Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin denies racist problem as blacks struggle to find school places

1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

Bambi wrote:
    Ah yes healthcare, where MSRA is rampant now that we have bargain basement foreign labour doing all the cleaning. Oh lucky, lucky us.

Who manages the hospitals ??? Don't blame the cleaners - try working as a cleaner and see how you like it.

gerky wrote:
    Why do you assume that the black family's would be to stupid to book in advance.

Maybe because they don't realise they need to ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

is_that_so wrote:
    Famine - a severe shortage of food (as through crop failure) resulting in violent hunger and starvation and death.
    Need I say more. A lot of people died due to lack of food due to crop failure of which there was a lot - that potato blight again. Sounds pretty much like a famine in my book. Whether other classes or authorities exacerbated this problem is a matter of debate and does not preclude the actual existence of said famine.

TBH throwing up misguided historical revisionism that reflect your own prejudices just to prove a point undermines your own credibility.

There's nothing "revisionist" about what I've stated. It's "truthful". There was more than enough food to feed the people. There was no shortage. Export lists of the time prove it. Hell, credit union accounts in Galway were released not so long ago that prove the extent of the profiteering by irish people at the time.

Ignoring the truth just so you can continue to spout hate at the english, or at me, does not undermine your credibility, it proves you are either stupid or beyond hope. Hell, you've contradicted yourself in your own rebuttal, by stating a famine "is a severe shortage of food" and then admitting that the landowners had the power to stop it in the first place. There was a shortage of one crop, not of "food" as a whole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

Eh, the normans conquered england, as in "took it over and created the nation". Nobody was "english" before the normans arrived.
    You might tell that to the current inhabitants, who seem to be labouring under the impression that the Saxons eventually drove off the Norman invaders.
    Got a written list of those laws, have you? Didn't think so.
    Oh no, I have no list of these laws. Durr. Terry can I be given a special dispensation to abuse someone in AH? Just this once? Pleeeeeeease?

There is so much wrong with your ideas of history that I really don't know where to start.

If you don't know the difference between the way the Irish were treated and the English were treated, you know nothing about history.

If you say that the Great Famine was not caused by a lack of food, you know nothing about history.

If you don't grasp the required industrial infrastructure to create automatic weapons was not in posesssion of colonised people, you know nothing about history.

If you don't think that the original creation of Iraq, setting the stage for today's debacle, was not the work of incompetent British, you know nothing about history.

The one place the British did prove superb in their foreign policy was as drug dealers, fittingly enough, in China.

The Spanish did so well in Central America because the population had been expecting them. The Aztec prophecy of a white man/horse coming to save them made them bow down quickly to the Spanish invaders.

So I think its fairly safe to say you know nothing about history. What is particularily interesting is that you seem to think that I hate the English. I really don't particularily care about them, to be honest. You on the other hand, appear to hate the Irish, in fact you have said this several times.

Anyway, to wrap this up:

Edmund: Well, you see, George, I did like it, back in the old days when the prerequisite of a British campaign was that the enemy should under no circumstances carry guns -- even spears made us think twice. he kind of people we liked to fight were two feet tall and armed with dry grass.

George: Now, come off it, sir -- what about M'boto Gorge, for heaven's sake?

Edmund: Yes, that was a bit of a nasty one -- ten thousand D'watushi warriors armed to the teeth with kiwi fruit and guava halves. After the battle, instead of taking prisoners, we simply made a huge fruit salad. No, when I joined up, I never imagined anything as awful as this war. I'd had fifteen years of military experience, perfecting the art of ordering a pink gin and saying "Do you do it doggy-doggy?" in Swahili, and then suddenly four-and-a-half million heavily armed Germans hove into view. That was a shock, I can tell you.

:D

The "British Empire" will go down in history as the disgraceful wet fart that it was.

dublindude wrote:
    Look, if I emigrated to Senegal I would not be bitching that I can't get my kid into the local over crowded school. I would have researched this **** before I left Ireland so I knew what I was getting myself into.

Coming to Ireland without knowing what the country is like is just retarded.

