Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Czech Vs Ireland

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

I was disgusted by some comments i have been reading coming from the Irish camp, disgusted and somebody needs to fly to Prague and get the fuppin message across that we NEED to win tonight, we need a strong leader to stop this trainwreck of a manager.

The players were talking about sitting back for 70 minutes and keeping things tight and then try and nick a goal at the end like Slovakia did :eek:

Another player said, " the most important thing is that we don't lose" :eek:

Forget the names of the players but one comment came from Dunner.

I feel sick listening to this, is there much point watching the game, if this is the attitude being instilled in the players by the coach there is something seriously wrong with the managment.

It is last chance saloon tonight for the team, they NEED to understand this, it's win or bust.

Tonight will end in probably a goalless draw, if were lucky.

Our inept manager will keep his job and try and pretend that we still have a chance in this group.

Utter Disgrace, get STAN out.:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

masterK wrote:
    Did anybody hear Richard Dunne on the radio this morning saying "we'll try and keep it tight and hopefully nick a goal near the end".

If that is their approach to the game they might as well not turn up.

On that note, since Stan took over, I havent heard them saying in any match that they are gonna come out firing on all cyclinders and try get an early lead! They used to always say that with previous managers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,081 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Ok, so we know its gonna be the same 11 players, but im still clinging to the hope that maybe he'll change it around a little to throw off the czechs rather then come out exactly as they're prepared for. One formation that would be ok with our current players 11 would be;

Given
    Kelly--Dunne--McShane--Kilbane
    Reid--O'shea--Carsley--McGeady
    Doyle--Keane

Thought to be honest, id be reasonably happy if he just put O Shean and Kelly on their correct sides - at least it would be a small step in the right direction (even if it is after a giant leap backwards)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

People really should make an active attempt to stop saying Stan out. He isn't the problem, he is a symptom of the problem.
    Delany is the one people should focus on, and the more people who say it the better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

ntlbell wrote:
    If you play a midfield of

Hunt, Ireland, McGeady and Reid

who's going to protect the back four?

What are we going to do when you loose the ball?

watch reid try to waddle his fat arse back?

get off the stage.

I believe Ireland can do this job. Possibly not to the same degree as Carsley, but then Carsley gave away pretty much every ball he won. Leave Reid up in a more forward role, and let Ireland hang back, driving forward when he gets the ball. On the ball Carsley is awful. At least Ireland would be able to pick out some players...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,659 ✭✭✭The Rooster

I believe Ireland can do this job. Possibly not to the same degree as Carsley, but then Carsley gave away pretty much every ball he won. Leave Reid up in a more forward role, and let Ireland hang back, driving forward when he gets the ball. On the ball Carsley is awful. At least Ireland would be able to pick out some players...
    Stephen Ireland cannot do this job. His biggest fault is his lack of tracking back. Whenever Slovakia had periods of dominance he totally disapperared and let Carsley do all the work. Ireland's best position is the third central midfielder in a three man midfield. Otherwise he should be on the right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

The basics of solid performances away from home in international football is the abillity to defend, to win possession, to be tough to get at and break down for the opposition. You may believe Ireland can do that job all you want - but you are very much mistaken.

Hunt, Carsley, Kilbane, Reid would give us toughness and protection for the back four, workrate, a pacy outlet, a creative spark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,659 ✭✭✭The Rooster

~Rebel~ wrote:

Given
    Kelly--Dunne--McShane--Kilbane
    Reid--O'shea--Carsley--McGeady
    Doyle--Keane

Thought to be honest, id be reasonably happy if he just put O Shean and Kelly on their correct sides - at least it would be a small step in the right direction (even if it is after a giant leap backwards)
    Not a bad idea switching O'Shea into midfield and Killer to the back. However, you talk about putting O'Shea and Kelly on their correct sides, yet you have a left footer on the right side of midfield and a right footer on the left side. :confused:

BTW the only way to have both Kelly and O'Shea on their "correct sides", is if one was right back and the other right midfield! They are both naturally right footed, they both have experience of playing left back, they were both poor on Saturday. IMO, the side of the pitch they were on, had nothing to do with them both playing below par.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

Yep staunton did say the conditions wouldn't have suited Reid on Sunday.

