Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What if my landlord won't sign my rent relief form?

Options
  • 09-09-2007 10:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭

my rent has been relatively affordable for the last so i didnt bother asking my landlord to sign a rent relif form but my landlord put up the rent this month so im going to ask him to fill out the rent relif form. if he says no, is there anything i can do? Im afraid he can just say no, and if i push it he can give me a months notice to leave. its alkward as he lives in the house also and we interact on a daily basis.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭SarahMc

You don't need him to sign it, it asks for his PPS number, but you can send in the form without it.

If he is living there, he is renting to you under the rent a room scheme, so he has nothing to fear, as it is tax exempt income.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Actually you don't even need his PPS number just his name and official address will do!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭fret_wimp

problem is he doesnt just rent out my room, but 3 rooms total, which puts the total rent way above the 7000 treshold.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

fret_wimp wrote:
    problem is he doesnt just rent out my room, but 3 rooms total, which puts the total rent way above the 7000 treshold.
    That's his problem if he's not declaring it, not yours.

As said, there's nothing on the rent relief form that the landlord has to fill out, so you can send it in whether he wants you to or not.

Be aware that if you're claiming back relief for previous years, you may be asked for receipts for the rent for those years. If you're claiming relief for this (and subsequent years) and you're not getting receipts, then start asking for them now.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

fret_wimp - you are entitled to claim rent-relief on the rent paid, irrespective of what the owner of the house does or does not do.

However- as the owner of the house is living there himself, strictly speaking you are not a tenant, simply living in the house under licence, and do not have the rights that a tenant would normally have. The owner can ask you to leave at any time, he does not have to give you notice. If you feel that chasing rent relief is likely to annoy him- perhaps the better course of action is simply not to tell him. His tax affairs should be in order- if they are not, that is his business, not yours.

If you do not have receipts- get back bank statements showing the transfers from your account into his (if you simply did this in cash, you may have a problem.....)

The extra people in the other bedrooms is the house owners problem- not yours.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭fret_wimp

ok, so i can send in the form myself, but if it pisses him off, as i share the house with him, he can kick me out at a moments notice, or so it seems! hes a really good guy and i hate for it to come to that, but i dont like being done out of money either.

Advertisement