Good Idea !!!! - Before they boarded their first-class flight they should have fired up their iMacs and sipping on a latte check out the educational facilities in Ireland.

professore wrote:
    Who manages the hospitals ??? Don't blame the cleaners - try working as a cleaner and see how you like it.

Actually, studies of MRSA show that the spread is mostly due to doctors and nurses who fail to observe quarantine and sterilisation procedures when moving from patient to patient. This is why the NHS in britain is thinking about banning the classic doctor's white coat and tie in favour of short sleeved surgical scrubs.

But I won't deny those who want to rag on the foreign cleaners the chance to prove themselves racist if they want. I will as the question: Why aren't Irish people applying for these cleaner's jobs? Last time I checked there were about 160,000 on the unemployment register.

Black V white, Religious V non religious ! Are people here wilfully stupid ? It has nothing to do with this and everything to lack of a functioning department of education and an uncaring unsupportive government, without an ounce of social foresight to have seen this issue when it was pointed out that class numbers were on the rise, regardless of where the increased number of students is coming from. Anyone who says any different IMO is just deflecting the issue from sheer idiocy or some other agenda !

They sure are - 35% of people surveyed in a recent poll actually BELIEVE Bertie is telling the TRUTH in the Mahon Tribunal :eek:

Its a Government issue, before this immigration started the majority of the population of Ireland where Catholic and thus the church built schools on their grounds, now for the last 10 years with the Lax immigration laws we have an influx of immigrants and basically the Government did damn all about it and they also didn't fund any extra schools to meet this influx of immigrants.
    As for the African immigrants they don't integrate into Irish Society, a lot of their kids don't even speak english and this actually slows down the amount that can be thought in the classes, I should know as it happens in my kids school and 2 teachers have told me the same thing.

Funny thing my wife saw last week in Dunnes Stores in Lucan a row between an African Lady and an Irish Middle aged lady, basically the African Lady jumped the queue for the checkouts and the Irish lady told her to get back to the end of the queue and the African lady shouted your Racist, which the Irish Lady quick as a flash said "I bet thats the first words you learn when you came here!"

Snake ;)

So you think all African immigrants are like that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

There's nothing "revisionist" about what I've stated. It's "truthful". There was more than enough food to feed the people. There was no shortage. Export lists of the time prove it. Hell, credit union accounts in Galway were released not so long ago that prove the extent of the profiteering by irish people at the time.

Ignoring the truth just so you can continue to spout hate at the english, or at me, does not undermine your credibility, it proves you are either stupid or beyond hope. Hell, you've contradicted yourself in your own rebuttal, by stating a famine "is a severe shortage of food" and then admitting that the landowners had the power to stop it in the first place. There was a shortage of one crop, not of "food" as a whole.

A landowner is someone who owns land. Don't recall that phrase in my post. But I am not the one who doesn't think there was no real famine. Nor do I claim to have any monopoly on the truth , something you are obviously better placed to lecture on, by your own appointment it appears.

Oh and ease off on the personal comments like a good chap although I am fascinated how the "English-hating" or any other kind of "hating" was part of what I posted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 104-66-5694

Note to Irish people: For centuries, IRISH people were the goldbricking chancers with no social morals who leeched off other better off societes and charmed the locals with massive drunkenness and weekend fighting, which of course we like to conveniently forget. Not for nothing were police vans in new york called Paddy Wagons.[/quote]
    That is 100% RIGHT!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 104-66-5694

Note to Irish people: For centuries, IRISH people were the goldbricking chancers with no social morals who leeched off other better off societes and charmed the locals with massive drunkenness and weekend fighting, which of course we like to conveniently forget. Not for nothing were police vans in new york called Paddy Wagons.[/quote]
    That is 100% right!!

Irish people are very insecure - small in their thinking and slow.

Whats over the odds? What course are you doing?

If you feel it is expensie did you consider studying in another country? Are you aware that the gov. here do this as a money earner and end up giving selling places to foreign students? There are lots of kids here who would like to have got your place through the CAO and more who would actually pay for it. So thank yourself lucky you have got the opportunity.

also to the poster above (third page) who says its a bad sign that we let the Church build and run our schools - can they advise who would have built/ran a school if the church had'nt?

considering the country had'nt the price of a box of matches at the time and did their best by eventually allowing for a path to free education, if it had'nt been for the RC church back in the early days that ever so well quoted 'young educated workforce' would be very different today as they are the kids of people educated by the church.

