Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MOH Airborne: Can I upgrade graphics card?

Options
  • 10-09-2007 2:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭

Bought and loaded Medal of Honour Airborne over the weekend only to discover that the Radeon 9200 AGP that came with the PC (a Sony PCV-RS404) isn't sufficient to run the game.

I've checked out the ATI X1650 series and the nVidia 7600GT/S series but after hearing from someone who bought one on-line only to then find his power supply wasn't sufficient, nor was his tower case big enough I'm reluctant to jump in and buy one.

How can I verify that the PSU in the PC is capable? Is spending €150 or so on a graphics card worth it for a 4 yr old PC (Pentium 4, 3 Ghz, 1.5GbRam)

(Or should I just return the game and buy a PS3 at Christmas........)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

If the PC came with a 9200 then the psu is probably a 200 or 250w model at best, or even possibly more likely 180w or thereabouts, so yes you'd want to upgrade the power supply most certainly. As for the case size, well, if it isn't big enough for a 7600GT, then you're pretty much screwed when it comes to the latest games.

Now, the bad news - the 7600Gt and especially 7600GS and X1600Pro are pretty poor for Airborne, ideally you'd want to get something like an X1950Pro (about 150 euro for AGP)

The 3Ghz Processor 1.5Gb ram are not too bad and should be fine paired with a somewhat decent card.

As for whether it's worth it....maybe. Depends on how much you use the PC and how much you play, but it's really only a last ditch option for you, it won't be long before that Processor is insufficient for the latest games.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Patrickof

Thanks Havok, I opened up the PC last night, the PSU is Max Output of 295W, so might just squeeze it. Though I already have an extra HDD in the machine.

I'll look up the wattage reqs of the graphics cards.

Physically, it shoud fit fine, plenty of space in the chassis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Well you could chance an X1950GT it is basically a slightly slower X1950Pro.

As for the console maybe depends on if you have HDTV if no well then to me most games on X360/PS3 that I've seen on SD displays look fairly bad but some may be more forgiving.

For 300 bucks you could get an Xbox 360 and connect it up to your monitor with the VGA cable and use that for gaming though three caveats;

1) Games are always more expensive on Xbox 360/PS3 even if it's the same game on the PC.
    2) MOH: A is one of those games that really does play better with a mouse, out of curiosity I tried the X360 demo and did not like it at all and I generally have no issues with FPS gamepads but it did not seem to work well.
    3) You need to buy the VGA cable separately for the Xbox 360 (PS3 has no VGA support you need a display with DVI+HDCP or HDMI support to use on computer monitors or get a component to VGA converter).

Advertisement