Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Huge spiders

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭FirstIn

I was listening to one G Ryan the other morning and his take on the whole women afraid of spiders, mice etc is that they fear that these creatues will run up their leg and continue onwards and upwards into their "fallujah", interesting I thought.

Womens bodies incorporating a part of Iraq! Thought I'd write that before someone else did!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 dublingirl

Have seemed to found a solution after one stared me down in my bedroom 3 weeks ago. Managed to get it out via the hoover but it came back in only to be evicted again the next morning. Bought one of those plug in repellers and plugged it in. Also got some Nikon Ant Killer spray in woodies and have sprayed all around the windows, doors, vents (which I now have taped up due to the draft) and anywhere I thought they could get in. None seen inside the apartment since and a lot of dead bodies outside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭TnJ

Big Mother F*8kers is what they are. I think they are invading Charlesland and taking over a bit like George Orwell's book, "Animal Farm", eight legs good, two legs bad!!

Even our cat is afraid of them and that's saying something coz he'd eat a wasp.

SOS

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Tomato

Spiderpig.. spiderpig... maybe Homer is to blame. Watch out if they continue to grow and then start to turn pink. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

we saw what can only be described as a flock of them crossing the duall carriageway the other day, from the fields around the fairways coming up to charlesland.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

You can't say you've not been warned:

http://www.free-lyrics.org/Bill-Bailey/33785-Insect-Nation.html
    The spiders are not insects,
    but in a war they will side with the insects.
    Traitors, traitors, spider traitors,
    they'll betray us, and they'll make us...
    human slaves, in an insect nation!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

You should ask the guys over in the nature forum about this - they would know. As far as I know - around September/October the big males, after a summer feasting on flies (and each other) start to go on a walkabout looking for a bit of action with the ladies and to ensure a new generation will be scaring the bejaysus outta ye next autumn!

I'd imagine most of them will be dead in a month or two - either the cold or the from being eaten by the females post-coitus. It's a tough life for a randy spider to be sure. And they bite too - as the family dog learned many, many years ago.

It's not just Greystones - it's an annual occurrence everywhere, at least it is up here in Ballinteer. I hate this time of year too - me being an arachniphobe as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 annmarie124

Hi Everyone,
    my dog broke his leg and was on bed rest for two weeks so in feeling sorry for him i would bring him into my sitting room and have a pillow on the floor near the couch. i was rubbing his head and out of the corner of my eye i thought i saw something running across the floor. i had a look but couldn't see anything so paid no more attention.

the following evening in the sitting room an enormous spider ran out from under a press. my first reaction was to stand on it only the little bugger was so big he could run really fast and i couldn't keep up with it. he stopped under the foot stool and i trapped him with a pint glass and released it outside in the nearby park.

Last night washing the same sitting room floor the same spider ran out from under the couch!!! i wasn't so kind to him this time though cause i stood on it. i was afraid the spider might go for my bedroom next and jump down my throat for kicking him out the first time. he was about the size of a 2 euro coin too!! two weeks ago got rid of an even bigger spider than that.

anybody know where i can get one of those plug ins that scare off insects?:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭TnJ

TnJ wrote:
    Big Mother F*8kers is what they are. I think they are invading Charlesland and taking over a bit like George Orwell's book, "Animal Farm", eight legs good, two legs bad!!

Even our cat is afraid of them and that's saying something coz he'd eat a wasp.

SOS
    "...the tale of confessions and executions went on, until there was a pile of corpses lying before the Spider's feet and the air was heavy with the smell of blood, which had been unknown there since the development of Charlesland." To top it off, the Spiders outlawed the pets in Charlesland, which had served as one of the only remaining ties between Charlesland and the rest of Wicklow.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 168 ✭✭girliegirl

Sorry Tomato, these things dont seem to work, we have one and we still see spiders, although i think they do keep Mice away... the plug in's not the spiders... although with the size of some of the spiders i swear thats what they feed on. I had a roast chicken the other night that i swear the spider had its eye on :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭dubrunner

We caught a beauty last night!............ there appears to be numerous nests thoughout Charlesland!

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Tomato

girliegirl wrote:
    Sorry Tomato, these things dont seem to work, we have one and we still see spiders, although i think they do keep Mice away... the plug in's not the spiders... although with the size of some of the spiders i swear thats what they feed on. I had a roast chicken the other night that i swear the spider had its eye on :)

Yikes, thats not good. Haven't got one myself yet as was feeling very smug that we have not had any visits from these monsters, only I got too comfortable too soon and had a run in with one in the kitchen. Was planning to buy one tomorrow ( my mother swears by them, has them plugged in all over the house due to bad spider phobia.. )

Will have to revert to plan B....

and most of these spiders are daddy long legs...
    the only known wild spider in ireland (apart from the black widow around delgany) that has enough poisin in its system to kill a man, but had no way to deliver it!

here's hoping they don't evolve

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Fiachra2

We dont seem to be having this problem in the ....ahem.. "older" parts of Greystones.

Have you considered parking a BMW. merc or SUV outside the front door? Perhaps thats what scares them off!

i have a bmw outside my door and i don't seem to have a hugely big problem with spiders!!

i think you may have found the solution fiachra!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Matt, I reckon its the walk from the gates to the mansion is why the don't have this spider problem. Perhaps a shuttle bus service would be appropriate!

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

But then you run into the problem that the service is for spiders and comes out of their service charge, but ants and beetles try to use it as well despite the fact they haven't paid for it...

But then you run into the problem that the service is for spiders and comes out of their service charge, but ants and beetles try to use it as well despite the fact they haven't paid for it...
    roflmao

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭Maisy

roflmao

Me too.....

• Registered Users Posts: 46 avantarklu

No spider problems in old Greystones - too many wasps around

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭woodser

3 pages about SPIDERS-things must be very quiet is charlesland at the moment:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭Maisy

woodser wrote:
    3 pages about SPIDERS-things must be very quiet is charlesland at the moment:rolleyes:

How very spider-ist of you:) - I happily welcome residants of all colours, creeds.... and leg numbers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭dubrunner

Maisy wrote: »
    How very spider-ist of you:) - I happily welcome residants of all colours, creeds.... and leg numbers

2 more monsters outside the back last night, making a run for the inside.... at this stage it's a spider fest.

Advertisement