Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worms/Maggots[?] in dog faeces

Options
  • 10-09-2007 11:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

While picked up dog faeces yesterday I was surprised to find that one of them had 20-30 white wriggling worms/maggots in there playing around :(

- I immediately assumed a worm infestation of of or both of our Terriers, but I did find it strange that there was only one colonised crap [sorry :D] ie. there was no signs of worms etc. in any of the other ones ???

- So was wondering do flies etc. lay eggs in dog mess; I dosed both dogs last night but am worried now as we have a two-year-old at home and the missus is full term pregnant right now - so want to make sure theres no parasitic fallout at home. Am especially worried re. larvae etc. in the back garden and reinfection. Will I just dose the dogs every week for a month or something ??? Should my two-year-old be dosed right away as a precaution ???

I'm going to ring the Vet - but any advice from you folks would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Paul

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

Flies do lay eggs in dog feces, but if it's been more than 3 months since their worming, it's better safe than sorry. Worm them, and examine their feces. If you see worms (the most common type look like bits of white string, or you may see grains of rice which are the eggs) in fresh feces, then you know that they had a worm infestation. If not, they are clean and can wait at least 3 months before the next dose. Check the manufacters instructions for your worm medication in regards to infestations. Some only require the one dose, some may require another dose in two weeks time, and some may be required to take a certain amount for 3 days in a row. When in doubt, consult your vet. Remember - it is a poision, and you don't want to give your pet too much.

You can worm your child if you feel it would have had contact with infected dog feces, as long as it isn't too close with their last worming. TBH, the most common cause of worms in people is cross contaimnated foods or undercooked meats - though I don't know if that makes you feel any better :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Hey thanks for your reply; I'd say it was fly larvae - will worm all round [where applicable] in case.:)

Advertisement