Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Czech Vs Ireland

14567810»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

KdjaCL wrote:
    i dont accept we were better ver 90 international minutes they slaughtered us, no excuses for the manager or players
    Can you remember why they slaughtered us but strangely enough we didn't get slaughtered by the Czechs in the next match?

The omission of Carsley, who he was forced to include due to pressure by press and fans alike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 426 ✭✭DaveH

Quote:
    What have any of you seen in these qualifiers that suggest we should qualify?

I agree with this. I dont like Stanuton as a coach and I was prepared to give the benefiit of the doubt up until his subs on Saturday.

However the real fact is we just dont have the players. Espically in Midfield.

Carsely and Kilbane are not under pressure to start for a reason. The reason being theres no one much better then them!!

I would personally like Ron Atkinson to be the Irish manager, but in all fairness I dont think we would be that much better. Only Improvements would have been Crypus + San Marino away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

OK WTF just happened to this thread!?!? I go out for an hour and suddenly we've got a soccer mod and one of the most prominant posters here talking complete nonsense.

KdjacL, you may not believe you are trolling, maybe you do. But the fact is you are completely avoiding the questions you know you can't answer. Like what you said about Cyprus suddenly being a better team than Ireland. And then you post the table which has Ireland above Cyprus in the table!! Naturally enough, you havent admitted to contradicting yourself. All you've done is, like one of the other posters said, repeat the same statements over and over without actually answering what we want to hear!

Unless you actually read what the guys here are saying, and properly answer their questions, you will go down in history ( I think ) as the first mod to troll his own forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

DaveH wrote:
    Only Improvements would have been Crypus + San Marino away.

would have given us a good chance of qualification

He's gone all quiet. What's the odds he's lying on the floor after falling off the computer chair with an empty bottle of whiskey in his hand?

• Advertisement

BaZmO* wrote:
    The omission of Carsley, who he was forced to include due to pressure by press and fans alike.

That is absoulte rubbish. If he was his own man he wouldnt pick Carsley if he didnt want to.

That was the first mistake I thought Stan Made. Im no way near Carsley fan, always thought he was a poor player, however I would pick him because
    1.He is the only kicker in the Irish team
    2.We needed some experience in the team
    3.He is the only defensive midfield player we have!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

event wrote:
    this is not stans fault though

no away competitive goals in 7 years?

when is the last time you saw keane perform brilliantly in a qualifier?

Granted, Keane hasn't showed much form at all for Ireland since 2002, even under Kerr. But it's only recently (under Stan) that Doyle has emerged. Keane/Doyle is a very good partnership potentially, with Doyle as a front striker and Keane playing just off him. But Keane doesn't play just off him, he plays like he does for Spurs, legging it all over the shop looking for the ball (I think since he's become captain he might feel like he has some sort of responsibility to track back and look to get on the ball). This doesn't work IMO, it leaves Doyle isolated, it drags our wingers all over the place and it removes any shape to our play.

It is, however, a solvable problem. If Stevo Staunt put on his finest Drogheda accent and said "Here, Robbie, I'm the gaffer! Stay up top with Doyler. I'm the gaffer! Leave Stephen Ireland/Andy Reid to act as creative players from midfield. And remember, I'm the gaffer!" then I think that partnership would run a lot more smooth. Then, if we go ahead, drop Robbie back onto the wing to do all the tracking back he wants and defend the lead a bit.

i dont think its too much to expect a response from him.

hopefully when i get into work in the morning it'll be there!

do we pm him to report his own trolling or how does that work??? only joking :P

DaveH wrote:
    That is absoulte rubbish. If he was his own man he wouldnt pick Carsley if he didnt want to.

That was the first mistake I thought Stan Made. Im no way near Carsley fan, always thought he was a poor player, however I would pick him because
    1.He is the only kicker in the Irish team
    2.We needed some experience in the team
    3.He is the only defensive midfield player we have!
    What? All those reasons are why he should of played in the Cyprus game.

BaZmO* wrote:
    What? All those reasons are why he should of played in the Cyprus game.
    Sorry Bazmo,
    I must have taken you up wrong there. I thought you were giving out about Carsley been in the team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

BaZmO* wrote:
    He's gone all quiet. What's the odds he's lying on the floor after falling off the computer chair with an empty bottle of whiskey in his hand?
    I lol'd at that image :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,081 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Christ on a pedal boat!

