Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

your advice is needed

Options
  • 10-09-2007 9:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,330 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm looking to get a PC built for me, Thinking of using Komplett.ie

What i need it for it graphic design and 3D design and rendering.

I us 3Ds Max and some of the projects take a while to render.

I know i need loads of RAM, and i also want to get a 22" monitor, So what graphics card do i need so i get the most from the screen.

I only have €1500 to spend.

With that i want to try get a good processor/RAM/Screen/ graphics card,

What can you reccommend for something like this.

thanks for your help

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

any of the higher up Dual/Quad Cores should be grand.
    I would imagine 2Gig + is okay for Ram
    A decent 256mb graphics card should do the trick!!

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ci.aspx?sku=10206

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ci.aspx?sku=10058

They look decent enough for what you need!! You could add extra ram if you want!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

How much RAM is lots I would guess 4-8GB ??

CPU would want to be pretty good I'd would suggest a quad core, as for graphics really depends on what you use I guess most of the pro stuff is way out of your price range (that is if you need the stuff on the pro range) eBay is also working checking for second hand NVIDIA Quadros or ATI FireGL's.

The machine jonny24ie linked to the Intel gamer is a good start off point and make the following changes via customize expert;
    * Under Mainboards select - 335498 MSI P35 Neo-F (-€12.75)

* Under Memory select - 313834 Corsair Value S 2048MB kit (€139)

* Under Memory (additional) select - 313834 Corsair Value S 2048MB kit (€139)

* Under Graphics Cards select - 329213 Club3D 8800GTS 640MB (€279)

* Under Operating Systems select - no operating system

* Under Monitors select - 335466 LG 22" L226WTQ-SF (€284)

Now that will stretch your budget to its limit but you can a very capable machine, now your wondering why no OS well Komplett dont offer 64-bit Windows as an option so if you want to use all that 4GB of RAM then you need to go 64-bit.

That of course means installing the OS yourself which isn't particularly difficult with Windows Vista 64-bit. Of course thats another 100 bucks on top I don't know if you can stretch it that far but if you need to cut corners then you can like with the GPU if you don't use 3D at lot in your work and its the CPU that is doing the majority of the work plus any old card can driver the monitor nothing fancy is needed in that department.

GPU alternatives
    335100 - Gainward 8600GTS 512MB if you still want something with a bit more in the performance department over run of the mill cards.

336748 - Sapphire Radeon 2600Pro 512MB basic card will run the monitor no problem.

There in another option which is to build yourself and if you are after lots of RAM and need primarily a good CPU speed this is the way to go as you get everything bar high end graphics;
    8GB of RAM (buy 2):CPU:Motherboard:Case:HD:PSU:DVD:Display:OS:GPU

Plus an after market cooler could take the quad core to 3Ghz.

Advertisement