Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2007-2008 NHL Season thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

article_11060_2.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Ottawa @ Montreal tonight on NASN at 12.30am.

Well my Blackhawks have had a pretty good week (so far).

The hawks beat Detroit for the fourth time this season and then had a long break (five days) before heading into Calgary last night to face 'Mad Mike' Keenan and the Flames in the Saddledome.

To make a long story short, the Hawks scored two shorthanded goals (this makes five in the last two games) to beat the Flames 2-1.

The Flames outshot the Hawks 2-1 on the night.

The Hawks now roll down PROVINCIAL ROUTE 2 to face the Oilers Saturday night, and then over to Vancouver to face the Canucks on Sunday.

This is the first Novermber roadtrip that the Hawks will have a winning record on as far ads I can remember.

The Ringling Brothers Circus traditionally has three weeks in the United Center in Novermber each year causing the Chicago Bull and Blackhawks to take to the road to play an extended period away from the UC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭Rhiannon14

Bruins ftw '07! :D

What the hell is wrong with the Philadelphia Flyers this year? Dirtiest team in sport at the moment.

First there was Downie on McAmmond (20 game ban)

Then Boulerice...(25 game ban)

Randy Jones...

Brad Richards...

And now Hartnell wants a piece of the action too.

Some serious disciplinary issues there. Seems to be working though, they're top of the conference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭BrianCalgary

I live in Calgary and am a Flames fan. Grew up in Toronto and loved the Leafs.

I hate the Habs and the Oilers. Used to hate Buffalo, don't mind them now.

I have been to NHL games in Toronto MLG, Detroit, Buffalo (the Aud), Chicago (the old Stadium), Winnipeg, Edmonton, Calgary and Vancouver.

The reason that the Sabres sold tickets for th eoutdoor game to those living in Southern ontario is because they understand that is their fan base.

Just like Celtics fan base is in Ireland. Although it is far more pronounced in Southern Ontario.

Flames are garbage so far this year.

You can watch games on www.myp2p.eu

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    What the hell is wrong with the Philadelphia Flyers this year? Dirtiest team in sport at the moment.

First there was Downie on McAmmond (20 game ban)

Some serious disciplinary issues there. Seems to be working though, they're top of the conference.

A throw back to the Broad Street Bullies days?

I still hate the Flyers from those days.

Welcome aboard Brian. Was in Calgary ten years ago next summer, loved the place. Unfortunately it wasn't hockey season at the time but I've always had a soft spot for the Flames (and hated the Oilers, obviously!).

Whats your connection with Ireland btw? Have you lived here?

My Mother is a Dublin girl, My wife is a Derry gril and my Dad is from Co. Down.

I have an Irish Passport, been to the Ro I 3 times and NI four.

I love the place and hope to move there within th enext few years. Then I may come to love the CBC, just to watch HNIC while away from Canada.

The Penguins are in town this Thursday for the first time in two or three years.

It's a hot ticket. Sidney Crosby is the selling point.

A wothwhile watch is the World Junior Championship that starts on Dec 26. There are times when I prefer Junior hockey to NHL.

• Advertisement

We get good coverage of the hockey over here now, we get HNIC every Saturday and hockey about 5 nights a week in total.

Penguins are in good form for a change, won 4 out of the last 5. Cheers for the heads-up on the Junior Championships, I don't think it will be covered over here but I'll keep an eye out for links online.

I was happy to see the Penguins win up the road on Wednesday. Not so pleased about last night. Giving up a short handed goal and then losing in a shoot-out.

:(

I was happy to see the Penguins win up the road on Wednesday. Not so pleased about last night. Giving up a short handed goal and then losing in a shoot-out.

:(

Yeah the Penguins seem to be edging themselves through some decent road victories at the moment. Thats the three Western Canadian teams disposed of in a matter of days. Just hope they can do it against the physicality of the Flyers, Laraque could be crucial. Good to see Letang take some of the limelight off Crosby and Malkin, with two shootout winners in two games.

This time three weeks from now I'll be on my way to the Big Apple, en route to Buffalo to see the Penguins and Sabres do battle in front of 73,000 fans. Can't wait!

Not as bad trip. I was tempted a few years back to make the trek to Edmonton for the outdoor game.

I couldn't go because of soccer coaching. It was a stinking freezing night. I hope this one works out alright.

