Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marathon Training Question

• 10-09-2007 12:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 482 ✭✭

Hi all -

I know there are already a few threads avtive on this topic, but here goes -

Im thinking of doing the dublin city marathon this year: Problem is, ive probably left it a little late to start training properly for it. I have been doing plenty of shorter runs but am lacking in longer distance runs (20k plus). I will be doing the half marathon regardless.

-Based on my current mileage (see below) is it too late to thinking of doing the marathon this year??

- Training around 14 hours a week (Triathlon)
    - Run Mileage: currently doing 3 x 10k during the week (One Fartlek) and one longer 12 - 20k on weekends.
    - My 10k time is around the 40 minute mark
    - Adidas 10miler time was around 1hour 10'

Basically I dont wont to overload and get injured...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

When you say 20k I assume you mean 20 kilometers rather than 20 miles?

You have left it very late but it depends what you want to achieve. Starting now you could add build up your long runs at a steady pace and still have time to fit in an 18 - 20 miler before you have to taper. That plus your exsisting fitness will get you round but be warned it won't be fast and it may not be pretty! You'll also be very sore teh next day as your joints won't have time to adapt to endurance road running. But be sensible on teh day, go slowly and enjoy the atmosphere and it's possible.

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Marathon Man

Ah you'll be grand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

I did the marathon for the first time last year. I was running regularly before hand, but the furthest I'd run was 10miles!

I also have problems with my ITB bands, so went to a physio.

My main objective was to finish it, it was on my list of things to do before I hit 30 :)

I ran around 20miles of it, but after the first 17 or so, it was a combination of walking and running.

The lack of long runs definitely let me down I think. I suffered for a long time afterwards. I won't be doing it this year, but I hope to do it next year. When I do, I'll have trained properly, and have done a few long runs beforehand.

I don't think it's too late now, but I'd advise increasing your distance to get your body used to it, but be careful not to overdo it.

K.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

hey OP no you definitly havent left it too late not by a long shot, i ran my first one in april and i was nowhere near the running fit i can be(or you are now), my 10k's were around 45 mins and i was doing loads of upper body weights as opposed to leg weights, apart from maybe 2-3 10ks a week i ran TWO 20k's and ONE 30k before the marathon and ran it handy enough, done it in 4hrs 16mins, not fast but i took it easy, went on the piss the night before and that night an all!!! only sore for 2-3 days so i say go for it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 194 ✭✭lizanne83

I must reiterate the importance of the long runs too. You seem v-fit already & run a good 10k time but your performance & whole mentality after about 18 miles seriously changes! I’ve been running for years & only competing in 10-14k mini-marathons. I’m doing my first half & full marathons this year - The Dublin half marathon next week & the full marathon in October. I started ‘proper’ training around June. Before this, the longest I would have ever run would be about 8-10miles with no problems and about 30-35 miles/week. However, since training for marathon, I’ve been gradually increasing long runs to 15, 18, 19 & last weekend I did 21 miles. Weekly mileage is now 45-50 miles. If I had only started doing this now I think I would have been leaving it too late. After the first 18 miler I found my back & legs really aching for days later. The following week I did 19 miles – not as painful just little discomfort. Following week did a 21 miler & felt perfectly fine afterwards & next day. Basically, it takes a few long runs – but taken on gradually, before your body can adapt to such distances. My question now to others is – should I go a bit further & do a 22/24 mile? As I’m female, I read that this is unnecessary & too much for just training? I’d like to though so I know that only 4-miles extra energy is needed for marathon day! PS to Trinewbie’s original post – get yourself a GPS training watch, really helps + a fuel/hydration belt for the long runs to carry gels/water etc. The caffeine injection from gels really helps each hour of running!
    Lizanne - www.lizannebarnwall.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Clum

lizanne83 wrote:
    My question now to others is – should I go a bit further & do a 22/24 mile? As I’m female, I read that this is unnecessary & too much for just training?

All depends on what you're looking for and how fit you are. I've run a couple of marathons but never did longer than 22 miles in one training run, maybe doing 2 of them in the build up. A heavy weeks training for me would have involved about 70 or 80 kms.

But then I was only aiming for around 3.15. Look at Zhou Chunxiu, the first female home in this years London marathon, she ran between 200 and 300 kms a week in her training. I'm sure one or two of her runs were marathon distance.

It's not unknown for folk to run the full distance before hand but usually only elite athletes do this. If you've been running the long runs at a slower than marathon race pace you'll probably take almost as long to run 22 miles in training as you will 26 miles come race day, so you should be used to running for that length of time already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 194 ✭✭lizanne83

Thanks Clum,
    Will do a 22mile this wknd then taper until after half marathon then do a 22 miler again before tapering for full-marathon. As long as I stay injury free I'll be v-happy. Pushing it has caused injury before and is just counter-productive + very annoying when can't run for days/weeks... but I never listen to 'rest' advice but am certainly doing so recently... and it works!! Good luck :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭gar_29

both op and lizanne -

with training like that, the marathon will be a doddle. there's nothing quite like the adrenaline of the day, the crowds, the clapping. going for a training run on a dark evening, around your usual route, is nothing like a marathon, and it's even better when you see bits of dublin on foot that you only ever see from a car!

best of luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 482 ✭✭trinewbie

thanks for all the replies...Have started upping the mileage already, Last tri of seaon on Sat so will focus all my efforts on running...

Was on a 15miler last night, no stiffness soreness today - hopefully a sign of things to come. :)

Looks likely that ill give the marathon a go, Id be pleased if I came in under 3.5 hours.

Thanks Again to all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭irelandsown

Hoping to finish my first marathon this year. Up to 15 miles now on my long runs and hope to get to 18-19 before tapering. Will this be enough to get me around? Dont really care about times, just want to finish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭HardyEustace

yes, before taper my long runs were 3x 16 miles and 2x 18 miles.

I loved every minute of my first race as like you I just wanted to finish. Ended up finishing in 4:30 which was thrilling and still brings a smile to my face. Crossing that finish line is the most incredible feeling in the world. Less than six weeks to go now till Dublin 2007... Yippee!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

trinewbie wrote:

Was on a 15miler last night, no stiffness soreness today - hopefully a sign of things to come. :)

Thanks Again to all

I'm training 13 weeks and struggled on a 12 miler last weekend!

18 miles this weekend uuuugggggggghhhhhhhhhhh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 osgur

How do you guys manage the intake of fluids say on a 15mile or 20mile training run. I do not fancy wearing a belt at all. Also how ofen should the fluid be taken, every 4 miles or so ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Abhainn

osgur

For anything up to 14 miles I used to fill up with water / glucose drinks in the preceeding hour or two before the run. Mind you by the time 12 miles came around I would be welcoming the finish.
    For long runs you could
    1. position fluids prior to the run around the course,
    2. or ask the wife nicely to interept you along the run and provide a nice drink

You should be taking on fluid every 3 miles or so

I also didn't like the idea of carrying fluid with me but tried the Newline water bottle pack in the below. I did an 18 miler a week ago and found is very comfortable. The power gel one appears to be good also
    http://www.irishfit.ie/hydrationproducts.htm

Advertisement