Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galaxy MP7 Review

Options
  • 10-09-2007 1:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭

Galaxy MP7

Velocity: 212fps @ .2g BB
    Power Range: 40 Meter
    Accuracy: 10 Meter

Precursor: I stripped this gun complete, and pictures will follow tonight.

Build:
    The gun itself is made for ABS plastic, with additional full metal Top and Sides rails. The sights are full metal and are fairly strong as is the trigger. The handle feels a little weak but not significantly so.

The top Rail has three screws which attach it to the body of the gun. The quality of the metal of use in manufacturing these screws is fairly low. One of the first things I managed to do was to destroy the head of one of them. Lucky it was only cosmetic and not actually used the hold the rail on. This type of thing is to be expected though when buying a clone. The other metal parts (trigger & rails ect) are made from a far superior metal alloy.

The extendable stock has an ABS butt and metal alloy rails. These are of a decent thickness and quality. The stock breaking seems very unlikely.

The mags; the low cap you get with the gun (27 rounds approx) is grand, fits the gun and feeds nicely. The high cap is another story altogether. There where clearly some Quality control issues here. The mag spring was broken on arrival, meaning the BBs where not being driven out of the mag. additionally the little nip on the front of the mag, used to hold the mag in place, was smoothed down, but rather roof. The first time I, admittedly, slammed the mag into the chamber; it broke the little piece of plastic which holds the mag in place. Additionally the mag itself didn’t lock into the barrel feeder nicely and required a bit of form to get it in. All in all I was not impressed with the high Cap.

Internals:
    The gun has a full metal gear box which I removed and inspected, fully adjustable hop up and full metal barrel. The gear Box is power via two wires which connect to the battery just into the top rail (the fuse is also in this compartment). The wires aren’t particularly well insulated nor the connection to the batter secure. This is where you’re most likely to have a problem with this gun, and I’d give the wires/connections 18 to 24 months before one of the other burn out. The gear box itself is very solid and I can’t see the gear box giving any problems.

The batteries slots into the front of the gun (you need to have the fire mod at safe to remove battery). It seems to be of a decent quality and I was impressed that it didn’t just go bang when I accidentally shorted it.

Battery:
    I've found that the Red LED on the charger will be noticable brighter the lower the battery, and pretty dull when full. The front of the gun is release via a square button on the underside. The gun must be in safe mode to insert or remove the battery. There is a little movable rail inside the battery chamber which is extended when inserting or removing which must be push back in (not forcefully) to insert battery. The head of the battery has a black/grey pad, which is circular at the one end and flat at the other, the circular part is the top of the battery.

Feel to the gun:
    With The stock folded up there is a noticeable weighting towards the front of the gun. It’s pretty much the first thing you will notice about the gun when you hold it. Fully extended, however, the gun is pretty much perfectly balanced about the handle.

The noise this gun makes is impressive. You don’t feel like you’re firing a 212fps gun. It definitely has the intimidation factor. I’ve found it louder then a D’boy m4 and Aug (thought you might say their not extremely loud themselves). I love the sound this gun makes.

The folding front handle is nice and solid and there is no noticeable movement in the stock when extended or fully closed.

Firing the gun;
    The gun is rated for accuracy up to 10meters but it was perfectly straight over that distance, suggesting a higher range of accuracy. It feels great firing the gun and its has a nice rate of fire (27 rounds in approx six seconds). The firing is smooth and consistent. The movement between semi and fully automatic is seamless, though safety is a bit hard to put on.

The first time I tried to fire the gun it wouldn't work, i found the issue was that I wasn't quiet on the right fire selector.

Conclusion:
    The high mag was ****e.
    The gun itself is excellent and great value for money (89 euro from www.eirsoft.ie. ) This would be a great addition to anyone’s CQB arsenal.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

Quick post while I just scoped this, and I'll supplement a bit more later on.

Firstly, much thanks for your review (haven't had a minute spare for mine yet ;) )

Secondly, I am seconding Boston' s take on the look-&-feel + balance entirely.

The receiver plastic feels a bit cheap to the touch, but the MP7 is deceptively solid, with no wobbles, creaks or anything.

The stock sturdiness (when extended) is certainly confidence-inspiring.

The selector and mag release catch do their bit fine, although I can't seem to be able to move the trigger safety on mine (I take it that's what the lever on the receiver above the trigger is :confused: )

I have not fired mine yet, as I'm still trying to figure out charging time (no manual in the box :( , don't know MAH rating or if the charger is auto-cutting or what... it's a weird-looking setup alright!) and how to open the thing to put the battery in.

Both my real-cap and hi-cap mags appear fine, although obviously with no test firing I can't comment about the issues Boston has raised about the hi-cap. The small real-cap looks very nasty though, good job it disappears inside the handle :D

There have been some issues raised over on Arnie's Forum about the electrics, although not in as much details as what Boston has kindly explained - and having read Boston's bit about the internal wiring, I now have a feeling the problems the guys on Arnie's are having indeed stem from that.

Oh, yeah - same as Boston about the front foldable grip - doesn't feel quite as sturdy as the stock (my stock really is rock solid, miles more so than my 6-position DBoys M4A1 stock), but very sturdy all the same.

Advertisement