What conditions staunton, what conditions, help us out here

He goes on to say ".....but he is such a talent he can conjure a goal up out of anything or play that killer pass"
    http://www.rte.ie/aertel/223-01.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I believe Ireland can do this job.
    Yeah, he done a great job away to Cyprus alright. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭jobonar

is there much point watching the game

not if you have something better to be doing. i think this is just gonna be another disappointment and i dont fancy wasting another evening. i hope i'm proved wrong but i hold little hope

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I'll have England on BBC on the TV and Ireland on the RTE stream on the laptop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

IMO the only possible chance of success tonight lies with Andy Reid.

He's the only player in our team capable of controlling the game.

Through his play he can increase Ireland's posession(by cleverly passing it to a green shirt) thereby denying the Czechs the ball and also initiate attacks giving us the platform to win the game.

Obviously we've still got a problem when they do have the ball as we can't defend but hopefulyl Redi can keep this to a minumum.

Either Reid plays like Requelmie or we get insanly lucky. They're our only hopes.

Also since partition of Czechislovakia the Czech republic has lost only one qualifying game at home :eek:

Not a bad idea switching O'Shea into midfield and Killer to the back. However, you talk about putting O'Shea and Kelly on their correct sides, yet you have a left footer on the right side of midfield and a right footer on the left side. :confused:

BTW the only way to have both Kelly and O'Shea on their "correct sides", is if one was right back and the other right midfield! They are both naturally right footed, they both have experience of playing left back, they were both poor on Saturday. IMO, the side of the pitch they were on, had nothing to do with them both playing below par.

On the first part, McGeady plays much much better on the left, and this is where i've seen all his best performances for celtic, and after last weekend, anything that could get an improvement out of him is worth it as we cant afford that again. Reid on the other hand, given the centre midfield pairing i have, would pretty much have a free role to pass and move (i just really didnt fancy reid centre and o shea right wing!).

On Kelly and O'Shea, im sure you know what i mean. O Shea had his best season playing at Left back. Kelly was absolutely brutal at left back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

My team would be this:

Given
    Kelly--Dunne--McShane--O'Shea
    McGeady--Carsley--Reid--Hunt
    Doyle--Keane

I'm worried the Czechs will give us a lesson tonight. I don't know about anyone else but if we lose I think Staunton needs to go.

I've had enough of his rookie mistakes and sorry excuses.

I don't know about anyone else but if we lose I think Staunton needs to go.

I've had enough of his rookie mistakes and sorry excuses.
    For the love of Christ.

THIS ISN'T THE FAULT OF STAUNTON ALONE

Why is nobody putting the blame squarely where it lies, at the door of Delaney and the other FAI fúckwits?

THEY appointed Staunton. THEY are to balme for this farce.

NO-one else.

Staunton shouldn't be there in the first place. Agreed, he shouldn't be the manager, but the person who put him there, JOHN DELANEY, has to be blamed too, more that Staunton.

JOHN DELANEY

JOHN DELANEY

JOHN DELANEY

JOHN DELANEY

JOHN DELANEY

JOHN DELANEY

JOHN DELANEY

JOHN DELANEY

JOHN DELANEY

JOHN DELANEY

~Rebel~ wrote:
    On the first part, McGeady plays much much better on the left, and this is where i've seen all his best performances for celtic, and after last weekend, anything that could get an improvement out of him is worth it as we cant afford that again.
    Why can't we just drop McGeady? Seriously? What has he done in an Irish shirt that would justify attempts to accomodate him - particularly after last Saturday. I am seriously struggling to remember a performance by an Irish player as bad as that was.

DesF wrote:
    For the love of Christ.

Why is nobody putting the blame squarely where it lies, at the door of Delaney and the other FAI fúckwits?

NO-one else.

Staunton shouldn't be there in the first place. Agreed, he shouldn't be the manager, but the person who put him there, JOHN DELANEY, has to be blamed too, more that Staunton.