It seems the forums gone nuts! NUTS!

Well another tournement qualifier campaign has gone pear shaped.

Really disappointed. I really wish someone had been there from the start to galvanize the team into a unit. Someone who could have decided on a best 11 and worked around it with injuries etc. Someone who didn't swap fullbacks for the laugh..

I almost feel like theres gonna be some big reveal and we'll find we've all been part of a big reality show! Stan will peal off a mask and we'll see Jeremy Beadle's chubby smiling face, he'll explain to us that 2 years ago the FAI promised not to tell anyone about a big secret that we'd get a free pass to Euro 2008 and WC 2010 if we allowed our national team to be made fools of in the name of comedy, complete with gag teamsheets, wacky substitutions and hilarious explanations!

Unfortunately no, reality bites.

I wholeheartedly feel we had the talent in our squad to have at least made a far more proud and industrious attack on this group. Instead we've whimpered into 3rd. I blame the players for a lack of attitude, fire and belief. I blame the manager for this lack of belief due to his clearly dubious motivational qualities, as well as his lack of tactical nous and common sense. Im also angry with him for treating the punters like idiots and children, forever claiming everything was grand, nothing to worry about "sure we'd have been happy with 4 points anyway" - what about 1 point stan? Huh?

I have little doubt Stan will go, but i fear this won't be the end. Somethings rotten in the state of the FAI and until there are vast improvements in every area, particularly the personnel, we're always going to be on the back foot.

Should we keep 3rd spot and enter as 3rd seeds for the WC groups we still have a decent chance of the WC, but we'll need a strong manager who ,at the moment, i cant see being appointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Devious

Whew, what a thread! I was actually getting angrier and angrier with each of Kdjacl's posts until I realised he was drunk/trolling/demented (or possibly all three!).

Anyway, heres hoping they appoint a new manager sooner rather than later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

~Rebel~ wrote:

I almost feel like theres gonna be some big reveal and we'll find we've all been part of a big reality show! Stan will peal off a mask and we'll see Jeremy Beadle's chubby smiling face, he'll explain to us that 2 years ago the FAI promised not to tell anyone about a big secret that we'd get a free pass to Euro 2008 and WC 2010 if we allowed our national team to be made fools of in the name of comedy, complete with gag teamsheets, wacky substitutions and hilarious explanations!

I lol'd!! Well not really but it was funny, I did one of those exhale-through-yer-nose semi-laughs.

~Rebel~ wrote:
    Really disappointed.
    Oddly enough I'm not actually overly disappointed, well certainly not as disappointed as I have been in the past.
    Before the match I actually resigned myself to the fact that we weren't going to get a result. No away wins (of any significance) in the last 20 years, so what has happened during this campaign to suggest last night was going to be any different? Nowt!!

~Rebel~ wrote:
    I have little doubt Stan will go
    Go where? Go on holidays? Go back to home to count out the money that he's gotten for the FAI so far for a below par performance? Because he certainly won't be sacked. All the FAI and Stan have to do is ride out the criticism for the next couple of days and then it'll all be forgotten about especially with the Rugby on the weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Out of interest, is the last significant away win in a qualifier considered to be Scotland in 87? Did an Irish team ever win a key away game before that? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

LuckyLloyd wrote:
    Out of interest, is the last significant away win in a qualifier considered to be Scotland in 87? Did an Irish team ever win a key away game before that? :confused:

I would of thought beating Spain in I think it was 66 was significant, more so than the scotland ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

ntlbell wrote:
    I would of thought beating Spain in I think it was 66 was significant, more so than the scotland ;)

Well yeah, that's what I was thinking. Beating Scotland away is kinda, meh (even back then). Jaysus. What a piss poor record we have away from home.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

I think it's been years since we actually came from behind to get a result too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

fup sake, that's two match threads effectively ruined.

I said it before the match that Stan only decent decisions are when he has his hand forced and has no other alternatives, like finally bringing Hunt on. Hunt had such an impact on the game, completely overshadowed the rest of the players. i've no doubt in my mind that had Hunt come on for even the last 15 mins in Slovakia we would have won it, and had he not been sent off yesterday i'd have been pretty confident that we would have gotten a consolation against the Czechs. It's criminal how Stan only thought to include him after all other options have been exhausted.