Flames 3-2 Chicago. YES!!!!

Stayed up til the wee hours to watch the Penguins get absolutely destroyed last night. Two down within about four minutes and I thought it was over, lumped my money on the Flyers. Then they came back late on in the first and it looked like being game on, but the Flyers won both the second and third period by 3-0. Pretty grim stuff.

Watched the Ducks and Blue Jackets the night before, a really good, clean, physical game. Great to see Scott Niedermayer is coming back too. He took his sweet time though. One of the best players the game has seen, he'll be a huge boost for the Ducks attempt to retain the Stanley.

Stayed up til the wee hours to watch the Penguins get absolutely destroyed last night. Two down within about four minutes and I thought it was over, lumped my money on the Flyers. Then they came back late on in the first and it looked like being game on, but the Flyers won both the second and third period by 3-0. Pretty grim stuff.

Watched the Ducks and Blue Jackets the night before, a really good, clean, physical game. Great to see Scott Niedermayer is coming back too. He took his sweet time though. One of the best players the game has seen, he'll be a huge boost for the Ducks attempt to retain the Stanley.

I'm hoping Stanley goes somewhere decent this season. To a place that people will appreciate him.

Flames on a roll in the south with wins over Tampa and Florida. :)

• Advertisement

I'm hoping Stanley goes somewhere decent this season. To a place that people will appreciate him.

Somewhere like Canada!

Somewhere like Canada!

You got that right. Although I may draw the line at Montreal and Edmonton.

A cry goes over the NHL. Break up the Flames. Five, count'em, 5 straight road wins.

The Blackhawks have traded Ben Eager, the leagues penalty leader last season from the Flyers in exchange for Jim Vandermeer. Are the Flyers trying to get rid of the physicality tag? Eager led the league in minutes last season despite only playing in 63 games. Might be just what the 'Hawks need given how quickly Kane and Toews stardom is rising. Those two combined for a sweet goal last week, check it out if you get a chance.

In other (and slightly bigger, no disrespect) news, Scott Niedermayer is finally back at the Ducks after 35 games of limbo. It's come at the expense of Andy McDonald, the man who broke the Sens' hearts earlier this year and officially the fastest man in the league. He's been traded to St. Louis in exchange for Doug Weight, a prospect and 7th round pick. Guess it shows how much Anaheim Neids Scott...

I'm sorry...

Chris Simon yet again proves he doesn't belong on the ice. Only recently back from a 25 game suspension and he goes and does this and gets a 30 game ban. Good riddance.

There is conjecture that he'll never play in the NHL again.

• Advertisement

There is conjecture that he'll never play in the NHL again.

I am surprised that Simon is still playing. He is in no way the player he was when he was with Washington (of course he was on a line with Adam Oates which helped him put up 29 goals in 99/00).

I am surprised that Simon is still playing.

He's definitely not the worst on the ice when he's playing. It's just the fact that he is a completely loose cannon and can't really be trusted at any stage. After serving the longest ever suspension in the league you would think he'd lie low for a bit. Yeah, right. How about a longer suspension, and some therapy?

Nutcase. And wouldn't be missed, even by Islanders fans.

The Blackhawks have traded Ben Eager, the leagues penalty leader last season from the Flyers in exchange for Jim Vandermeer. Are the Flyers trying to get rid of the physicality tag? Eager led the league in minutes last season despite only playing in 63 games. Might be just what the 'Hawks need given how quickly Kane and Toews stardom is rising. Those two combined for a sweet goal last week, check it out if you get a chance.

Eager was 'chased' out of Philly for lack of a better word.

He didn't have a point to his name, took stupid penalites and was getting his ass kicked by men in their 40s.

He is a former 1st round pick who needed a change of scenery.

Jimmy Vandermeer is a class act. I have always had the time for Jim. He has not been the same player that he was two seasons ago (for some reason) , but he is still a 'heart and soul guy'

I wish Jim the best in Philadelphia (who are very happy to bring him back).

Eager has been servicable since coming over to the Hawks. He has been 'restrained' and he had an assist in his first game, and a fight in his second game for the Hawks.

Both games were 'come from behind' wind against Ottawa and Edmonton.

The Hawks have Nashville in the United Center on St Stephen's Day and Los Angeles on Sunday the 30th.

