Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Win XP Pro will not restart or complete shutdown

• 10-09-2007 1:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

Since friday evening, the PC at home (An HP Pavilion desktop) has refused to restart or shutdown.
    More specifically, it will allow me to select 'Start' --> 'Shutdown' and will close out the OS GUI, it will also play the Windows XP exit jingle. It then proceeds to stall on the XP logo'd screen, cutting communications with the mouse (no movement, or infrared light) & keyboard.
    The very same thing happens when I attempt a 'Start' --> 'Restart'.

Any ideas?

Prior to this, the system was reliable, regularly updated/patched, daily AV scans, not used in any file sharing. The first sign of any trouble was on friday evening when the system proved a little awkward in booting up into Win XP - it took some time, then it was fine afterwards.
    The system is running fine otherwise with no other side effects :confused: to the best of my knowledge.
    As it stands I've got to carry out the 'regular' shutdown or restart procedure and when it stalls on the XP logo'd exit screen, push and hold the power button for 10 secs to complete the task - hardly ideal! :o

Any tips on what to try out?

Thanks a lot.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Try going into Safe Mode and see if it shuts down or restarts properly there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

Thanks Ruu.

Just spent the evening working on it and I think I've got it sorted out now. The next reboot should tell all.

Cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,241 ✭✭✭MrVestek

ciarsd wrote:
    Thanks Ruu.

Just spent the evening working on it and I think I've got it sorted out now. The next reboot should tell all.

Cheers.

So how did it turn out? And what was the problem?

Advertisement