McGeady was woeful, and that was definitely the worst performance i've seen from him to date. he has absolutely no positional sense at all, when he picks up the ball he just wanders around like a headless chicken. he is incapable of doing any defending, in fact i would have McGeady partly culpable for the Czech goal. that was his man who scored and at the time he was in the RB position as Jankulovski was going through. an intelligent player might have thought to overlap with Dunne seeing as it became pretty obvious early on that DUnne was going to commit himself. McGeady looks for a second like he will sprint back, but then just stops dead as Dunne gets rounded. ****er.

On the defense, not one of them can ****ing pass it seems. they have a really bad habit of every time the ball comes their way of just lumping it forward. these are all premier league players, why the **** do they look like amateurs in an Irish shirt all the time? they just bypass the midfield and make life really difficult for the likes of Keane and Doyle. there seems to be a refusal of the Irish players to approach any game intelligently. it was the problem under Kerr and has now carried forward it seems. hopeless...

anyway **** it, time to stop the rants for another year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

ziggy67 wrote:
    Do you think that Irelands record away is partly due to them playing virtually all their friendlies at home?
    Was thinking about that recently and was hoping that the redevelopment of Lansdowne would in someway help counteract this in the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

smemon wrote:
    O Neill would be a favourite of mine

Keep dreaming :rolleyes: Martin O'Neill would never work for a mickey mouse operation like the FAI, plus he is too outspoken and not the 'yes man' that Delaney and the rest of the clowns at the FAI are used to dealing with.
    smemon wrote:
    Villa lack cash, they're never going to challenge the big boys and 7th/8th spot is the best they can hope for.. O'Neill certainly has them 'safe' from the drop, unlike the guys before him...

Totally off topic but Villa's new billionaire chairman has spend around £40million over the last 12 months on players. How is that 'lacking cash'? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

http://www.fai.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2407

Senior squad making progress

FAI officials believe that the senior international squad is making progress despite last night’s disappointing result in Prague against the Czech Republic. Ireland lost 1-0 and saw control of their Euro 2008 qualification hopes slip out of their hands.

Speaking to www.fai.ie, FAI President David Blood said: “Last night’s defeat was the first in ten games and I thought that the team deserved something for their display. They showed great character to recover from the setback of conceding an early goal and came close to equalising on several occasions.

“Like everybody else, the FAI is disappointed with the result in Prague but the performance offers a lot of hope for the future. Stephen, his backroom team and the players must continue the work they are doing.

The senior international team is in transition. In the nine games we have played in this campaign Stephen has used 32 players which is well above the average of 21 over the previous ten campaigns. In addition 15 players have been given their first taste of competitive action and I have no doubt more will follow in the remaining three games.

“Stephen is a young manager but he has already put his stamp on the squad and has been instrumental in fast-tracking young emerging talent through the ranks.

“While qualification for Euro 2008 is now out of our own control we still want to finish as high as possible in the group and also improve our seeding for the 2010 World Cup campaign ahead of the draw on November 25.”

Chief Executive John Delaney said the association is firmly focused on ensuring that future transition periods will not require the type of surgery currently being performed by Staunton

We are taking steps to ensure that we improve the conveyor belt of future talent coming through to our senior international team with the introduction of the Emerging Talent and High Performance Programmes and the creation of a National Academy at Abbotstown. The results of that investment won’t reap dividends immediately but will over the medium to long term..

“Despite their result last night, people now look on France as a footballing power and nobody refers to the wilderness years of French football when, after winning the European Championships in 1984 and finishing fourth in the 1982 World Cup and third in the 1986 World Cup, they failed to qualify for Euro ’88, Italia ’90, and US ’94. They did qualify for Euro ’92 but failed to win a game in the group stages.

“However, during that period they ploughed significant resources into the technical side of their game and have qualified for every tournament over the past ten years, winning the World Cup in ’98 and Euro 2000 as well as finishing runners-up in the 2006 World Cup and reaching the semi-finals of Euro ’96.