JOHN DELANEY

JOHN DELANEY

JOHN DELANEY

JOHN DELANEY

JOHN DELANEY

JOHN DELANEY

JOHN DELANEY

JOHN DELANEY

JOHN DELANEY

JOHN DELANEY

Agree 100%. And it can't be said enough at present - as clearly some people just don't get it.

I think it really has to be said a lot, because if Stantun actually gets fired, do you really want them to pick his replacement?

• Advertisement

DesF wrote:
    For the love of Christ.

NO-one else.

JOHN DELANEY

JOHN DELANEY

JOHN DELANEY

JOHN DELANEY

JOHN DELANEY

JOHN DELANEY

JOHN DELANEY

JOHN DELANEY

JOHN DELANEY

JOHN DELANEY

Jaysus relax. I never said it was the fault of Staunton alone. I agree that the FAI are at fault in hiring Staunton in the first place. They're a joke of an organisation.

Even so, Staunton needs to go first and foremost. He's a 'yes man' that they got on the cheap.

LuckyLloyd wrote:
    Why can't we just drop McGeady? Seriously? What has he done in an Irish shirt that would justify attempts to accomodate him - particularly after last Saturday. I am seriously struggling to remember a performance by an Irish player as bad as that was.

Oh i agree totally, personally id start have Hunt in the from the star, but if you reread my whole post its talking about Tonights game for which we've been already told he IS playing. No point talking about what we can do with other players when we already Know the 11 that will take the field, so i was thinking of ways to put those 11 in the most effective positions.

Jaysus relax. I never said it was the fault of Staunton alone. I agree that the FAI are at fault in hiring Staunton in the first place. They're a joke of an organisation.

Even so, Staunton needs to go first and foremost. He's a 'yes man' that they got on the cheap.
    Apologies, that wasn't directed directly at you.

~Rebel~ wrote:
    Oh i agree totally, personally id start have Hunt in the from the star, but if you reread my whole post its talking about Tonights game for which we've been already told he IS playing. No point talking about what we can do with other players when we already Know the 11 that will take the field, so i was thinking of ways to put those 11 in the most effective positions.

My distinct apologies. My speed reading comprehension could do with a bit of work. :o

That's the wrong way around imo. They'll replace him. They both need to go, no doubt about that, but the point is that unless we get rid of Delaney, we'll just get somebody else like Staunton, most likely worse than him

DesF wrote:
    Apologies, that wasn't directed directly at you.

No worries, the FAI make my blood boil too.
    PHB wrote:
    That's the wrong way around imo. They'll replace him. They both need to go, no doubt about that, but the point is that unless we get rid of Delaney, we'll just get somebody else like Staunton, most likely worse than him

I see what you're saying but I just can't see the possibility of that happening. They're so crooked it's not even funny.

• Advertisement

PHB wrote:
    But....but....who could be possibly worse than Satunton?

Unless, of course, Delaney decided to take the reigns himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

I'm not a fan of either and I know that victory tonight is an extremely long shot, but lets take a more optemistic perspective.

Win tonight, and we are three wins away from Euro 2008. One against a German team who are nearly already assured of qualifying and in front of a sell out Croke Park. Nobody thought we could beat Holland back in 01. Itll be the same situation next month. 3 points is possible.

Then Cyprus, again in front of 67,000 in Croker, and an Irish team with revenge on their minds. Another 3 points we should pick up.

Then Wales, the same Wales that have nothing to play for, the same Wales that lost 5-1 to Slovakia. Another win here, and thats it. Against all odds, we've qualified for Euro 2008. Who wouldve thought that this time last year.

We could even afford to drop 2 points if we beat the Czech as long as the Czech drop points away to Germany, again highly possible.

We may not have the best set up in the world, the best manager in the world or the best team in the world, but the least we could do is get behind our team. It's not as bad as it seems.

deise59 wrote:
    We may not have the best set up in the world, the best manager in the world or the best team in the world, but the least we could do is get behind our team. It's not as bad as it seems.
    You sound like a member of the Republican party in the USA. We will still desperately want Ireland to win tonight. Doesn't mean that I like the current management and utilasition of players though.

