Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sun Java Certified programmers

Options
  • 10-09-2007 11:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭

Hi All,

I am thinking of doing the sun java programmers course in dorset-college in october.

Has anybody heard much about the course or even done it before?
    What is you opinion on it?

Its about 1200euro for 10 weeks and I want to be sure before spending that sort of cash.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭440Hz

I have taken the course (not a dorset though), but still waiting to sit the exams.

I studied Java in college so went in with a good background, wanted to do it more as a refresher course and to try and shake off bad habits, pick up industry standards again and things like that.

Its a good course and I would rec. it. If you don't have any Java exp, be warned that you get thrown in at the deep end fairly fast, not much time to get to grips with the language so you would want to have a programming background at least before taking it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭NullZer0

Hi All,

I am thinking of doing the sun java programmers course in dorset-college in october.

Has anybody heard much about the course or even done it before?
    What is you opinion on it?

Its about 1200euro for 10 weeks and I want to be sure before spending that sort of cash.

Any information on this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭fictionaire

Thanks for that.
    I too studied Java in college and have written a couple of applications for work.

Where did you take the course and what was the cost of it?

Is there anywhere that do follow up courses to bring you to the next level?

Check out the training hierarchy from sun:
    http://www.sun.com/training/certification/java/index.xml

This is the details of the course on dorset-college.ie
    http://www.dorset-college.ie/computingcourse.aspx?ID=33

• Registered Users Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭henbane

Is there anywhere that do follow up courses to bring you to the next level?
    Sun sez

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

You could always study it yourself and just pay €200 to sit the exam.
    This software is great www.enthuware.com costs 40 dollars or so but you'll be well prepared.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭radioactiveman

You could always study it yourself and just pay €200 to sit the exam.
    This software is great www.enthuware.com costs 40 dollars or so but you'll be well prepared.
    I did the exam a while ago and definitely at the end of the day you have to sit down yourself and work through it to get it into your head.
    1200 could be worth it but you might be better off getting a load of sample exams and questions and doing them, working through them with the compiler to see what happens in different situations

Thanks for all the advise!

Advertisement