Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

warning light on 01 Golf

Options
  • 10-09-2007 8:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19

I've got the EPC warning light on at the moment. It came on a few weeks ago and I was due to get the car serviced a few days later so I mentioned it to the mechanic. he checked it out but the diagnostics device showed nothing wrong so he switched it off, gave the car a full service and it was grand. That was a month or so ago and it's been fine since, but it came on over last weekend, I couldnt see anything wrong with the car, turning over as uual, no leaks etc so I brought it in to him for a quick check with him and again the computer showed nothing wrong with the engine. he even lifted it up to be sure but there was noting leaking. so he switched it off again.

later on that night it came back on, and its still on now. has anyone ever come across a problem like this, could it be a sensor problem?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Mr.Diagnostic

Hi,

If the EPC light came on then there would be fault code in the memory. Maybe get someone else to look at it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 J`S

a fault code in the memory of his computer or the car itself?

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭sicruise

The car uses OBD II standard, that is how he is checking for the fault code. It could be that it is just a generic error that doesn't point to anything in particular or else the sensor that is showing the fault is faulty itself.

sicruise wrote:
    The car uses OBD II standard, that is how he is checking for the fault code. It could be that it is just a generic error that doesn't point to anything in particular or else the sensor that is showing the fault is faulty itself.

The car does not use OBD11 standard unles it was imported from the USA. VW's sold new here are EOBD. OBD11 readers will work on EOBD because EOBD is a copy of OBD11.
    Any garage that only uses an OBD11 reader should not be doing that type of work so I would assume the garage had something a bit better.
    Even with an OBD11 tool any fault code that is displayed will have a meaning and so will point to something.

J`S wrote:
    a fault code in the memory of his computer or the car itself?

In the memory of the ECU.
    The ECU is the computer that controls all the engine functions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭sicruise

If you like picking hairs then... no the ECU does not control ALL of the engines functions. An ECU could just be used to control fuel injection for example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

The car does not use OBD11 standard unles it was imported from the USA. VW's sold new here are EOBD. OBD11 readers will work on EOBD because EOBD is a copy of OBD11.
    Any garage that only uses an OBD11 reader should not be doing that type of work so I would assume the garage had something a bit better.
    Even with an OBD11 tool any fault code that is displayed will have a meaning and so will point to something.

If you really want to get pedantic, its not a copy, its just a different name for the connector in Europe, the standards they run over the wire are all different, but use the same serial based communication with slightly different protocols.

This goes for quite a few serial transmission protocols such as IEEE1394 and Firewire. Also for many different encapsulation methods over fibre.

In essence every manufacturer uses the J1962 connector, just different signaling protocols.

I was not being pedantic at all. Perhaps before you jump down my throat you might consider doing some research on the subject.

EOBD is a standard and is a lot more than just the name of the connector. It is based on European legislation. Any car sold here after 1999 (but in effect 2000 on) has to comply with the Euro3 specs built into EOBD. When EOBD was being developed it was based on the US OBD11 legislation in general but specifically California.
    Part of the specs refers to the communication protocols which must be used. These are the not the same as manufacturer specific ones in some cases but are the same as used in OBD11.

sicruise wrote:
    If you like picking hairs then... no the ECU does not control ALL of the engines functions. An ECU could just be used to control fuel injection for example.

Well that is very helpful to the OP.

I was not "picking hairs" just correcting what you posted so as not to mislead the OP.

Advertisement