Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gregan arrested.

Options
  • 10-09-2007 1:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭

Gregan's a doubt for the remainder of the cup ... arrested for drink
    driving in by Les Flics.

See here for more

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

hughchal wrote:
    Gregan's a doubt for the remainder of the cup ... arrested for drink
    driving in by Les Flics.

See here for more
    Racist humour. I would object to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

how is this racist?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Deacon Blues

Now WHERE is the racism in this ??????????????????

If it was a small white child in a similar situation, and somebody posted it with "Stringer arrested", would that be racist ??

The joke was not about colour or race. It was about the juxtaposition of a small child in amongst the CRS guys. You could object on several levels, but an accuasation of racism is a serious one, and does not apply here.

I would advise you to go, look at a definition of racism, and then come back and apologise.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

juxtaposition

Good word..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

Actually Tim Robbins is right to a certain degree, it's not racist as such, this is a parody of how most Muslim and Black People in France are treated by the French Police, namely the CRS (who by the way if you are ever in France, say sir yes sir, leave it at that and you should be fine)

From a French persons point of view, to me that's what it looks like anyway.

I'm not sure if the OP did this himself or if this was sourced somewhere else. (I would imagine the latter)

One thing i will say... I pissed myself laughing for a long time when I saw this :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

Samba wrote:
    Actually Tim Robbins is right to a certain degree, it's not racist as such, this is a parody of how most Muslim and Black People in France are treated by the French Police, namely the CRS (who by the way if you are ever in France, say sir yes sir, leave it at that and you should be fine)

From a French persons point of view, to me that's what it looks like anyway.

I'm not sure if the OP did this himself or if this was sourced somewhere else. (I would imagine the latter)

One thing i will say... I pissed myself laughing for a long time when I saw this :D
    If you are a racist person and likes laughing at black people - white police men surrounding a black kid, has a nice subtext of white superiority for you.

It's not funny because in 2007 in most western white majority democracies, black people still get a hard time from police.

It would perhaps be funny if black people didn't get a hard time and it was a child with red hair who was surrounded and the reference was to a player with red hair because then the photo with have no reference to ugly social reality.

I can't believe I have to explain this.

Ultimately you are laughing at something to do with the colour of Gregan's skin. Pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

If you are a racist person and likes laughing at black people - white police men surrounding a black kid, has a nice subtext of white superiority for you.

It's not funny because in 2007 in most western white majority democracies, black people still get a hard time from police.

It would perhaps be funny if black people didn't get a hard time and it was a child with red hair who was surrounded and the reference was to a player with red hair because then the photo with have no reference to ugly social reality.

Ultimately you are laughing at something to do with the colour of Gregan's skin. Pathetic.
    no i'm laughing at his size.

anyway i'll move this from rubgy to humour

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

Or humanities? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

It's sizist (which is fine!). People are laughing at his size, not his skin colour.

Brilliant picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭TheBigLebowski

Are you for real? It's a joke cos he looks a bit like Gregan and he's surrounded by police. This has nothing to do with the fact that he is black other than the fact that if he wasn't, it wouldn't look like Gregan. You making a race issue out of it and pointing out the fact that he is black is more racist in my opinion...

Get off your PC high horse (that is if you're not winding us up)..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

so you're saying that the only reason white people would laugh at this is because the subject is black? now that's good racism. it can't be funny because it's a kid surrounded by cops, has to be cause it's black, right?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 633 ✭✭✭dublinario

You heard it here first people. Look alikes of non-white people are hereby banned! While we're at it, could we ban the word "black". I think calling black people black is racist.

Robbins, I don't know how you get around with the weight of all that political correctness on your back. Grow up. You're an embarrassment to thoughtful lefties.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Raytown Rocks

Funny as hell, I laughed loudly.
    ( Based on the rugby related background and not on a colour of skin issue)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

wait, hang on a mo, thatsa Girls Bike are they tryin to out Gregan as well

Faculty rules 1,3,5, 7.

Australia,Australia,Australia:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

Excuse me sir? You have called me "racist" Jeez, i guess i'm a racist now, I wonder what my local parish will think of this racism jazz.

Do you know what, I found this photo funny in relation to the Rugby and in relation to the harsh reality that you speak of.

You realise this was probably done up in Photoshop by a young French male of African origins, I would love to be able to confirm this but alas, that's an impossibility.

Why do I find it funny? Because to me it highlights the inadequacies of the French police and their views towards ethnic minorities within France.

It's a parody, parodies are generally used in a comic sense and this is very much the case here.

It's not just highlighting the Grim truth that you are referring to Buddy, try looking through the glass some time...you might see another picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭mickrourke

In the famous words of president Merkin Muffley:
    Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room.

Or to change the words slightly:

"You can't be serious in here! This is the humour forum!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

If there had not of been all this, over-the-top PC bullsh1t, someone might have said 'that kids bike has no seat' and maybe even added more humour.
    good work Tim Robbins ya knob.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

No personal abuse please, thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,575 ✭✭✭patmac

Go and object somewhere else, with the MASS crowd, who want us to enjoy drink sensibly, or the born again christians, or all the other do-gooders like George W, and McDowell who want us all to live our lives in a clean, church living alcohol free boring society. Jeez we'd better enjoy the humour forum while we can before Tim Robbins and his ilk ban it.

patmac wrote:
    Jeez we'd better enjoy the humour forum while we can before Tim Robbins and his ilk ban it.
    That will never happen as along as I can reach a ban button.
    Tim are you listening?

• Advertisement

in fairness to Tim, I don't think he posted in the Humour forum.

Tim has never posted here before. He is a lurker.

That's fair enough but if you just expect to be entertained without contributing you don't really have the right to criticise someone else's efforts. As the saying goes put up or shut up.

A bit harsh maybe but ment for the good of the forum.

I totally agree :) but my point was, this wasn't in humour when he posted what he posted (afaik) - it was moved from Rugby.

You're absolutely right. I missed that. That's always a danger with moved threads. We don't get that many moved here so I wasn't on the ball that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

swiss_ball_standing.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

Jeeze I've been searching for this in rugby (I was the OP there) for the longest time (well, a day at least) and only just found it here with Google.

No racism intended, just thought it was a size issue and the fact the kid looked like a mini-Gregan was coicidental. Tim, you ned to chill, man.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Hagar wrote:
    You're absolutely right. I missed that. That's always a danger with moved threads. We don't get that many moved here so I wasn't on the ball that time.

i reported it from the rugby forum as possibly a candidate for the humour forum, but possible not. the use of the gregan reference was dodgy imo, I've seen that pic a few times before and it has had a few slightly different slightly racist jokes based on it imo..

AFAIK that picture was taken during the riots in Paris last year, I vaguely remember seeing it in the local paper at the time. There was no racist slant on it though, it was more a community service slant like "We're here to make the streets safe for you to play on your bike".

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

sorry hagar, what I meant was that I had gotten it on email a few times with different black personalities in place of gregan, the likes of 'being a star didn't help mackele when he was caught riding his bike on the pavement'

Not a biggie but thats why I think it is slightly dodgy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Funniest thing ive seen in a while.

Who ever in their small mind thinks this is even remotely rascist needs to get bent and die.

Grow up ffs.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement