Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need recommendations for an SQL Server host in Ireland

Options
  • 10-09-2007 12:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭

Ok I didn't know where to post this as the relevant forum appears to be locked :confused:

I'm looking for suggestions on what, Ireland based hosts, are available, and would allow me to host an SQL Server, possible a live server also.

We would prefer to have as much root control over the box as possible.

Is there a list somewhere of all Ireland based hosting companies and data centers?

Who would people recommend that they have used?

All help appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Also does anyone know of any data centers that would allow us to use them to host our own machine?

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭dkane

Any data centre will host your own server for you, its called co-location.
    Most will also give you the option of a dedicated server where they provide/maintain the hardware. A cheaper option would be a virtual dedicated server. This is the same as a dedicated server except they use virtualisation and run a number of virtual servers on the one physical machine.
    Any of these options would give you full control over your server. Some companies offer cheap hosting on a shared server with unlimited MySQL accounts/databases.

Have a look at www.blacknight.ie, www.hosting365.ie for prices etc.

I use blacknight myself, never had any problems with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

ok, say we opt for co-location. What is the procedure if some of our hardware fails? Do we have to come in and fix it ourselves?

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭dkane

Yes usually it would be up to you. In most cases your equipment will be locked in a cabinet and the data centre operators will not touch it. You will have to make appointments to call out and possibly tell them in advance if you will be bringing in or removing any hardware.
    You can usually pay extra for "on-site hands and eyes" where the data centre operator will follow your instructions to press a button or tell you the colour of a LED or read something from a screen but they won't do much more than this.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

L31mr0d wrote:
    Also does anyone know of any data centers that would allow us to use them to host our own machine?

You can drop your kit into Digiweb's DC - http://digiweb.ie/business/hosting/colocation-trial.asp

Best idea to have a chat and map out your requirements.

• Advertisement
Advertisement