LuckyLloyd wrote:
    You sound like a member of the Republican party in the USA. We will still desperately want Ireland to win tonight. Doesn't mean that I like the current management and utilasition of players though.

exactly, if everyone just sat quietly and didn't criticize we'd never improve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

DesF wrote:
    What?

Staunton said when he took the job that he was going to unearth players playing at any level in England who had Irish grannies, and cap them.

Yep but where are they? More importantly where's the quality of players like Townshend, Houghton even Casacarino, Holland, Finnan etc? We relied too much on these players in the past and now the quality's dried up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

DesF wrote:
    I'll have England on BBC on the TV and Ireland on the RTE stream on the laptop.
    Well, im gonna give it a miss. Lads in work are playing football outdoors later this evening....sounds like fun.

..and I've said previously on a match thread 6 months ago. Staunton Out & Seansouth IN !!! :D

(Yes, Delaney out too.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jArgHA

My biggest worry about tonight's match is Stephen Kelly's inclusion once again, he was awful in last Saturday's game and I can see Baros running rings around him tonight.

Obviously there is feck all cover for the position, but Kilbane could play there and Stephen Hunt be brought in to cover left-wing.

I'm not very optimistic about tonight, but as ever with the Irish team I just keep clinging to the hope that some miracle will happen and we might actually win the feckin thing.

Also, as far as I can see a 2-2 draw would be enough if Germany beat the Czechs and we beat Germany in the remaining matches?

ntlbell wrote:
    I think you're way off the mark here, and I can only speak about people I know or have met at games etc and the expectation level has remained the same as it ever was and that's commitment from the players and common sense from the manager.

What any irish fan I know wants to see is our best 11 players on pitch giving everything they have for the jersey we're not England, we're not dillusional and we know that what we have is a fairly limited squad and because of these limitations it is absloutley crucial that you put your best players forward and make sure they have the right attitude once this is in place the results will take care of themselves and for me as i said all ready for a manager this is one of the easiest jobs you will ever have because you have to be a real fuc*ing moron to make any mistakes.

Easy job? Joke, right? Having players for limited periods of time, disrupted by injuries, having to pull players out of nowhere cos we don't possess much squad depth and trying to mould a team...easy alright...but I'm not making excuses for Stan, he's out of his depth, has no managerial experience but management is more than just picking the 11 best players and letting it "take care of itself".

As for attitude, yes attitude is important but that does not necessarily mean the results will follow, it would be preferable to lose with a good performance than without but it by no means means that a team will be successful, it's the foundation a team needs to build upon alright but it does not guarantee success

As regards your first point, I disagree...but that's solely a matter of opinion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Easy job? Joke, right? Having players for limited periods of time, disrupted by injuries, having to pull players out of nowhere cos we don't possess much squad depth and trying to mould a team...easy alright...but I'm not making excuses for Stan, he's out of his depth, has no managerial experience but management is more than just picking the 11 best players and letting it "take care of itself".

As for attitude, yes attitude is important but that does not necessarily mean the results will follow, it would be preferable to lose with a good performance than without but it by no means means that a team will be successful, it's the foundation a team needs to build upon alright but it does not guarantee success

As regards your first point, I disagree...but that's solely a matter of opinion

Managment is not about picking the best 11, but managing Ireland when you have such a small limited pool there's not much else you MUST get right and that's always picking the best 11 THAT'S AVAILABLE TO YOU obviously you can't account for injuries.

You're taken what I said a bit literally obviously there's more to it, like you have to get out of bed in the morning and use mobile phones and all sorts of technical hoops to jump through :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

~Rebel~ wrote:
    exactly, if everyone just sat quietly and didn't criticize we'd never improve.

I guess, but if everyone just sat quietly and didn't support the team we'd never improve either.

ntlbell wrote:
    Managment is not about picking the best 11, but managing Ireland when you have such a small limited pool there's not much else you MUST get right and that's always picking the best 11 THAT'S AVAILABLE TO YOU obviously you can't account for injuries.