There are some real short memories in Ireland, formed around the year 1994/5/6 mass amnesia.

I remember those years well, I was an Irish emigrant working abroad. It was hard enough, but would have been much worse if I had to listen to a**holes in my host country going on about sponging immigrants - luckily for me they targeted Africans as well there, one of whom I worked with, he was one of the most well-educated, decent and hardworking people I ever met. He left Togo due to a military coup and got refugee status. The true sign of a racist is grouping all people together as being all the same.

You might tell that to the current inhabitants, who seem to be labouring under the impression that the Saxons eventually drove off the Norman invaders.

Really? I've never met anyone who was of that opinion.
    Oh no, I have no list of these laws. Durr. Terry can I be given a special dispensation to abuse someone in AH? Just this once? Pleeeeeeease?

Woohoo the brehon laws! And where are the Brehon laws taught in Irish schools? Not at all while I was there! I suppose the brits are to blame for that. And while you're mentioning the brehon laws, please show how the Holy Mother church, which enforced law over the rest of europe, would have supported these laws. Actually, you don't have to, because the british were appointed rulers of ireland by the church themselves, because it wasn't a fan of the existing celtic christianity any more than it was a fan of orthodox chritianity elsewhere, and english law was based on church law anyway. The brehon laws may have been admirable, but they weren't a basis for a nation at the time, in many ways they prevented the Irish from being a unified nation at all.
    There is so much wrong with your ideas of history that I really don't know where to start. If you don't know the difference between the way the Irish were treated and the English were treated, you know nothing about history.

I never denied the Irish were treated badly. What I do suggest is that the perception that the English were the jackbooted nazis of the middle ages onward is totally misguided.
    If you say that the Great Famine was not caused by a lack of food, you know nothing about history.

Point me to where I stated that starvation resulted from something other than lack of food. What I did state was that, contrary to popular belief, there was plenty of food available. Ethiopia had a famine because there was no food available. Ireland had an enforced starvation because food producers were profiteers.
    If you don't grasp the required industrial infrastructure to create automatic weapons was not in posesssion of colonised people, you know nothing about history.

What prevented the colonials having an industrial infrastructure then? And again, please point to how having access to guns helped the pacifist revolution in India. My point was never that the English didn't take over countries. My point was that this takeover was never the simple matter of arrogant racist english pigs stomping round the world putting the boot in at random.
    If you don't think that the original creation of Iraq, setting the stage for today's debacle, was not the work of incompetent British, you know nothing about history.

The original creation of Iraq has little or nothing to do with America's need to control oil reserves, no. The British created the nation that was invaded, they didn't create the oil that was the reason for invasion. If Iraq had no oil, then the americans wouldn't be there, and the religious wars would be allowed to rage unchecked, just as they are elsewhere.
    The one place the British did prove superb in their foreign policy was as drug dealers, fittingly enough, in China.

Again, the product of the lack of foreign policy since the Opium Wars were conducted by the East India Company. The British were interested in profit and not a lot else.
    The Spanish did so well in Central America because the population had been expecting them. The Aztec prophecy of a white man/horse coming to save them made them bow down quickly to the Spanish invaders.

The natives of central america had never seen a horse before the Spanish arrived. The horse did not exist there. Please explain how they "expected" to see a creature they didn't know existed.
    Anyway, to wrap this up:

Edmund: Well, you see, George, I did like it, back in the old days when the prerequisite of a British campaign was that the enemy should under no circumstances carry guns -- even spears made us think twice. he kind of people we liked to fight were two feet tall and armed with dry grass.

George: Now, come off it, sir -- what about M'boto Gorge, for heaven's sake?

Edmund: Yes, that was a bit of a nasty one -- ten thousand D'watushi warriors armed to the teeth with kiwi fruit and guava halves. After the battle, instead of taking prisoners, we simply made a huge fruit salad. No, when I joined up, I never imagined anything as awful as this war. I'd had fifteen years of military experience, perfecting the art of ordering a pink gin and saying "Do you do it doggy-doggy?" in Swahili, and then suddenly four-and-a-half million heavily armed Germans hove into view. That was a shock, I can tell you.

