Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question on a pregnancy check

Options
  • 10-09-2007 2:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

To all preggers and mamis,
    did you have the Strep B test done between your 35-37 week?
    I am not from Ireland and this is done as a routine check in my country. Also in the UK and most countries. Failure to know if you hae this strep or not can cause your baby to get serious diseases like meningitis, etc, and if you have it, you just have to take some antibiotic during labour.
    No one has mentioned anything to me on this and I am fearing it might not be checked... It is done by a swab.

Anyone who can help!>

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

Elen -

I didn't have it, haven't heard of it being done (although each doctor and hospital seems to have their own way of doing things).

Best of luck w/ your pregnancy and upcoming delivery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shelli

I didn't have it done either, but if your worried about it you can request it, don't let them tell you no, you may have to push for it. Due to a hereditory metabolic disorder in my partners family, I had to have some tests done that aren't done under normal circumstances and I had to fight to have them, would have worried myself sick without them, so while the odds were very low they were well worth my peace of mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 915 ✭✭✭ArthurDent

They don't routinely screen for strep b here afair, it is a relatively simple test. I was tested on my last pregnancy because I was having a number of other tests to do with other possible delivery complications. Just ask your obs if you are concerned and don't let them fob you off. Its strange how difficult women here have to fight for tests that are routinely offered in other countries - I had a battle to have nuchal fold scan and afp test on my last baby (and had to pay a fair bit for them) - they weren't offered - I'm presuming on the basis of - well what would you do if you got a bad result?

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Elen

I have GP on Monday so I will talk to her. I have read it is so simple and the consecuences can be very serious... I think it is unreal that it is not done routinely. I dont mind paying for it, to be honest... the thing is I am nearly 34 and only have until week 37 to have it done

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Kernel32

I remember my wife getting this done as routine in the states.

I also noticed something from other peoples posts and from pregnancies within my family in Ireland. In Ireland it seems like scans(sonograms) are done at the drop of a hat. In the states for a normal pregnancy you get one and one only. Anything beyond that you have to go to a private clinic to pay for and it is done as non medical. The only exception I have seen is if you are over due. After 5 days or 7 days, something like that they do a scan to check on things, see if they should induce.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Elen

There is only one scan here, unless you have any emergency or history of misscarriage...

Advertisement