The Hawks are on a three game win streak after having a dismal start to the month of December. Hopefully the Predators and Kings are exactly what we need to see 2007 out with a bang.

The game against Edmonton on Sunday was the largest crowd of the season 20,000+ (just short of a full sellout) . This was the most animated crowd at the United Center in quite a long time.

To thank the fans for coming out and being behind the team the Hawks, led by Adam Burish, Patrick Sharp and Marin Lapointe came out and saluted the fans and then threw their sticks into the crowd after the win.

Class move by the players who know how important the fans are going to be as the season rolls on.

Eager was 'chased' out of Philly for lack of a better word.

He didn't have a point to his name, took stupid penalites and was getting his ass kicked by men in their 40s.

He is a former 1st round pick who needed a change of scenery.

Jimmy Vandermeer is a class act. I have always had the time for Jim. He has not been the same player that he was two seasons ago (for some reason) , but he is still a 'heart and soul guy'

I wish Jim the best in Philadelphia (who are very happy to bring him back).

Eager has been servicable since coming over to the Hawks. He has been 'restrained' and he had an assist in his first game, and a fight in his second game for the Hawks.

Both games were 'come from behind' wind against Ottawa and Edmonton.

The Hawks have Nashville in the United Center on St Stephen's Day and Los Angeles on Sunday the 30th.

The Hawks are on a three game win streak after having a dismal start to the month of December. Hopefully the Predators and Kings are exactly what we need to see 2007 out with a bang.

The game against Edmonton on Sunday was the largest crowd of the season 20,000+ (just short of a full sellout) . This was the most animated crowd at the United Center in quite a long time.

To thank the fans for coming out and being behind the team the Hawks, led by Adam Burish, Patrick Sharp and Marin Lapointe came out and saluted the fans and then threw their sticks into the crowd after the win.

Class move by the players who know how important the fans are going to be as the season rolls on.

Nice move by the players for sure. Kings isn't exactly the toughest game these days, you can chalk up another two points there I'd say. :D

The Penguins have sold out 31 home games straight now. Two guesses as to why...

Nice move by the players for sure. Kings isn't exactly the toughest game these days, you can chalk up another two points there I'd say. :D

The Penguins have sold out 31 home games straight now. Two guesses as to why...

Pretty similar to the two reasons that the Hawks are generating interest in Chicago.

Four wins in a row for my Blackhawks as they beat the Nashville Predators 5-2 in the United Center tonight.

The Western Conference is a log jam of teams after Detroit at the moment with nine points separating #2-#10.

The Hawks welcome the slumping LA Kings to the UC on Sunday. The Kings have lost seven in a row.

Canadiens 2-0 up in Tampa in the first, on NASN at the moment. Looking good value for their lead as well. First time I've seen Tampa this year and LeCav isn't up to much just yet. Nor is St. Louis, Richards looks the best of their big-guns so far.

Goals were by Lapierre and Latendresse.

I'll do this according to Conference:
    Eastern Team GP W L OT PTS
    1. Ottawa * 38 25 9 4 54
    2. New Jersey * 38 21 14 3 45
    3. Carolina * 41 20 18 3 43
    4. Montreal 39 19 13 7 45
    5. NY Rangers 39 20 15 4 44
    6. Philadelphia 37 19 14 4 42
    7. Pittsburgh 38 20 16 2 42
    8. NY Islanders 38 20 16 2 42

9. Boston 39 19 16 4 42
    10. Buffalo 37 19 16 2 40
    11. Florida 39 18 18 3 39
    12. Atlanta 40 19 20 1 39
    13. Toronto 39 15 16 8 38
    14. Washington 39 15 19 5 35
    15. Tampa Bay 39 15 21 3 33

Here is the Western Conference as of 31/12/2007
    Western Team GP W L OT PTS
    1. Detroit * 40 29 8 3 61
    2. Dallas * 40 23 13 4 50
    3. Vancouver * 40 22 14 4 48
    4. San Jose 39 22 12 5 49
    5. Minnesota 39 22 15 2 46
    6. Colorado 39 21 15 3 45
    7. Calgary 40 19 14 7 45
    8. Anaheim 41 19 17 5 43

9. St. Louis 37 19 14 4 42
    10. Columbus 39 18 15 6 42
    11. Chicago 37 19 15 3 41
    12. Nashville 38 18 18 2 38
    13. Phoenix 37 18 18 1 37
    14. Edmonton 40 16 20 4 36
    15. Los Angeles 40 14 24 2 30

Defending Stanley Cup Champions the Anaheim Ducks may be on the outisde looking in. They currently sit in the 8th position with 43 points and 41 games played

St Louis and Chicago have played four fewer games.
    Columbus two fewers.