:D

The "British Empire" will go down in history as the disgraceful wet fart that it was.

You're starting your post stating that the English "All think that they drove off the norman invaders", thereby intimating that they're all arrogant/ignorant/stupid and ending your argument with a quote from Blackadder. I couldn't make that up if I tried.

Originally Posted by thelastangryman
    You sir are a condescending bastard. You attack others for spelling yet you don't even know how to do it properly yourself. To bad really, you had some nice little stories to tell.

You sir, are banned.

Classic !!!!:D

Note to Irish people: For centuries, IRISH people were the goldbricking chancers with no social morals who leeched off other better off societes and charmed the locals with massive drunkenness and weekend fighting, which of course we like to conveniently forget. Not for nothing were police vans in new york called Paddy Wagons.

That is 100% right!!

Irish people are very insecure - small in their thinking and slow.[/QUOTE]

Emmm, now you are making the same mistakes in generalising about a race of people as other posters have made.

• Advertisement

Again, you show me where the crop system failed and there was no food in the country, and I'll admit there was a famine. It didn't happen. What happened was enforced starvation as a result of greed and disinterest. That is not a famine. Ethiopia had a famine.

Most famines in the last 200 years or so were caused by greed and disinterest, war, or flawed political systems (e.g. communist Russia and China) not crop failures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

Really? I've never met anyone who was of that opinion.
    Not much with the getting out, are you.
    Woohoo the brehon laws! And where are the Brehon laws taught in Irish schools? Not at all while I was there! The brehon laws may have been admirable, but they weren't a basis for a nation at the time, in many ways they prevented the Irish from being a unified nation at all.
    Which would be the reason for my saying they had such laws. Not have. The Brehon laws were very much the basis for a nation, and in fact were adopted by the Normans in Ireland after a period. However your lack of education is extremely plain indeed, thanks for underlining that.
    And while you're mentioning the brehon laws, please show how the Holy Mother church, which enforced law over the rest of europe, would have supported these laws.
    Edging from just plain nuts to rabidly foaming at the mouth here... Sprinkle liberally with a healthy portion of ignorance...
    Actually, you don't have to, because the british were appointed rulers of ireland by the church themselves,
    Was this before or after they got excommunicated and started their own church because their king wanted to get his hole?
    I never denied the Irish were treated badly. What I do suggest is that the perception that the English were the jackbooted nazis of the middle ages onward is totally misguided.
    Only in your bizzare little universe. Hows it going in there anyway?
    Point me to where I stated that starvation resulted from something other than lack of food. What I did state was that, contrary to popular belief, there was plenty of food available. Ethiopia had a famine because there was no food available. Ireland had an enforced starvation because food producers were profiteers.
    Lollers. Is that meant to make the English look better?
    What prevented the colonials having an industrial infrastructure then?
    They hadn't been wrestling with European nations for centuries?
    The original creation of Iraq has little or nothing to do with America's need to control oil reserves, no. The British created the nation that was invaded, they didn't create the oil that was the reason for invasion.
    Bahahaha... They did make a nation out of disparate and opposed groups, however. That was always going to end well. A bit like a lot of Africa, actually. To spell it out for you in small, simple words, I'm not talking aabout the invasion, I'm talking about the shambles that ensued, and is still ensuing.
    The natives of central america had never seen a horse before the Spanish arrived. The horse did not exist there. Please explain how they "expected" to see a creature they didn't know existed.
    Look it up, sucka...
    You're starting your post stating that the English "All think that they drove off the norman invaders", thereby intimating that they're all arrogant/ignorant/stupid and ending your argument with a quote from Blackadder. I couldn't make that up if I tried.
    I know, you have nowhere near the satirical skill and intelligence of the creators of blackadder, who displayed an admirable ability to deprecate themselves. Instead you seem to be pushing hate at every opportunity, a bit like those aforemention nazi jackbooted pigs there. Not that I'm saying thats what you are, of course. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

If they were indifferent, they weren't attempting anything. They were ignoring it, just like they ignored the poor everywhere.
    Indeed.
    But we're talking about the poor in Ireland.
    Their indifference to the problems elsewhere is not justification for their indifference to the problems here.

