Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Huge spiders

Options
  • 10-09-2007 9:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭

Has anyone else seen the influx of the massive spiders???!!!!!!!!!!!

One suspects, that's what you get for living on farmland!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Sparks115

Oh My God Yes ...we were watching tv and saw a huge one on the curtain rail I nearly died. I then was cleaning my curtains and had a freak when I oopend out the curtains and there was 2 of them in the folds!!! arghhhhhhhh. Last night then my other half was putting something in the bin and he saw another huge one crawling outside the door. Honestly they are huge black and hairy and I HATE HATE HATE them!!!:eek: :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

we call them chicken spiders, after a recent documentry on discovery about spiders about 2 inches long that kill and eat chickens!

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭birdwatcher

Funny you should mention that....my bird nearly had a stroke last night when a big brown one appeared in our sink....I should probably clarify....I'm still taking about spiders!!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Coolhand

I should rent out my cat. He is a spider killing machine. He even eats them when he gets them so theres nothing left to clean up. He also is good for daddy long legs and flys. Its a tenner an hour and and all the milk he can drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

It's the time of year that it is. Having grown up in Greystones, I think I can honestly say, those big brown ba*tards show up around autumn every year.

You'd just be sitting there watching telly, and then see something moving in the corner of your eye. Big ugly brown spider eyeballing you from the corner of the room. I used to get my dad, and yes, even my grandmother to get rid of them.

These days, as an adult, I'm much more manly. It's the hoover of death for these little monsters!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭daveco23

Walked into my 11 month old's room this morning to find him happily munching away on one, with another running for its life away from the cot...
    Picking spider legs (still moving) out of a toddlers mouth is not the best way to start the day...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

I came down from bed because I couldn't sleep......then I read this.......Now I'm never going to get asleep!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭SuperSean11

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭dubsgirl

Was watching telly last night and I swear to god I heard footsteps on the other side of the room which made me look at it! In my haste threw a cushion at it and it moved the cushion!! Even typing this my heart is racing at the memory!!

Eventually he got the croc of death!
    (used my daughters croc shoe to crush him)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭Ru

They come in through the air vents. I know this because i put one out last night and the little git ran straight back to the vent, i went inside and there he was, popping through again.

I plan on replacing the vents with the slidey ones you get in woodies for about €12. I did this on the back room when we moved in first and they fit nicely

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

I saw this thread yesterday and said to myself: 'do we not have anything else to be doing?'!!!!

Anyhow, was sitting on the couch last night and saw a big f3cker leg it across the stairs...ok not worth posting, I've seen bigger...but in the middle of the night the missus went to use the bathroom, turned on the bathroom light, saw the f3cker in the middle of the bathroom floor, she screeched, ran into the bedroom, jumped on the bed to get her bear feet of the ground...now, she doesn't like spiders but I thought it was a bit much to react like that so I went in to have a look! Yep, he was a big f3cker and it was as if he grew overnight! So stupid me says to her, 'ah sure, I saw him on stairs earlier'. She wasn't impressed!

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 katek

I could not believe how big they are. We had a family and I cant figure out if they are new ones coming in or the same ones coming back. I went nuts when I saw them. I dont mind little ones but they are HUGE!

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Mullie

We've had 2 in the past week - monsters! Too big for a pint glass, get your pyrex dishes at the ready!!

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭LMC

Ok, totally freaked out now! As someone who suffers from Arachnophobia, :eek: since reading this I have been checking the house each night - thankfully nothing SO FAR :) I know they are going to come in (time of year and all that) but is there anything to buy as a deterent??? the only thing Ive seen is a powder but dont want to use that.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Hendrix89

Yeah there's one big guy livin outside behind my drain pipe. I guess they're kinda similar to the shape of a black widow. Massive things though!

I also suffer from Arachnophobia, but would never harm a defenseless spider.. Guys don't go killing them just cause your don't like em around. They are more afraid of us, you know that right?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

Hendrix89 wrote:
    Guys don't go killing them just cause your don't like em around. They are more afraid of us, you know that right?:D

Yeah right! And do you think that if our sizes were reversed, that they'd leave us alone? I think not!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

yeah don't kill em, killing em causes it to rain!

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Tomato

You can buy plug in repellers - they emit some sort of a soundwave that stops spiders entering the room where its plugged in. Can get them in Woodies.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭LMC

Thanks for that Tomato :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

Do you not remember the story from about 10 years ago, some fella found a black widow in his shed in Delgany.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 351 ✭✭ron_darrell

Moved out to a new house in the country, we only visited it during the day when we were viewing it and it was lovely but at night the place literally crawled with big, hairy spiders. My girlfriend is badly scared of them so I spent most of the night and next day rooting everywhere killing them. Six came up, one after the other out of the sink when we turned on the tap!! What's the story with them this year. I've never seen so many

PS: BTW we had to move out of the house and back to the city

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

tip: fashion a flame thrower from a can aerosol and a lighter

further tip: don't use it around curtains.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭~Marky~

I was bitten last night when I was a sleep have a bump on my leg and it has two holes in it..I keep finding these huge spiders all over my house its mad.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,759 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I definitely think spiders are getting bigger in recent years. Maybe it has to do with global warming but I've also heard that some type of biggish spider from the Canary islands has come over here as an illegal immigrant and has settled down and multiplied.

I've never heard of anyonee here getting bitten by a spiter - that's a ppretty scary development...:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Grovey

i saw two of them in the house.scary monsters :eek: but because they are so big, it makes them easier to catch. no more since

• Registered Users Posts: 5,831 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

i catch them in a "bug catcher" - cover and slide trap door. Then let them out up the road and around the corner. These guys can see you coming. They are not one of God's creations. They are evil personified..or perhaps spiderfied would be more appropriate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Grovey

i'm very scared I went into the kitchen last night and there were 12 spiders carry away a frozen chicken. i tried to stop them but one of them put me in a headlock. they are gone now but so is my chicken. if you see a frozen chicken hovering around will you get it back for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭dubrunner

We caught 2 huge ones last night. A few of the neighbours have spotted some of those hairy brown ones last night.

Their bodies appear to be bigger than a 2 Euro coin!.........

Are we looking at small/growing tarantulas????

• Advertisement

Advertisement