Long way to go as teams reach the mid-way point of the NHL season.

My Blackhawks got their asses handed to them last night by the worst team in hockey.

Losa Angeles whipped the Hawks 9-2 for their thrid win in a row in this home and home series.

To make matters worse, Jonathon Toews left the game with a strained knee and will miss two to four weeks.

2008 is off to a really bad start for the Blackhawks.

I think it may be fair to say that Denis Savard's job may be in jeopardy right now. His constant line combinations/swapping is really starting to get old .....fast.

• Advertisement

And the Flames roll on. To think that I had given up on them

Nice to beat Vancouver, Finally.

[U]Eastern Conference[/U]
    [B]ATLANTIC 	[/B][B]GP 	W 	L 	OTL 	PTS 	GF 	GA 	PP% 	PK% 	HOME 	AWAY 	L10[/B]
    New Jersey 	42 	24 	15 	3 	51 	103 	98 	14.4 	82.9 	13-5-0 11-10-3 	7-3-0
    Pittsburgh 	42 	24 	16 	2 	50 	123 	115 	18.6 	80.4 	12-8-2 	12-8-0 	8-2-0
    Philadelphia 	40 	21 	15 	4 	46 	122 	111 	22.8 	82.1 	8-5-4 	13-10-0 5-4-1
    NY Islanders 	42 	20 	17 	5 	45 	100 	117 	16.6 	86.1 	13-7-2 	7-10-3 	5-2-3
    NY Rangers 	43 	20 	18 	5 	45 	105 	109 	18.0 	84.3 	13-9-0 	7-9-5 	3-5-2
    [B]NORTHEAST 	GP 	W 	L 	OTL 	PTS 	GF 	GA 	PP% 	PK% 	HOME 	AWAY 	L10[/B]
    Ottawa 	        41 	27 	10 	4 	58 	148 	116 	18.7 	83.5 	13-6-2 	14-4-2 	6-3-1
    Montreal 	42 	21 	13 	8 	50 	130 	120 	24.9 	80.1 	8-7-5 	13-6-3 	5-2-3
    Boston 	        42 	21 	17 	4 	46 	108 	109 	19.6 	78.6 	11-7-2 	10-10-2 3-6-1
    Buffalo 	41 	19 	18 	4 	42 	121 	119 	18.2 	83.4 	11-8-1 	8-10-3 	3-4-3
    Toronto 	43 	16 	19 	8 	40 	120 	141 	13.8 	79.5 	8-8-5 	8-11-3 	2-6-2
    [B]SOUTHEAST 	GP 	W 	L 	OTL 	PTS 	GF 	GA 	PP% 	PK% 	HOME 	AWAY 	L10[/B]
    Carolina 	45 	22 	19 	4 	48 	135 	141 	18.8 	76.4 	10-8-2 	12-11-2 4-5-1
    Atlanta 	44 	21 	22 	1 	43 	125 	146 	17.4 	77.5 	11-11-0 10-11-1 5-5-0
    Florida 	43 	19 	21 	3 	41 	105 	118 	19.1 	81.6 	9-10-2 	10-11-1 4-5-1
    Washington 	43 	18 	20 	5 	41 	119 	132 	16.4 	81.2 	9-10-1 	9-10-4 	5-2-3
    Tampa Bay 	43 	16 	22 	5 	37 	126 	147 	18.7 	81.0 	12-8-2 	4-14-3 	2-6-2

[U]Western Conference[/U]
    [B]CENTRAL 	GP 	W 	L 	OTL 	PTS 	GF 	GA 	PP% 	PK% 	HOME 	AWAY 	L10[/B]
    Detroit 	44 	33 	8 	3 	69 	152 	90 	23.1 	86.5 	18-3-1 	15-5-2 	8-2-0
    St. Louis 	40 	21 	14 	5 	47 	103 	100 	12.1 	86.7 	13-7-3 	8-7-2 	5-2-3
    Nashville 	42 	21 	19 	2 	44 	121 	122 	15.2 	84.2 	12-7-1 	9-12-1 	7-3-0
    Columbus 	43 	19 	18 	6 	44 	106 	108 	14.9 	86.4 	13-6-4 	6-12-2 	5-5-0
    Chicago 	43 	19 	20 	4 	42 	122 	129 	17.7 	81.7 	12-11-1 7-9-3 	3-5-2
    [B]NORTHWEST 	GP 	W 	L 	OTL 	PTS 	GF 	GA 	PP% 	PK% 	HOME 	AWAY 	L10[/B]
    Vancouver 	42 	24 	14 	4 	52 	111 	95 	17.2 	83.5 	13-6-2 	11-8-2 	7-2-1
    Calgary 	44 	22 	15 	7 	51 	130 	129 	17.8 	80.2 	10-8-6 	12-7-1 	6-2-2
    Minnesota 	42 	23 	17 	2 	48 	111 	117 	20.0 	83.2 	14-7-0 	9-10-2 	5-5-0
    Colorado 	43 	22 	18 	3 	47 	120 	121 	13.3 	81.4 	16-6-0 	6-12-3 	3-5-2
    Edmonton 	44 	19 	21 	4 	42 	115 	131 	13.5 	83.9 	10-11-1 9-10-3 	3-5-2
    [B]PACIFIC 	GP 	W 	L 	OTL 	PTS 	GF 	GA 	PP% 	PK% 	HOME 	AWAY 	L10[/B]
    Dallas 	        45 	25 	16 	4 	54 	132 	115 	19.3 	87.8 	13-7-2 	12-9-2 	6-4-0
    San Jose 	41 	23 	12 	6 	52 	105 	94 	15.3 	87.0 	7-9-4 	16-3-2 	6-2-2
    Anaheim 	46 	23 	17 	6 	52 	117 	119 	16.8 	81.0 	14-6-4 	9-11-2 	7-2-1
    Phoenix 	41 	22 	18 	1 	45 	109 	108 	16.4 	81.0 	8-10-1 	14-8-0 	7-2-1
    Los Angeles 	44 	15 	27 	2 	32 	123 	150 	20.2 	76.9 	9-15-1 	6-12-1 	3-7-0

Thursday, January 10
    New Jersey at Carolina, 7:00 PM
    Philadelphia at NY Rangers, 7:00 PM
    Florida at Atlanta, 7:00 PM
    Montreal at Boston, 7:30 PM
    Minnesota at Detroit, 7:30 PM
    Buffalo at Ottawa, 7:30 PM
    Pittsburgh at Tampa Bay, 7:30 PM
    Dallas at St. Louis, 8:30 PM
    Phoenix at Edmonton, 9:00 PM
    Toronto at Los Angeles, 10:30 PM
    Vancouver at San Jose, 10:30 PM

Penguins on their best streak now since 98/99, inspired by JoeSoaps heroic trek across the Atlantic to spur them on. Ty Conklin is the form goalie in the NHL right now, unbeaten in all of his eight starts so far this season. His GAA in the last seven games is 1.28, two shutouts and a save % of .941. Crosby is on another point streak, nine games in a row for 16 points. As a unit they seem to just be getting it done, the shifts are shorter and the penalties are down, it's exactly what needed to be done.

That said, tonight is a huge banana skin.

Le Cavalier vs the Penguins has 13 goals in his last 13 games. He's on a mini-streak of his own with points in five consecutive games, and is sitting pretty at the top of the goal chart. The Penguins haven't beaten Tampa in nearly 5 years to the day, losing the last 12 meetings. I wouldn't look at the league standings whilst predicting tonights game.

Goaltenders / All-Star Appearances
    Manny Legace, St. Louis Blues 1st
    Evgeni Nabokov, San Jose Sharks 2nd
    Chris Osgood, Detroit Red Wings 2nd

Defensemen / All-Star Appearances
    *Nicklas Lidstrom, Detroit Red Wings 10th
    *Dion Phaneuf, Calgary Flame 2nd
    Ed Jovanovski, Phoenix Coyotes 5th
    Duncan Keith, Chicago Blackhawks 1st
    Chris Pronger, Anaheim Ducks 5th
    Sergei Zubov, Dallas Stars 4th

