Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

South park in irish

• 10-09-2007 3:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭

As the title says, tg4 is currently recording south park in irish. Needless to say its going to be hilarious

for example:
    Ooo feach ar mo liathroidi seaclaid sailin. (ooo look at my chocolate salty balls).

Can't feckin wait :D

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Ha ha ha. This is going to be hilarious. Where did you hear about this Vimes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Spongebob was much funnier translated into Irish, the voice actors were just much better IMO.

I've a feeling I'm going to enjoy this very much. Insults in Irish are brilliant!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

This will be interesting :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

JC 2K3 wrote:
    Spongebob was much funnier translated into Irish, the voice actors were just much better IMO.

I've a feeling I'm going to enjoy this very much. Insults in Irish are brilliant!
    You reckon? I've always considered the dubbing to be really bad on this, and other shows. *shrug* It should be interesting at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭Agamemnon

Haha, this should be brilliant! Can't wait to hear what Cartman sounds like as Gaeilge.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭keen

Heard this on Newstalk a while ago, should be a good laugh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

saw a promo for this, basically didn't hear Cartman speak a word of irish as it was a very short promo and i only heard him say the word jew.

it will be interesting to say the least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Karoma wrote:
    You reckon? I've always considered the dubbing to be really bad on this, and other shows. *shrug* It should be interesting at least.
    Well, some dubs on TG4 are admittedly quite bad, and others, while good, don't work because you're too used to the English voices. For me, I was tired of the voice actors in Spongebob and I thought the Irish voice actors seemed to deliver the lines better. As you said yourself, *shrug".

In any case, considering that South Park is intended to seem poorly produced in the first place, it won't really matter if the dubs are terrible(which I'm sure they won't be), in fact, it could add to it. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Cremo wrote:
    saw a promo for this, basically didn't hear Cartman speak a word of irish as it was a very short promo and i only heard him say the word jew.

it will be interesting to say the least.

What's the Irish for jew :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭cance

Giúdach = jew

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

whats the irish for you will respect my authoritah

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

he just said jew in english.

on second thoughts on south park in irish, i don't think it will be all that great.

one of the main reasons i love south park is that whether it's Cartman or midget in a binkini they are all voiced by two guys, you won't get that with the irish one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭Agamemnon

Cremo wrote:
    he just said jew in english.

on second thoughts on south park in irish, i don't think it will be all that great.

one of the main reasons i love south park is that whether it's Cartman or midget in a binkini they are all voiced by two guys, you won't get that with the irish one.

Why not? TG4 will be happy to pay only 2 voice actors to do it rather than many. It'd be sweet if they got Siún Nic Gearailt and Mícheál Ó Muircheartaigh to do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Ha ha ha. This is going to be hilarious. Where did you hear about this Vimes?
    same place as keen. The legend that is moncrief on newstalk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

As the title says, tg4 is currently recording south park in irish. Needless to say its going to be hilarious

for example:
    Ooo feach ar mo liathroidi seaclaid sailin. (ooo look at my chocolate salty balls).

Can't feckin wait :D

Except that the word for balls in Irish is magairle; liathróid(í) refers to balls that generally men kick around on pitches :-)

Expect: "Á, dearc ar mo mhagairle ghoirt seacláide"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

culabula wrote:
    Except that the word for balls in Irish is magairle; liathróid(í) refers to balls that generally men kick around on pitches :-)

Expect: "Á, dearc ar mo mhagairle ghoirt seacláide"
    ah but in the episode he had made chocolate salty balls and was selling them. Those were the balls the song referred to so liathroidi would be correct. I think that joke might be lost in translation :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

would this perhaps be found on youtube?

ah but in the episode he had made chocolate salty balls and was selling them. Those were the balls the song referred to so liathroidi would be correct. I think that joke might be lost in translation :D

Ah, I see. I wasn't familiar with the episode and took it that these were testes that were not just salty but chocolaty. As they often are.

Mo leithscéal, a chara!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

Just wait until all the kids and teenagers start cursing in Irish from quotes they heard in 'South Park as Gaelige'. I reckon it'll get old and annoying pretty quickly.

What's the Irish for, "Oh my God, they killed Kenny! You bastards!", in Irish? Anybody? :D

I wonder will the movie get dubbed into Irish as well. Would love to hear how the likes of "Shut your f**king face, uncle f**ker" or "Fúck! Shít! Cock! Ass! Títties! Boner! Bítch! Muff! Pussy! Cock! Butthole! Barbara Streisand!" sounds in Irish. ;):D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

This is gonna be hilarious. :D can't wait

• Advertisement

Just wait until all the kids and teenagers start cursing in Irish from quotes they heard in 'South Park as Gaelige'. I reckon it'll get old and annoying pretty quickly.

What's the Irish for, "Oh my God, they killed Kenny! You bastards!", in Irish? Anybody? :D

I wonder will the movie get dubbed into Irish as well. Would love to hear how the likes of "Shut your f**king face, uncle f**ker" or "Fúck! Shít! Cock! Ass! Títties! Boner! Bítch! Muff! Pussy! Cock! Butthole! Barbara Streisand!" sounds in Irish. ;):D

"A dhia (mhor na gloire), mharaigh siad Kenny, bastairdi na sul ndubh is na sul ndearg!"

The rest is easy with the exception of that diva you mentioned: Bairbre Streisand, I suppose. In any case may I refer you to an excellent book of swear-words and curses for your delectation, "500 malachtai ort"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

That's great news! It'll be really interesting to say the least and I definitely need to brush up on the aul Gaeilge ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭nonamemark

They will never get Cartmans accent right

nonamemark wrote:
    They will never get Cartmans accent right

They have no need to: they simply render it into Irish, making it funny within our national context. rendering is the name of the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

There is so much potential for this. I hope that it works out well. Irish is full of great slang and curses, but it all depends how they use it in the dubbing.

dudara wrote:
    There is so much potential for this. I hope that it works out well. Irish is full of great slang and curses, but it all depends how they use it in the dubbing.

TG4 has a habit of getting things right, I'd say they won't mess up this opportunity. Bring it on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Dr Lektroluv

This will single-handedly get me back into the Irish language.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Cionnfhaolaidh

Cá bhfuil sé ar fáil? Ní fheicim é ar www.tg4.tv :(

Bígí ag uaslódáil, a dhaoine!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Cionnfhaolaidh

Tá sampla 2FM ar fáil ar an nasc seo: http://www.rte.ie/2fm/thesaturdayshow/rams/2007/southpark.smil (RealPlayer)

Ach tá sé saghas cac :-/

2FM tried to do their own version but it's fvcking ****e. :mad:

The TG4 version will be WAY better, if Sponge Bob as Irish is anything to go by.

• Advertisement
Advertisement