The French Federation invested resources in the development of elite players and FAI is mirroring that strategy even though we are working off a much smaller population base and, therefore, reservoir of talent. We will spend €10m this year on our Development Plan and in the past eight years we have grown our coaching staff from two employees to over 80 today with more on the way.

“In addition to Emerging Talent and High Performance we also have development strategies for other key areas of our game while more, such as the review of the amateur and schoolboys game, are currently being devised.

“We are putting more coaches on the ground to work on the development of the game and our players. The FAI is determined that we improve our success rate in qualifying for major tournaments but the required level of success is created by hard work and patience and not by waving a magic wand.

“We are already making huge progress on key projects such as the construction of the New Stadium and the establishment of new headquarters for the association at Abbotstown as well as focusing on our core business of fostering and promoting the game at all levels. We have over 450,000 participants and are working hard to improve every aspect of the game. We have made tremendous strides over the past two years across the game and are determined to continue to build the game for the future.”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

what a steaming pile of sh*t. well at least they've made their intentions clear, another 2 years of Stan anyway.

Well, I hear from a source that an FAI official said last night that if Stan wants to go, they won't stand in his way.

off topic a bit.

Is Joe Duffy still on his holliers, I wouldn't mind listening this afternoon.

wat a load of bollox

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

do we pm him to report his own trolling or how does that work??? only joking :P
    Why joke? If it was a non-mod they'd have been banned after the first 50 retarded replies.

I hope whoever wrote that FAI press release is on at least the same salary as Stan; he's clearly working much harder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

DesF wrote:
    Well, I hear from a source that an FAI official said last night that if Stan wants to go, they won't stand in his way.

off topic a bit.

Is Joe Duffy still on his holliers, I wouldn't mind listening this afternoon.

He should be back by now!

shur shur shur shur

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

**** sake, so any time there is more than one or two young players coming through then we are in a period of transition... when are we not in transition? ****ing chancers at the FAI, we are gonna have stan for another 2 years, that is scary!

EDIT: All stan has to do to keep his job for the rest of his life is to keep giving debuts to youngsters.

**** sake, so any time there is more than one or two young players coming through then we are in a period of transition... when are we not in transition?
    I've a pain in me hole listening to that one as well. We've been in a transition period since Jack left. :rolleyes:
    It's just a cop out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Anyone read Staunton's reaction today to the defeat? It's insulting:

"We are in a building process. I said that from day one. It's coming along nicely."

How the f*ck is it coming along nicely?! We were hammered by Cyprus. We almost suffered another humiliating result against San Marino. Besides friendlies against teams who weren't bothered we have looked poor.

If you want to see a building process coming along nicely then look at Scotland. Staunton is bleeding useless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭Milktrolley

How the f*ck is it coming along nicely?! We were hammered by Cyprus. We almost suffered another humiliating result against San Marino. Besides friendlies against teams who weren't bothered we have looked poor.

If you want to see a building process coming along nicely then look at Scotland. Staunton is bleeding useless.

+1. Except 2-1 against San Marino is outright humilating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭TheJesusWarrant

You know I don't feel sorry for the fans. Why not? First of all, after much huffing and puffing all was forgiven after the mauling from Cyprus, sorry but Delaney and Staunton should have NEVER been allowed to get away with that.

Secondly, they're just going to go ahead and fill Croker anyway. You know what happens if a side isn't performing in the NFL? Stadiums don't get filled, which leads to coaches getting sacked.

Secondly, they're just going to go ahead and fill Croker anyway. .
    But it's a day out. It's what people want, in the main.

The majority of the 80,000 people in Croke Park for the next match won't care what the score is, won't care about previous results.

All they'll want to do is blow their air-horns, wear their leprechaun suits and sing Olé Olé til the cows come home. Oh, and if a German player used to play for a certain Scottish club they'll give him a right good boo-ing. That'll show him.

Probably won't even know who John Delaney is. Oh, let's have a go at the manager if our heroes aren't giving us the pleasure of seeing a goal or two so we can sing the Fields of Athen-bleedin'-ry (Sinn-Fein, I-R-A).

You know why?

They don't care about football, they care about the day out. The quality of football means nothing to them. So long as they can say to their mates "I was at the match last night", that's all that matters.

• Advertisement

DesF wrote:
    But it's a day out. It's what people want, in the main.