There was more than enough food to feed the starving. Lack of food was not the problem. Lack of food is not why people died. People died because the owners of the land chose to sell the food abroad rather than give it (or sell it) to the starving peasant classes.

And the land owners were British lords who were given land here by the British government.

Convenient whitewashing of the Irish involvement there! Please point to facts that show that the poor of, say East London, had more opportunities than the poor of Dublin. Or that the poor of scotland who lived under oppressive (scottish, not english) land laws had more choices in life than irish country peasants. During the 1916 rising, Dublin women beseiged the GPO demanding the rebels hand over the money their men were owed from the army on pay day.
    Again, this does not justify British actions in Ireland.

What stopped them getting their hands on the weapons before that? And please explain how "getting your hands on the weapons" helped the Indians end colonial rule. I'm still with you, but I'm having to slow my cognative processes considerably. Bear with me though, I think I can stoop to your level.
    Careful now. Attack the post, not the poster.

So we should hate the British for their ruthless, constant, 800 year oppression of our poor nation on the one hand, but laugh at them for their incompetence at running an empire on the other. Again, that argument beggars the question why the Irish, with the support of the catholic powers of europe, failed to throw off the pathetically inept British rulers before the advent of the gattling gun, doesn't it?
    We shouldn't hate the British at all. I don't think anyone here is advocating that. We're merely pointing out that those in power at the time were complete ****.
    They beat down any opposition to British rule and they reigned over Ireland with an iron fist. They had far more experience at warfare and were more heavily armed than the Irish.
    Several attempts were made over the years to oust the invaders, but they all failed due to many different reasons.
    The Spanish tried to help, but were beaten by the weather (they got stung with that one again many years later, but that's another story for another day). However, had they succeeded, we would probably just have swapped one colonial power for another.
    The greed, apathy and treasonous behaviour of some Irish people also led to the failure of some uprisings.

Not only did I not deny that, I pointed it out. I also pointed out that the government of the time treated its native citizens just as badly, leaving hundreds of thousands of poor to die of disease, malnutrition, overcrowding, and starvation for no good reason other than that they didn't care.
    Again, not justification for their actions here.
    The old "800 years" argument is the basis of the teaching of history in this country, and I've never heard it used to defend the actions of the british in ireland. The only argument I've heard to defend the actions of irish occupation are those of "expand or die" in the face of protestant - vs - catholic in post-reformation europe, which happened after the initial "invasion" that a lot of people like to forget was instigated as a result of local irish politics.
    My point was that every so often, in arguements such as this, someone trots out the line "Oh, I suppose you are going to talk about the 800 years of oppression now".
    I don't see the problem with this arguement myself. It's a valid point and it's also true. Well, the last 400 years of it anyway.
    And as I keep pointing out, the Irish love to hate the english as a whole on general principle, don't they?
    The English hate the French. The Poles hate the Germans. The Canadians hate the Americans. Blah blah blah.
    It's a worldwide phenomonon and not unique to Ireland. Not justification, but it happens anyway.
    How hard is it to understand that national politics tends to be a little more complicated than the mentality of the average Sun reader? (which has a large circulation over here).
    Another dig at people's intelligence. Nice.

Pointing out th truth and spouting hate at the English are two different things.
    However, if you see this truth as hatred towards the English, then I believe you are the one with the problem here.

As has already been pointed out, the British government at the time were in charge. It was up to them to put a stop to this. They failed to do so.
    This is why Tony Blair apologised on their behalf 10 years ago.
    Durr. Terry can I be given a special dispensation to abuse someone in AH? Just this once? Pleeeeeeease?
    No. Although I am tempted, seeing as Slutmonkey57b keeps telling us we hate the English.

Note to Irish people: For centuries, IRISH people were the goldbricking chancers with no social morals who leeched off other better off societes and charmed the locals with massive drunkenness and weekend fighting, which of course we like to conveniently forget. Not for nothing were police vans in new york called Paddy Wagons.

That is 100% right!!