Forwards / All-Star Appearances
    *Henrik Zetterberg, Detroit Red Wings 2nd
    *Pavel Datsyuk, Detroit Red Wings 2nd
    *Jarome Iginla, Calgary Flames 4th
    Jason Arnott, Nashville Predators 2nd
    Marian Gaborik, Minnesota Wild 2nd
    Ryan Getzlaf, Anaheim Ducks 1st
    Shawn Horcoff, Edmonton Oilers 1st
    Anze Kopitar, Los Angeles Kings 1st
    Rick Nash, Columbus Blue Jackets 3rd
    Henrik Sedin, Vancouver Canucks 1st
    Paul Stastny, Colorado Avalanche 1st
    Joe Thornton, San Jose Sharks 5th

* - denotes starter. I'd imagine either Osgood or "Legs" Legace will get the start in Luongo's absence and both get a good spell in nets. The Eastern panel is announced tomorrow but the starters are...

Brodeur

Chara----Markov

--Alfredsson----Crosby---LeCav----

Good to see all of us on this thread are represented anyway!

4-1 Pens, one (good) run continues and another (bad) one is broken. This season is picking up pace nicely. Unfortunately the Devils matched the result and stay top of the division.

Also, how unpredictable are LA these days? In their last five games they've lost by 7 and won by 7, and surprised the Leafs last night with 5 goals in the first 26 minutes in a 5-2 win.

Ovechkin:

Signed the biggest contract in NHL history, $124 million over 13 years. Mental stuff, would in theory keep him in Washington until he turns 35. Huge risk for Washington in my opinion, you can't doubt his ability at all but as SI says...

Think about it. Thirteen years. By the time Ovechkin's term in Washington expires in 2021, Americans will have elected four presidents. Canadians might sit enthralled as testimony before the Royal Commission Exploring Why We Didn't Win Gold at the 2018 Olympic enters its third, riveting year. Shoot, Chris Chelios might even have retired. Point is, a lot can happen in 13 years.

Hehe. Interesting that AO was his own agent in the negotiations too, not just a pretty face!

Beast of the East vs Best of the West

Ottawa prevailed tonight, after giving up a 2-0 lead in the third. Alfie got himself two, one being the winner and Mike Fisher, the nicest guy in hockey, got a goal and assist.

Sabres Poor Form Continues...

I make that nine without a win now, very poor from a team who really haven't got over the loss of Drury (who had a goal tonight) and Briere.

Pens Streak Ends

Sid The Kid had two goals but the decent shootout form wasn't in evidence as Letang, Malkin, Sykora and Sid all missed after the game had finished 2-2. Certainly better than a regulation defeat and will hopefully have less of an impact on morale than that would have.

CuJo to return!

And either to the Sharks or Flames by the looks of things (the two sides with the most worked goalies in the league, coincidence?). Would be slightly ironic to see him come in to ease the load off either Nabokov or Kiprusov given what happened in '03-'04 with himself and Hasek in Detroit. A welcome return regardless. Now all we need is Selanne to make his bloody mind up and it'll be a great end to the season for all the old-timers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Dunlainge

What does anyone make of the Toronto Maple Leafs season so far?
    They are going terribly. As a fan, their matches are horrible to watch. It is very unlikely that they will make the Playoffs this year, unless they sack the GM and bring in someone who has a clue. They need to make some serious trades, and get some big players in if they are going to have any chance of pushing for a Playoff spot.

In work so can't say too much, but they'll on a huge slump and it doesn't seem like stopping any time soon. Lost five on the bounce and something like 3 wins in their last 12, isn't it? Only the Sabres are really on worse form at the moment.

As for bringing in new star players, I'd be more concerned about keeping Sundin and Wellwood. Can't see them both being there at the end of the season.

If any one knew what to do with the Leafs they would make a fortune. As someone who grew up in Toronto and an avid fan, it sure is disappointing.

I have lived in Calgary now since 1987 and am a Flames fan, but still have a softspot for the Leafs.

Inm fact I don't know if I have even watched them this season. There is just so much hockey on TV between the Flames, Canucks and Oilers, plus odds and ends on TSN, who cover Northeastern US teams the most.

Boy am I ranting, must be losing to the Oilers last night. :(

I ceretainly think Iginla and Phaneuf are deserving. I was surprised by Phaneuf, I guess the Saddleome faithful did their job in stuffing the ballot box.