The majority of the 80,000 people in Croke Park for the next match won't care what the score is, won't care about previous results.

All they'll want to do is blow their air-horns, wear their leprechaun suits and sing Olé Olé til the cows come home. Oh, and if a German player used to play for a certain Scottish club they'll give him a right good boo-ing. That'll show him.

Probably won't even know who John Delaney is. Oh, let's have a go at the manager if our heroes aren't giving us the pleasure of seeing a goal or two so we can sing the Fields of Athen-bleedin'-ry (Sinn-Fein, I-R-A).

You know why?

They don't care about football, they care about the day out. The quality of football means nothing to them. So long as they can say to their mates "I was at the match last night", that's all that matters.

You left out the mexican wave that they do in croke park during the game for no reason what so ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

DesF wrote:
    http://www.fai.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2407

Senior squad making progress

FAI officials believe that the senior international squad is making progress despite last night’s disappointing result in Prague against the Czech Republic. Ireland lost 1-0 and saw control of their Euro 2008 qualification hopes slip out of their hands.

Speaking to www.fai.ie, FAI President David Blood said: “Last night’s defeat was the first in ten games and I thought that the team deserved something for their display. They showed great character to recover from the setback of conceding an early goal and came close to equalising on several occasions.

“Like everybody else, the FAI is disappointed with the result in Prague but the performance offers a lot of hope for the future. Stephen, his backroom team and the players must continue the work they are doing.

The senior international team is in transition. In the nine games we have played in this campaign Stephen has used 32 players which is well above the average of 21 over the previous ten campaigns. In addition 15 players have been given their first taste of competitive action and I have no doubt more will follow in the remaining three games.

“Stephen is a young manager but he has already put his stamp on the squad and has been instrumental in fast-tracking young emerging talent through the ranks.

“While qualification for Euro 2008 is now out of our own control we still want to finish as high as possible in the group and also improve our seeding for the 2010 World Cup campaign ahead of the draw on November 25.”

Chief Executive John Delaney said the association is firmly focused on ensuring that future transition periods will not require the type of surgery currently being performed by Staunton

We are taking steps to ensure that we improve the conveyor belt of future talent coming through to our senior international team with the introduction of the Emerging Talent and High Performance Programmes and the creation of a National Academy at Abbotstown. The results of that investment won’t reap dividends immediately but will over the medium to long term..

“Despite their result last night, people now look on France as a footballing power and nobody refers to the wilderness years of French football when, after winning the European Championships in 1984 and finishing fourth in the 1982 World Cup and third in the 1986 World Cup, they failed to qualify for Euro ’88, Italia ’90, and US ’94. They did qualify for Euro ’92 but failed to win a game in the group stages.

“However, during that period they ploughed significant resources into the technical side of their game and have qualified for every tournament over the past ten years, winning the World Cup in ’98 and Euro 2000 as well as finishing runners-up in the 2006 World Cup and reaching the semi-finals of Euro ’96.

The French Federation invested resources in the development of elite players and FAI is mirroring that strategy even though we are working off a much smaller population base and, therefore, reservoir of talent. We will spend €10m this year on our Development Plan and in the past eight years we have grown our coaching staff from two employees to over 80 today with more on the way.

“In addition to Emerging Talent and High Performance we also have development strategies for other key areas of our game while more, such as the review of the amateur and schoolboys game, are currently being devised.

“We are putting more coaches on the ground to work on the development of the game and our players. The FAI is determined that we improve our success rate in qualifying for major tournaments but the required level of success is created by hard work and patience and not by waving a magic wand.

“We are already making huge progress on key projects such as the construction of the New Stadium and the establishment of new headquarters for the association at Abbotstown as well as focusing on our core business of fostering and promoting the game at all levels. We have over 450,000 participants and are working hard to improve every aspect of the game. We have made tremendous strides over the past two years across the game and are determined to continue to build the game for the future.”

And im called mad for thinking we do not have a good enough 11 players!!!!!!

kdjac

Haha, have you sobered up yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

BaZmO* wrote:
    Haha, have you sobered up yet?

Oh i wish i had a bottle of whiskey for that game(and every other), still shocked some people thing we should have qualified.

kdjac

welcome back :) now, no trolling tonight! ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement