Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Direction for WWE?

• 10-09-2007 3:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭

You know I've been thinking about gimmicks and how I think a lot of WWE's wrestlers gimmicks are stale and trite. So I thought to myself 'what would made a awesome gimmick?' and then it hit me. A Dinosaur man! Get some guy and dress him up as a dinosaur, I mean it can't fail, dinosaurs are cool and dangrous and are renowned for opening a can of 'whoop-ass' on humans from time to time. Also promos would be great with this guy roaring and making dinosaurs sounds without speaking english. Maybe they could have him feud with a guy dressed as a meteor or some****? Also how come there are no ninja gimmicks too? WWE needs to wake up and give the fans what they want! Cyborgs made by vince for the tag division? Sounds good to me.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

Now do people understand how the WWE can get produce crap, and people will still lick it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Stalfos

:D:D:D:D:D
    Best one yet!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,602 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

kyp_durron wrote:
    You know I've been thinking about gimmicks and how I think a lot of WWE's wrestlers gimmicks are stale and trite. So I thought to myself 'what would made a awesome gimmick?' and then it hit me. A Dinosaur man! Get some guy and dress him up as a dinosaur, I mean it can't fail, dinosaurs are cool and dangrous and are renowned for opening a can of 'whoop-ass' on humans from time to time.

Not exactly a dinosaur, but they did try with Mantaur in 1994, he was like a bull come manbeast! The closest thing they could get to a dinosaur I guess.

Needless to say it bombed.
    Also how come there are no ninja gimmicks too? WWE needs to wake up and give the fans what they want!

I'm pretty sure Al Snow would be out for your blood. Neither Avatar or Shinobi got over.
    Cyborgs made by vince for the tag division? Sounds good to me.

And again, Tekno Team 2000 didn't get over either :)
    VR!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭kyp_durron

Not exactly a dinosaur, but they did try with Mantaur in 1994, he was like a bull come manbeast! The closest thing they could get to a dinosaur I guess.

Needless to say it bombed.

Yeah but if he was feuding with a guy dressed up as a meteor that would get the fans emotionally involved on the side of the face dinosaur fighting for all his dead buddies that the evil heel meteor killed. They could have a "crater" match at WM.

I'm pretty sure Al Snow would be out for your blood. Neither Avatar or Shinobi got over.

Ninjas are en vogue right now, they has never been a better time for one.
    And again, Tekno Team 2000 didn't get over either :)
    VR!

Yeah but vince will have behind the creation of the cyborgs in his quest for world domination, but then they like could break their programming with a huge face turn and gang up on vince, man that would be so awesome.

I think it might just work. In any event enough is enough and it's time for a change!

I think you've been reading one too many comic books, Mr Durron.
    However if it's taken on board and it works, i'll eat my workmans boots, and i have a hunch that they're not that tasty!

VR!

• Advertisement

I think you've been reading one too many comic books, Mr Durron.
    However if it's taken on board and it works, i'll eat my workmans boots, and i have a hunch that they're not that tasty!

VR!

I do like my comics. But I think these ideas could work, also an invisible man gimmick, where the invisible man is not really there and his opponent essentially works the match by himself. It would be a great test for the up and coming wrestlers. This invisible character would go on a undefeated streak untill hulk comes back and beats him for the IC belt in a ladder match.

Call me crazy, but this stuff would get over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

Mantaur was so bad! I love on one of the Cornette & Heenan shoot interviews, Cornette is trying to explain how bad Mantaur was and Bobby just has this blank look on his face, priceless!

I think what the OP is looking for is something along the lines of HUSTLE. Check out their roster page here: http://www.hustlehustle.com/free/fighters/list.html?view=all, complete with Mystery Egg, Fire Monster and Super Cyborg. For anyone who was a fan of PRIDE, their main ref is part of the promotion as Private Shimada!

HUSTLE appeals to a good few Japanese people, because some Japanese people seem to lap up anything if it has about five gimmicks attached to it. I'm not so sure it would get over as well in America or elsewhere, so I can't see WWE attempting anything similar. And if they ever did, it just couldn't compare to the all-out wackiness of HUSTLE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

what about a binman, plumber, rooster, a mummy, pig farmer, an ice-hockey player, a shark, a masked magician??? i am sure one of those gimmicks could get over in pro-wrestling if done right; oh wait...........:p

Fozzy wrote:
    Mantaur was so bad! I love on one of the Cornette & Heenan shoot interviews, Cornette is trying to explain how bad Mantaur was and Bobby just has this blank look on his face, priceless!

I think what the OP is looking for is something along the lines of HUSTLE. Check out their roster page here: http://www.hustlehustle.com/free/fighters/list.html?view=all, complete with Mystery Egg, Fire Monster and Super Cyborg. For anyone who was a fan of PRIDE, their main ref is part of the promotion as Private Shimada!

HUSTLE appeals to a good few Japanese people, because some Japanese people seem to lap up anything if it has about five gimmicks attached to it. I'm not so sure it would get over as well in America or elsewhere, so I can't see WWE attempting anything similar. And if they ever did, it just couldn't compare to the all-out wackiness of HUSTLE

HUSTLE is awesome so is Mystery Egg, hate the santa claus ****er tho and the power ranger lads.

Things need to change, I think the WWE could learn a lot from HUSTLE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Wasn't Tori a ninja for a while on Heat back around 2000 or thereabouts? I seem to recall her in a ninja outfit helping Raven to win matches.

Speaking of gimmicks I think the WWE needs to do a bounty hunter gimmick along the lines of Dog the Bounty Hunter. South Park did a great job with it and WWE could make big bucks by doing likewise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

speaking of ninjas, ron reis did a splendid job protraying a 7 foot ninja in WCW :eek:

If a wrestler is talented either on the stick or in the ring, he/she doesn't need a cartoonish gimmick.

Wasn't Tori a ninja for a while on Heat back around 2000 or thereabouts? I seem to recall her in a ninja outfit helping Raven to win matches.

Speaking of gimmicks I think the WWE needs to do a bounty hunter gimmick along the lines of Dog the Bounty Hunter. South Park did a great job with it and WWE could make big bucks by doing likewise.

This guy is right about Tori being a ninja, but is dead wrong with a Dog the Bounty Hunter gimmick! ;)

VR!

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭HorseRadish

They could repackage Snitsky as "Gene the Bounty Hunter". The promos would write themselves :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭Double C

This guy is right about Tori being a ninja, but is dead wrong with a Dog the Bounty Hunter gimmick! ;)

VR!

No, in fact he couldn't be more right!

That would get over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

The thing with Dog the Bounty Hunter is that the guy can pull that gimmick off himself. He literally lives the gimmick. But if some wrestler were to try it, unless they're a very good actor, they'd fall flat on their face with it

Double C wrote:

I dunno, transferring to an animated series is one thing, but what you see on TV doesn't always transfer to Wrestling.

Example - Robocop! Enough said!
    VR!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Fozzy wrote:
    The thing with Dog the Bounty Hunter is that the guy can pull that gimmick off himself. He literally lives the gimmick. But if some wrestler were to try it, unless they're a very good actor, they'd fall flat on their face with it

I dunno, I reckon if James Storm did it in TNA it would be hilarious.

"Believe in Christ bruh". :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

+1 with the storm idea if it invovled Rhino

So it's a no-go with dinosaur man? :(

Advertisement