Irish people are very insecure - small in their thinking and slow.
    uhh wha?
    is dere someting more u want toi addd to dis?
    sory fer de delay in replying.
    i wus to bizy working out how to use the quote tags.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Ireland is the home of revisionist nonsense. .

well you live here i guess.

I never denied the Irish were treated badly

Actually what you said was that there was no famine in Ireland and that english were treated in the same manner by the ruling classes. Now if that was the case then Millions upon milions of people in 19th century britain would have had to have died from starvation and sickness. Millions of others would have had to emigrate. It didnt happen. Hence your assertions are full of sh**e. BTW i seem to remmber having guys like conor cruise obrien writing our history books in school, hardly a case of black and white now.

No I wouldn't. All countries are revisionists when it comes to their own history. But since I'm born in Ireland, I'll take it upon myself to attack our own revisionist history at the moment thank you.

Well you give youreslf a lollypop, thats such a noble thing to do. :) You're the one trying to revise history, mainly to suit your own post nationalist worldview and self loathing me ould son. And of course thats fairly common these days. People who want to make a directors cut of the past just to suit their own current world view. Revisionism-is-bad-unless-im-the-one-who's allowed to do the revising type deal Ted :rolleyes:

I can almost hear dave mustaine in the background "a little man with a big eraaaser changing historryyy"

• Advertisement

Terry wrote:
    Indeed.
    But we're talking about the poor in Ireland.
    Their indifference to the problems elsewhere is not justification for their indifference to the problems here.

I've never put forward the idea that their indifference elsewhere was justification for anything. What I have tried to do it contextualise what is in many people's minds an isolated "us vs them" issue, or a "look at those english bastards" issue. Nothing is quite that simple, although Irish history is taught very much in such simple terms.

And the land owners were British lords who were given land here by the British government.

Which I didn't deny. What I did do, though, was have the affront to point out the simple fact that not all the landowners were british, and that Irish landowners were equally, if not more culpable than the absentees given their residence on their lands.
    Again, this does not justify British actions in Ireland.

Again, point out where I said it did? If anything, I'm suggesting that british (in)actions are worse than they are customarily made out to be.
    Careful now. Attack the post, not the poster.

Exactly the same sarcastic comment he had made towards me in the post I was quoting. I have no qualms about my use of it.

We shouldn't hate the British at all. I don't think anyone here is advocating that. We're merely pointing out that those in power at the time were complete ****.

But brit-hating is an accepted national pastime here, which is what I'm challenging. Again, I don't at any point suggest that those in power weren't ****.
    They beat down any opposition to British rule and they reigned over Ireland with an iron fist. They had far more experience at warfare and were more heavily armed than the Irish.
    Several attempts were made over the years to oust the invaders, but they all failed due to many different reasons.
    The Spanish tried to help, but were beaten by the weather (they got stung with that one again many years later, but that's another story for another day). However, had they succeeded, we would probably just have swapped one colonial power for another.
    The greed, apathy and treasonous behaviour of some Irish people also led to the failure of some uprisings.

None of which changes my point though. Indeed, I made this point myself. My whole response regarding "why did it take so long" is to challenge the point that the British occupation was a brainless "we'll do it because we can" example of racism and bloodthirsty warmongering, which it is often presented as.

My point was that every so often, in arguements such as this, someone trots out the line "Oh, I suppose you are going to talk about the 800 years of oppression now".
    I don't see the problem with this arguement myself. It's a valid point and it's also true. Well, the last 400 years of it anyway.

But that's my point - it's not true in the terms that it's presented. Yes the British occupied the country, yes it was vicous and brutal. The proper historical question is not "are the brits assholes", it's "why did it happen?" And it happened for a lot of reasons other than what is commonly presented.

The English hate the French. The Poles hate the Germans. The Canadians hate the Americans. Blah blah blah.
    It's a worldwide phenomonon and not unique to Ireland. Not justification, but it happens anyway.

No, but like I say above, I don't speak for other countries, I speak for my own.

Another dig at people's intelligence. Nice.

Several have already been made about mine. I've also been accused of being ill-educated. My riposte that I was educated by the fine Irish school system seems to have fallen on wilfully deaf ears, which causes me quite some amusement.

Pointing out th truth and spouting hate at the English are two different things.
    However, if you see this truth as hatred towards the English, then I believe you are the one with the problem here.

As has already been pointed out, the British government at the time were in charge. It was up to them to put a stop to this. They failed to do so.
    This is why Tony Blair apologised on their behalf 10 years ago.

And again, where did I suggest they weren't culpable? My position is that they are more culpable than they are commonly presented as being. And apologising is great and all, but like that, doesn't bring people back from the dead. I'm not a believer in demanding that current societies pay the debts of immoral behaviour of their forefathers several hundred years in the past. The world didn't work according to the same morals then, and people on any side of any given historical event were probably unpalatable to modern times, whether we like that or not. I'd find an apology from modern-day terrorists, such as the IRA or the UDA, or ETA, or Al-Quaida far more useful, but it's not very likely.

No. Although I am tempted, seeing as Slutmonkey57b keeps telling us we hate the English.

No, I'm repeatedly saying that hating the english is an ingrained part of Irish culture, it's a knee-jerk reaction to most people and it's something I enjoy challenging.

Bambi wrote:
    Actually what you said was that there was no famine in Ireland and that english were treated in the same manner by the ruling classes. Now if that was the case then Millions upon milions of people in 19th century britain would have had to have died from starvation and sickness. Millions of others would have had to emigrate. It didnt happen. Hence your assertions are full of sh**e. BTW i seem to remmber having guys like conor cruise obrien writing our history books in school, hardly a case of black and white now.

I've been constantly subjected to the suggestion in this thread that rejection of the word "famine" is equal to rejection of the fact of people's deaths and emigration, along the lines of "holocaust denier".

By rejection the word "famine" I have at no time presented the idea that people did not die of starvation, or that millions emigrated, or that this was not a bad thing, or the fault of the Government of the time.

What I have said is that the phrase "Great Famine" is totally misleading, and wrong. Ethiopia suffered a Famine - the crop system failed, and there was no food for the people to eat. The government did not have the food stocks to feed the people, or the money to buy it in. The international community had to provide the food. That is a famine. That is not what happened here.

What happened here is that people could have been fed, very well, cheaply, with plenty to spare, but the owners of the food chose to let them starve and continued profiteering off their deaths. I am, in fact, advocating a stronger position of guilt on the part of the government than you are. What I suspect people don't like is my factual point that
    a) There were Irish people who could have saved the peasantry but chose not to,
    b) The government of the time were not singling out the Irish people for treatment any worse than the peasants of their own country. They were more guilty in their indifference, but less calculatingly evil than they are commonly presented.

Well you give youreslf a lollypop, thats such a noble thing to do. :) You're the one trying to revise history, mainly to suit your own post nationalist worldview and self loathing me ould son. And of course thats fairly common these days. People who want to make a directors cut of the past just to suit their own current world view. Revisionism-is-bad-unless-im-the-one-who's allowed to do the revising type deal Ted :rolleyes:

I can almost hear dave mustaine in the background "a little man with a big eraaaser changing historryyy"

For someone who's misunderstood what I've posted so completely, you understand me very well. I hope Dave Mustaine continues to be your psychological guidance in your future life.

Slutmonkey, you are just being pedantic now.

I want to see proof of this rampant hatred towards British people.

As for your continuing denial of the famine in Ireland (It was a famine. Like it or not), I think if you look at Ethiopia you will find that crop failure was not the only cause of the famine there.

Something which happened 160 years ago is no less relevant today as it was back then.

Short of kissing the arse of every British person alive today, I do not know what you want from us.

I will not be an apologist for the actions of my fellow countrymen in their struggle to free this country from brutal oppression in the 1800's / early 1900's.
    They did what they had to do to rid this country of a scourge.
    Are we to apologise for their actions?
    Are we to apologise for the actions of the British?
    Are we to apologise for anything?

No, we are not.

Get your head out of your arse there buddy.
    Every Irish person does not hate the British.

If you find me some (apart from the dumbass celtic top squad) then send them my way. Until then, I suggest you open your eyes and realise that the British were a brutal oppressive regime and were quite rightly hated back then.

Not much with the getting out, are you.

