Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buggy/pram for forests, paths, trail walking

Options
  • 10-09-2007 1:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I'm look for a 2nd hand buggy/pram for our 3 month old baby.
    I want to use it for walking on rough terrain- paths, woods, trails, gravel trails etc.

Does anyone know which ones are suitable and where's best place to buy one (Ebay, Buy and sell etc.).

thanks,
    Patrick.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

Not exactly the same, but I'd strongly recommend a sling and/or wrap for forest walks. I have *adored* mine and still use them everyday (and my babe is over nine months old and about 20 pounds). I have actually never used a pram/walker for my babe (although we have one for when her grandmother wants to take her for walks).

And since I'm guessing you're a guy, let me just say that my hubby "wears" our babe frequently as well, and he agrees that you just can't beat them.

In my opinion, nothing beats the freedom of movement and bonding you have when you have your babe in a sling. Everyone comments on the "handiness" and I think if people can get over the inital fear/confusion of them I think they're worth a try...sure is easier then trying to push a pram up a rocky hill and through wet terrain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭Linford

dinneenp wrote:
    Hi,
    I'm look for a 2nd hand buggy/pram for our 3 month old baby.
    I want to use it for walking on rough terrain- paths, woods, trails, gravel trails etc.

Does anyone know which ones are suitable and where's best place to buy one (Ebay, Buy and sell etc.).

thanks,
    Patrick.

Most of the buggies that are marketed as being good for "off road" are pretty useless. Its much easier and much less effort to use a back-pack carrier or a sling like ayla suggested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Someone gave us one before and it was useless. Next time I'm going to look for something decent. 53° North store in Blanchardstown had some backpack/slings last time I was in there looking around for something similar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭dame

We had baby sling (Tomy), excellent for smaller babies, then a big backpack type one that we got in an outdoor shop that does up until 4 years old. We also had a buggy which we used cross-country (Bébé Confort Everest). The buggy was a three-wheeler, had pneumatic tyres, strong springs at the front and was excellent for cross-country and running with but difficult to use in around town as the front wheel didn't swivel. Here's the one we have: http://www.baby.ie/branddetail.asp?brandname=Bebe+Confort&ID=426. Newer versions of the same buggy do swivel (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/New-Bebe-Confort-Everest-Pushchair-Pram-in-New-Oxygen_W0QQitemZ120159388770QQihZ002QQcategoryZ66700QQcmdZViewItem). We had a cheap, light little Graco buggy for grandparents to use in around town.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Hi,
    I already have a buggy for town- just looking specifically for a 2nd hand one for woods, trails etc.

Don't want to spend a lot on it as don't know how good it'll be or how often we'll use it. I just want the option of walking in parks, trails. I have a sling but not mad on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,061 ✭✭✭Jnealon

I'd recommend a BOB. I have a double version and I have taken it across fields, trails and on a few runs. I got it in the states but I have seen them on ebay

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

OP - For what it's worth, there are tons of different types of slings. If you didn't like the one you had you may find another you like.

I've found (and heard) that any of the pre-made slings (ie: Tomy, etc) get uncomfortable b/c the straps cut into your shoulders and the weight isn't carried where it makes sense (ie: the hips). That would make for a bad sling experience.

I've used two different types of slings and love them both - one's a ring sling where it's basically a loop you hang over one shoulder and tighten through a ring. The other is a wrap, which is no more than a long peice of fabric you wrap around yourself & knot. The babe sits/lays very comfortably pressed up against your body in either the sling or wrap and I can carry my 20 pound DD for hours through hikes with no bother.

Advertisement