• Advertisement

Always horrible to lose the Battle of Alberta Brian.

As regards Toronto, you've got to feel for Paul Maurice. Seems like one of the more genuine and passionate coaches in the league, it just isn't working for him for whatever reason. There has been a lot of talk of Sundin leaving (even possibly to return at the end of this season) but he seems to be hugely committed and as passionate about the Leafs as his coach. Whether that could wear thin if they don't pick up form very soon remains to be seen, but either way the playoffs don't look a huge likelyhood at this point in time.

That said, the East is so darn tight and distinctly average at the moment any team could change a huge number of places with a change in form. It's looking 70-30 that this years SC winners will be from the West again.

Penguins and Rangers live from the 'burgh on Setanta tonight at midnight. Luckily I've a big lie-in tomorrow. :D

PS - CuJo has signed with the Flames! Hasn't he a history with Keenan?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 smithdogg AU

i went to see the habs beat tampa bay over christmas.. was totally awesome!

Are you a Habs fan?

Always horrible to lose the Battle of Alberta Brian.

Interestingly enough, the Hitmen where trouncing the Oil Kings in WHL action at the Saddledome. SO teh Battle of Alberta came out 1-1 that evening.

There has been talk of a history between Cujo and Keenan. Keenan seems to have a history with all the stars he has coached in the past. He has done the unthinkable a few times this year in pulling Kipper when the team has been behind.

Whatever the history all seem to be happy about CuJo coming, except McIlhenney of course. But he has a great attitude, says he looks forward to Quad Cities in teh AHL, where he'll get playing time.

He has done the unthinkable a few times this year in pulling Kipper when the team has been behind.

Strange because Kipper is widely regarded as one of those goaltenders who can bounce back from conceding goals, especially soft ones. That said, he is still the most played goalie in the NHL alongside Nabokov, both of whom are on course for 80 game regular seasons. Not that it will happen with CuJo at the Dome now.

Last nights game was on TV here, watched up to about halfway and fell asleep with the score at 0-0. Seems like I missed out. :(

• Advertisement

Kipper is as cool as a cucumber. I think Keenan does it for two r4easons: 1 to shake up th eteam and 2 to give poor Kipper a bit of a rest.

I saw the latter part of the third, the OT and shootout. Phaneuf blasted a shot from about 10 feet. Hit the Minnesota Goalie in the upper chest and hurt him.

Then Iggy scored to secure the much needed point.

Kipper is as cool as a cucumber. I think Keenan does it for two r4easons: 1 to shake up th eteam and 2 to give poor Kipper a bit of a rest.

I saw the latter part of the third, the OT and shootout. Phaneuf blasted a shot from about 10 feet. Hit the Minnesota Goalie in the upper chest and hurt him.

Then Iggy scored to secure the much needed point.

Other than Huselius, I love Iginla and Phaneuf. Although I grew up loving Theo Fleury, it would be amazing for Iggy to break the record into pieces as he is a class act and a model professional.

Phaneuf has the world at his feet right now. To be that good at such a young age, in that position, is unbelievable.

The goal of the season competition ended yesterday.

Rick Nash got a high-sticking penalty with 3:12 to go in the Blue Jackets game in Phoenix, with his side leading 3-2.

The Coyotes scored on the powerplay and Nash returned to the ice to do this with 21.5 seconds left on the clock, and win the game.

I am still going to stick with Jonathon Toews for the goal of the year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obp8G2JFgkM

Other than Huselius, I love Iginla and Phaneuf. Although I grew up loving Theo Fleury, it would be amazing for Iggy to break the record into pieces as he is a class act and a model professional.

Phaneuf has the world at his feet right now. To be that good at such a young age, in that position, is unbelievable.

Good ole Theo, what a character. I watched him in a couple of games with Moose Jaw. It's one of the great things about Calgary, we are still just small enogh, and more so in the mid 90's.

Our babysitter used to babysit at the Fleury household with her friend. I have pumped gas next to Theo and he is very personable. Have run into Lanny McDonald and his wife, real class act.
    My son trick-or-treated at Dave Lowrys place. Used to walk by Gary Roberts house and see him on his deck.

Although as the city grows you just don't run into them as often. John Tonelli carrying his kids equipment bag into Bonavisat Arena wa kinda cool.

As for Phaneuf, with the new CBA, we get to keep him. :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement