Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Radio fence

Options
  • 10-09-2007 11:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I have an 18 month old jack Russell who is a bit of a wanderer, I am thinking about buying the above to keep him in our fenced back garden. Does the radio fence work, and is it worth the money.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

You say your back garden is already fenced.

How does he get out then, can you not just plug the holes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

Yeah I tried that but the lill pup always manages to find a gap. grr! im just worried he'd get knocked down or eaten up by a dragon (I've a 5 year old who's convinced that theres dragons living in the woods near our house..)

If he's clever enough to find a gap in the fence, he'll find one in the radio one as well.

Because there will be gaps ..wire too high, too low, battery low, wire looped, wire bitten throug by mice, wire damaged accidentally, etc etc.

Or, if he's THAT determined, he'll just learn to take the hit and do a runner anyway.

Patching up your existing fence and making it escape proof will probably be cheaper and more affective in the long run

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

To answer your specific question, yes they do work. My folks got one for their massively energetic OES/Collie cross. He has never gone astray since it was installed.

However, I agree with peasant. Spend a bit of time putting sheep wire on your existing fence and repairing any damaged bits will be cheaper, and better.

sorry to hijack the thread there...
    prospect wrote:
    OES/Collie cross

Any chance of a piccie?
    Got a OES/Collie cross ourselves, would be interesting to see what yours looks like

https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/38469/39942.JPG

https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/38469/38229.JPG

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

Yes they work - install the wire around your boundary (ie near the fence) put the collar on a medium to high setting for the first few weeks. Mine have never broken out with it on. Although its a bit expensive its worth it for the peace of mind it gives. Batteries are only supposed to last 8 months but mine are still strong nearly a year on.

Obviously take the collar off when going for walks etc and even with the collar off never walk them over the wire. They will not want to walk over it anyway but allowing them to do so devalues the effectiveness of the fence. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I didn't need one, I just secured the back half acre for our rough collie and made sure there was no way to escape. I know 3 people who used the radio fence and all developed faults which led to the dogs straying. I know one other with it who had no problems so far.

peasant wrote:
    Any chance of a piccie?

Wow lovely dog..

Here is my folks Lunatic:

Aahhh ...lovely

and quite similar ...small ears, high back

Thing is, he is less than 6 months old in that photo !! He is a big fell now (12months old) and even though he was recently neutered, he still has bundles of puppy dog energy and enthuisiasm....

• Advertisement

Ours is over 7 years old now ...still as mad as when we first got him at 18 months ...only more predictable :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 www.sphynx.ie

i have Sphynx cats and they very like to stay in garden under sun. Is any radio fence for cats?

Advertisement