Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moral support for parents of sick children

Options
  • 10-09-2007 3:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭

I was thinking it might be nice to have a thread where parents who have children with ongoing illnesses can offer support to each other. I don't know if this has been done already, but I don't remember seeing anything like this in the last year or so.

As a starter, my nine-month DD has grade 4 bladder reflux. I'd never heard of it before, but at 15 weeks, she had such a bad bladder/kidney infection that we spent a week in hospital. She's had ultrasounds, x-rays and now takes antibiotics every night to prevent infections. In a couple of weeks we go back for a kidney scan where she has to be injected with a radioactive dye so they can make sure her kidneys are still working properly.

This is something we have to live with until she hopefully grows out of it. Since she was diagnosed with it I have learned that it must be common enough b/c I've heard of at least 4 other babes who have something similiar (although not as severe).

Anyone else out there have this or something similiar?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

Wow, I'm surprised no one has responded. I suppose this is why such a thread hasn't existed over the last year...? It's a good thing that no one else has had such experiences with their children :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Love2love

I don't think that many people check out the parenting forum. The magicmum forum website is brilliant for this type of support.

I had this problem with my bladder/kidneys when I was younger also but thankfully I grew out of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Like Love2love, said theres not many visit the parent forum here. Overall (and this is a sweeping generalization on my part), I don't think theres a lot of boards members are parents. In general theres a younger age group on the boards. Who else would have time or the interest in half the stuff up here. More specific forums like magic mum are better suited to parenting issues. Haven't experience with the problem you are having. But I can relate to the experience of bringing babies into hospitals and when they are sick. All I can say is focus on the positives and it helps you though.

I'd say some googling would find some specific info, groups that would be helpful. But as with all things, read everything with a pinch of salt and not every doctor or country treats things the same ways.

http://google.com/answers/threadview?id=458071

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Ayla:
    Maybe try Eumom or Rollercoaster.ie.

Best wishes for your baby's health.

Advertisement