Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Millionair won the lotto

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Meh. If you buy a ticket, you're entitled to win it, regardless of status.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Fair fúcks to him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

yeah i don't really care either , but i am sure some people will be upset

Some people have all the luck:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,129 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I think that, based on what I said in another thread, this would be one of those special occasions where I would use the "C" word if I ever met this person.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 804 ✭✭✭doubledown

ejmaztec wrote:
    I think that, based on what I said in another thread, this would be one of those special occasions where I would use the "C" word if I ever met this person.

Congratulations?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Binomate

I'd very much doubt that he was a millionaire in the first place because he was lucky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

Binomate wrote:
    I'd very much doubt that he was a millionaire in the first place because he was lucky.

+1 I'm guessin' he probably worked hard to get there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

congrats!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Slow Motion

Just goes to show it's easier to make money when you have lots :D **** happens he's as entitled to it as anyone else ! I am left wondering why he felt the need to buy a ticket though ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭eoin5

I wonder if hell keep doing it now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Some surgeon in Blackrock (presumably already fairly rich) is supposed to have won the Irish Lotto twice quite a while back.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Some surgeon in Blackrock (presumably already fairly rich) is supposed to have won the Irish Lotto twice quite a while back.

Now that's lucky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭Wossack

Just goes to show it's easier to make money when you have lots :D **** happens he's as entitled to it as anyone else ! I am left wondering why he felt the need to buy a ticket though ?

thats what I was wondering, maybe he bought a couple (of hundred) ?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

No way... what are the odds of winning the lotto twice??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Same as winning it once.

Probability is a whole different kettle of story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

Its true. IIRC he got one of the set of numbers from a shoe box. Heres an even better one though. Some lady won a few mill on the Irish lottery a few years back. She was back in Ireland visiting relatives for a few months. She went back home to the states and...........Won the powerball a year or so later.....ie Dolores Mcnamara Euromillions type of money!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

Terry wrote:
    Same as winning it once.

Probability is a whole different kettle of story.
    The odds of winning each draw are the same alright, play the second time and youve the same chance as winning as the first. But the odds of one person actually winning twice are much much smaller than one person winning once.

A maths guy could probably explain it better than me :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

The odds of winning each draw are the same alright, play the second time and youve the same chance as winning as the first. But the odds of one person actually winning twice are much much smaller than one person winning once.

A maths guy could probably explain it better than me :D

Well I'm not maths guy. But if X represents the chance of winning (1 in whatever). Then you have X chance of winning it one week, and X chance of winning it the next week. However to win it twice your chances are X multiplied by X or X squared. So in conclusion

You have X chance of winning it once or X squared chance of winning it twice, and this ends our maths lesson for today.

I hope nobody corrects me as then i would look really dumb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,931 ✭✭✭patrickc

theres a guy well known to have won the lotto twice from strokestown co roscommon, you pass his house on the way into strokestown from Longford(the house is nicknamed locally the lotto house)

• Advertisement

A maths guy

I assume you mean a mathematician.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

mukki wrote:
    yeah i don't really care either , but i am sure some people will be upset

And those people are more than likely losers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭patrickolee

Well I'm not maths guy. But if X represents the chance of winning (1 in whatever). Then you have X chance of winning it one week, and X chance of winning it the next week. However to win it twice your chances are X multiplied by X or X squared. So in conclusion

You have X chance of winning it once or X squared chance of winning it twice, and this ends our maths lesson for today.

I hope nobody corrects me as then i would look really dumb
    I think it's about right. Except we'd have to divide by the number of times you do it. ie if you do it twice a week for a year divide by 104. So that's roughly one in (8,145,060 * 8,145,060) / 104 = 637,903,869,265 per year if you do one line per draw. Not very likely.

Advertisement