I have several (irish) relatives who have lived in England for years and never encountered the the behaviour you describe, even among the ill-educated. Maybe you get out a lot more than they do though?
    Which would be the reason for my saying they had such laws. Not have. The Brehon laws were very much the basis for a nation, and in fact were adopted by the Normans in Ireland after a period. However your lack of education is extremely plain indeed, thanks for underlining that.

Would have is indicative of past tense. Thank you for misunderstanding me (again).

Also, the piece you linked to indicates the contrary that British law didn't catch up to the standards of Brehon laws' status of the individual until the early 20th century. Did you read the piece, or did you just google "brehon" and link to the first likely candidate?

You attack my education, I point out that my education is perfectly standard in the Irish school system, and yet you continue to attack it. You do realise that by doing so, you are merely making the point that Irish people as a whole are badly educated and that the teaching of history in particular is appaling? And by your misunderstanding of simple tenses in grammar above you are indicating that your own education must be worse than mine?
    Edging from just plain nuts to rabidly foaming at the mouth here... Sprinkle liberally with a healthy portion of ignorance...

So the Holy Roman Empire never existed then? Kings of France and Spain didn't pledge allegience to the Church of Rome? Bishops didn't dictate laws? The Pope didn't have the authority to start wars or remove kings? Interesting point to make.
    Was this before or after they got excommunicated and started their own church because their king wanted to get his hole?

Before, obviously, and if you're not aware of that you need to study the period better and/or stop resorting to brainless internet gloating before you've made your point.
    Only in your bizzare little universe. Hows it going in there anyway?

Attack the post? Since you haven't responded to my question about guns and indian pacifism, I won't hold my breath there.

Lollers. Is that meant to make the English look better?

No. And I've consistantly put forward the point that their actions in this situation were worse. But you clearly don't like me suggesting that history isn't a cut-and-paste white hat/black hat affair, do you?

They hadn't been wrestling with European nations for centuries?

Bzzzt wrong. Read Guns Germs & Steel. But Wait! I hear! He's using a bestselling book for supporting his argument! He must not know what he's talking about LOL I r winnar!

The writer of Guns Germs and Steel is a respected anthropologist with decades of experience whose work has received plaudits from his peers, and the book in question has received critical praise from people in the field. The whole thrust of the book is that contrary to any nation or people's own self-righteous bombast, history does not go to the "superior" conquering force, but that everything is the victim of context and ultimately circumstance.
    Bahahaha... They did make a nation out of disparate and opposed groups, however. That was always going to end well. A bit like a lot of Africa, actually. To spell it out for you in small, simple words, I'm not talking aabout the invasion, I'm talking about the shambles that ensued, and is still ensuing.

The shambles that ensued from the American invasion is the fault of the british creation of Iraq? The strength of Islamic militiantism in the region is far more to do with the support of it by American interests in the middle east in the cold war, and the need for the continued control of the supply of oil, than the existence of any nation state. If anything, the primary cause of the chaos in Iraq is the fallout from the American-led involvement in the Iran-Iraq war of the 80's, and the creation of the mujahideen in Afghanistan by the CIA. Neither of which were linked significantly to the creation of Iraq in the 20's.
    Look it up, sucka...

I didn't need to, but since you make the point the only forerunner of the horse to exist in america died out at the end of the last Ice Age. The mesoamericans and south americans had in some places access to pack animals such as llamas and alpacas, but none of the species of large herd animals that the Europeans enjoyed. Care to quote your sources?

I know, you have nowhere near the satirical skill and intelligence of the creators of blackadder, who displayed an admirable ability to deprecate themselves. Instead you seem to be pushing hate at every opportunity, a bit like those aforemention nazi jackbooted pigs there. Not that I'm saying thats what you are, of course. :D

Again, attacking the post not the poster I see. Still, feel free to continue reporting me to the mod for disagreeing with you. The fact that you're still insulting me (albeit in what you assume to be an incredibly clever "i'll never get banned for this" manner) just proves you've given up attempting to rebut my points and are going to rely on classical childish jeering instead. Well done you.

It seems to me that neither of you are capable of carrying out an arguement without resorting to personal abuse.
    Thread closed.

If anyone wishes to discuss this further, I suggest you take it to Humanities.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement