Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buyer beware

Options
  • 10-09-2007 12:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭

A young chap that works with me bought a second hand car privately for 7k,and after approx. one week, one of the cv joints has failed and he's looking at quite a large bill.
    Does he have any come-back on the seller or is it just hard luck?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

If he bought privately he has no comeback.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

AFAIK In a private sale, it's buyer beware. Also true in the car auctions - it's "buy as seen".

Sale of goods act / merchantable quality only applies to a consumer purchasing from a company.

Personally, I have never bought privately without getting a mechanic to give it a good inspection first. Best €100 you'll ever spend considering that you're parting with such a large wad of cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭barryfitz

Like that if he bought privately, its just tough luck. did he get a mechanic to check it out before he bought it. If he did the mechanic might have been able to detect it. (probably caused by a crack in the CV boot)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

CV joint aint that bad cost wise, bit of work in it though. What year is the car? If it 7-9 years old it's common enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

When buying privately "Caveat Emptor" applies, buyer beware!

You pay your money and take your chance. When buying private only agree to buy after a mechanic inspection.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

CV joint should cost SFA mate.

Just buy a spurious part from a motorfactors, fitting only requires the removal of brakes and a wheel. Although best to get the other one done while you're at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Keith C

Is replacing a rear swingarm/wishbone expensive??

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

depends on car. i got one done in a punto onece and it cost like €150

• Closed Accounts Posts: 633 ✭✭✭IncredibleHulk

Does he have any come-back on the seller or is it just hard luck?

For future reference:-

See guide to buying a car at http://www.consumerconnect.ie/eng/

You can download a pdf or call them and get hard copy

PS How come I get logged out when I change forum. What should I tick or click?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

bazz26 wrote:
    When buying privately "Caveat Emptor" applies, buyer beware!

You pay your money and take your chance. When buying private only agree to buy after a mechanic inspection.

Yes, but buying a say 1 year old car with the balance of a manufacturers warranty privately will be every bit as sound as buying from a dealer.

It'll be cheaper too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭LOTTOWINNER

The car is a 2000 Audi A3 tdi, not sure if he got a mechanic to check it out.
    Thanks for all the replies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

CV joints are among the easiest things to check when buying a car (#1 look at the boots, #2 check for clicking on full lock, right and left)

They're between 50 and 70 euro depending on model from a motorfactors and can be changed in as little as 15 mins (I've done a few:) )

Advertisement