You're taken what I said a bit literally obviously there's more to it, like you have to get out of bed in the morning and use mobile phones and all sorts of technical hoops to jump through :rolleyes:

Don't get me wrong, of course it's about picking the best players, but it's not merely that. One has to know which players work best together, suit the tactics, the style of play (for example Gerrard and Lampard, a manager should know that these two are too similar etc.). It's to do with man-management, training..all those things...but this was just a misunderstanding I gathered from your post, so apologies.

But I agree with what you're saying but as I've said before I'm not making excuses for Staunton - he's out of his depth therefore he isn't making the right decisions. My problem with your post was the (apparrent) way you seemd to reduce management to selecting players and that be the end of it.

So, I agree :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Based on the squad we have, I'd have to go with

Given

O'Shea (:( ) - Dunne - McShane - Kilbane

----McGeady - Carsely - Reid - Hunt

Doyle - Keane

Really, when you reflect, we're missing some of our better players in Finnan, Stephen Reid, Duff, Carr and Ireland - a full strength squad would give us:

Given

Carr
    Dunne
    McShane
    Finnan

---- Ireland --- S. Reid --- Carsley---- Duff ----

Doyle - Keane

With Subs of : O'Shea, Kilbane, A. Reid, Hunt, McGeady

thats not a bad team, it's also all-premiership first teamers.

deise59 wrote:
    I guess, but if everyone just sat quietly and didn't support the team we'd never improve either.

which is why we'll all be screaming at our TV's later, backing our team to the hilt. Then tomorrow if things go well, give them praise, or if things go badly we'll reopen the debate again on what can/should be done to sort things out.

If this campaign finishes as another joke id seirously consider trying to organise a big group of people to sit outside the FAI offices and demand to know exactly where we stand, what Delaneys plans are, what his reasons were for the decisions taken thus far. If all the media were alerted and jump on it it might actually get something done. Staunton is taking far mroe stick then Delaney in the general media which just isn't right.

Hey, if we finish third isn't that a success seeing as we were seeded fourth?

~Rebel~ wrote:
    If this campaign finishes as another joke id seirously consider trying to organise a big group of people to sit outside the FAI offices and demand to know exactly where we stand, what Delaneys plans are, what his reasons were for the decisions taken thus far. If all the media were alerted and jump on it it might actually get something done. Staunton is taking far mroe stick then Delaney in the general media which just isn't right.

I'd like to do that too, people need to focus on the real problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭yayamark

I'm not a person to jump on the bandwagon and hope and pray that ireland win tonight. unfortunately i believe they wont.

I think staunton was brave to take that position but in hindsight was inexperienced as a manager and a person to deal with the media-- coming out with "i'm the gaffer" etc was never going to endear him with the media or fans.

I dont like the way people harshly critiscise stan personally. I think tonight will be his last game in charge and i wish him well in the future.

I hope the appointment of stan ie an inexperienced manager will never happen again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭TheJesusWarrant

yayamark wrote:
    I think tonight will be his last game in charge and i wish him well in the future.

Sadly Stan won't be going anywhere, regardless of tonights result.

Perhaps the Staunton/Delaney chat should go in the Staunton/Delaney thread please.

We can keep this about the game and the teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

i think its hard to separate the two.

eg

"what team do u think will play tonight? ah i'd say that Stan fella will play the wrong team!! Who hired him anyway?!?! He needs to go!! Delaney too!!" etc etc.

But ye, is Koller really that big a loss to the Czechs tonight? Anyone know anything about their replacements?

Speaking of the match, last night I had a dream about the game and it ended up being 0-0 and people were pissed that the team played so defensively.

I really hope that's not a portent of things to come. :o

Interestingly, from the media spin, it looks like Stan has rested our hopes on a big performance from Andy Reid tonight... if he's so f*cking important to our team, where was he last wednesday.

Grrrrrr!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

I think we will be found out tonight. My guess is 2-0 to the Czechs. I'm starting to pray now. Backs to the wall stuff. C'mon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭$lattman

Yeh he did the same after he left Carsley out and then brought him back after he read in the paper that it would be a good idea. The man is clueless. I see he's playing O'Shea at left full tonight and Kelly at right! Is there any consistency??

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,514 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

5-2 to the Welsh in Bratislava. Interesting result...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭yayamark

Its all check stuff so far!

Advertisement