Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turbulence in flight....your reaction

Options
  • 09-09-2007 10:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭

Wanted to post this for a while

Do you like/hate/love turbulence?

Personally I dont like it in the cruise, quite like it during descent and landing tho :D

Landing in Ireland...its mandatory!

Turbulence in flight.... 57 votes

Fun fun fun!
    0% 0 votes
    Slightly nervous
    66% 38 votes
    *Holds onto seat for dear life*
    33% 19 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

It didnt bother me for years and years until a few months back I was coming home from Italy and the plane took what felt like a huge drop in mid air. that scarred me for life to be honest and now i have a serious fear of flight. However reading this forum makes me feel better as I know that the plane can take serious turbulence etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

I love it! I especially like talking out *loud* about all the various movements and speed especially V1 V2 etc when on air and on ground, my best one to date was coming back from Spain 2 weeks ago an a BAe146RJ into EICM and one woman nearly wet herself about the "wings slowly coming off" to which i kinda shouted "Oh The flaps are coming down" :)

Actually does anybody like me have the knack of knowing when the Aircraft your either "Spotting" or travelling in is about to Rotate? Total Anorack I am!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭damo

You need another option up there - slight annoyance!

Certainly a bit of turbulence is nothing to worry about but its annoying as a passenger - id much prefer a smooth cruise.

When it comes to flying through it i enjoy it, the challange of keeping the plane straight and level through bad turbulence is alot more fun than a boring uneventful cruise imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

I had a bad experience on the way home from KEWR in a continental 757 to Shannon april last year. Moderate all the way home! Then on the descent into shanno the "bottom fell out of the aeroplane" once or twice! lol!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

I hit it over Lough Corrib at 5,000ft AGL it hit us from the top like a huge hand had slapped EI-GWY ( C172 ) on the topside, we dropped over 400ft!!!!:eek: :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,846 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

I ****ing love it! always adds to the excitement! Got worst (best) ever coming from Naples to Dublin in April! oh the laugh i had! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 16,618 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Continue reading magazine. If something really is wrong, what good is knowing about it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭WexCan

Hate it as a passenger, love it as crew. Go figure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

Whenever theres turbulence my eyes are firmly fixed on the cabin crew. If somethings wrong they will be first to know!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,187 ✭✭✭kensutz

Don't mind it at all. Flew back one weekend last year during heavy turbulence and one woman couldn't stop swearing it was so funny.

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭damo

Severe turbulence can do alot more than that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 668 ✭✭✭ch252

FUN FUN FUN!!!

Its makes the cruise a long flight that bit less boring!:D

Darragh:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

air crash investigation on national geographic yesterday was on the crash in new york American Airlines Flight 587, the plane came into some turbulence and the pilot reacted by stomping left and right on the rudder as he was trained - tore the tailplane off the airbus and killed 250 people, would make you think twice about turbulence

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭ian_m

On a Malaysian Airlines flight from Kuala Lumper to Heathrow the plane hit severe turbulence. Staff took our drinks and everybody returned to their seats. When the captain announced the cabin crew return to their seats I knew it was getting bad.

As they walked down the ailse to go back to their seats the plane dropped like Ive never felt before. People not wearing seat belts were thrown into the air. Shoes & magazines went flying. The guy in front of me was asleep across three seats was rudly awoken by slamming into the ceiling. Two of the cabin attendants were badly injured as they hit the ceiling also. People were screaming and crying. It was all over in a matter of seconds but it was horrific.

There was a doctor on board to help the injured and ambulances were waiting when we landed in Heathrow, 6 hours later.

Since then Ive never remained seated without my seatbelt fastened and I walk to the toilet holding onto the overhead lockers.

I still love flying though :)

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,799 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

ian_m wrote:
    Since then Ive never remained seated without my seatbelt fastened...
    Ditto. I'm always bewildered to hear a chorus of unfastening seatbelts the second the light switches off.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

To the best of my knowledge some passenger was killed on either a Japanese or Korean flight a number of years ago. He smashed his head on overhead locker.
    Since hearing that I always fly on passenegr jet like in small plane with seatbelt firmly fastened.

I would guess that the turbulence usually found in this part of world is probably minor in comparison to the stuff found in more tropical areas ?

I am not allowed discuss …

Some pretty bad stuff out over the pacific, and around japan. Japan is NOTORIOUS for turbulence

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

MooseJam wrote: »
    air crash investigation on national geographic yesterday was on the crash in new york American Airlines Flight 587, the plane came into some turbulence and the pilot reacted by stomping left and right on the rudder as he was trained - tore the tailplane off the airbus and killed 250 people, would make you think twice about turbulence

Think this was wake turbulence.

Have to say I am always slightly nervous taking off from busier airports such as Heathrow, particularly if I'm on an A320 and a 747 takes off in front of us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Oilrig

...try a helicopter in a gale ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Some pretty bad stuff out over the pacific, and around japan. Japan is NOTORIOUS for turbulence

Flew in and out of Narita last week....nice and smooth beautiful evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭cp251

Hate it when I hit my head on the roof and when trying to shoot a decent ILS. Otherwise just ignore it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭DavidKay

bombidol wrote: »
    Whenever theres turbulence my eyes are firmly fixed on the cabin crew. If somethings wrong they will be first to know!

Thats the reaction to watch!! If they appear stressed thats the time to join in!! But remember that the pilot wants to live too and while his is looking after his A** he will be looking after yours as well

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭Clytus

I think the stuff out over the pacific is called "clear air turbulence"...now I stand to be corrected...but isint that slightly different from regular turbulence..I think I remeber hearing a story on the news a few years back where one of Tony Blairs children returning from a trip to Australia was on a flight struck by clear air turbulence...and from what I know..I dont think an aircraft has ever been brought down purely from turbulence.

I was on a flight news years eve 1997 from Heathrow to Zurich..a BA 757...the turbulence was so bad when I looked down the asile I could see the "flex" in the fuselage...now that scared me...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Turbulence in small aircraft can be much scarier particularly if you encounter in mountains. Nothing like looking up at giant rock walls and you are getting the cr** kicked out of you :D
    Even scarier when in glider and you have no engine, just relying on Gods great lift.:)
    Still at least you can see out and know what is happening unlike stuck in middle of big tin can :(

I am not allowed discuss …

"regular" turbulence is caused by clouds, mountain waves etc

Clear air turbulence is just that- turbulence while flying through clear air with no apparent reason. Hence it is undetectable

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭durandal01

It's not the turbulence that bothers me, it is getting hit by a flying
    drinks trolley or some fat bloke falling on me.
    I remember once when flying into Heathrow, we went through what I think
    was a storm cell. Shaken to pieces and then hit by lightning to top it all off. Priceless.
    I have also experienced some hairy clear air turbulence over the Atlantic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭pclancy

Coming back from Beijing yesterday on a KLM 747 we hit very bad turbulance just after takeoff due to the nearby mountains. Looking back and watching the wing and two engines flexing like mad actually put a shiver down my spine even though i know just how strong the wings are....it still is weird to watch steel bend!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭empirix

Big time, although i hear a lot of flights around iceland - Canada area (big chunk i know!) get pretty bad turbelence

I'm with the guy reading the magazine, not wanting to know any bad stuff is happening.

• Advertisement

Yes, and especially out near Alaska/Anchorage (North Pacfic).

Generally there is less turbulence towards the poles, though.

I've been in some pretty bad CAT out over the Atlantic, in a 757! :o it was a clear night, the moon lit up the ocean...

Advertisement