Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband Help - New Netopia Gateway

Options
  • 10-09-2007 3:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39,326 ✭✭✭✭

It seams im a little bit stuck. I have had eircom broadband for the last two years, or more. We had the first model of the netopia gateway, this one was released before eircom started providing wireless service. It has a usb port and a ethernet ports, no wireless
    This wasn't an issue until I bought a laptop for college last year. Despite advertising free wireless broadband packs, eircom wouldn't upgrade the unot for us. They then told us they would upgrade (after we attempted to change provider). And after many phone calls we have finally managed to get them to agree to make good their promise.
    The new unit finally arrived today. This is the current unit eircom offer, silver.
    It has wireless antennas, ethernet ports, but no usb port . My current problem. The new unit will allow me to connect wirelessly from my laptop, but now the desktop unable to connect as it was previously using the usb connection.

If anyone has encountered this issue before, or knows how to fix it. I'd be grateful. I could buy a ethernet port for the desktop, but would rather a short term solution as I plan on replacing the desktop at christmas. Is a usb/ethernet adapter worthwhile, are they any good

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭NullZer0

Mellor wrote:
    It seams im a little bit stuck. I have had eircom broadband for the last two years, or more. We had the first model of the netopia gateway, this one was released before eircom started providing wireless service. It has a usb port and a ethernet ports, no wireless
    This wasn't an issue until I bought a laptop for college last year. Despite advertising free wireless broadband packs, eircom wouldn't upgrade the unot for us. They then told us they would upgrade (after we attempted to change provider). And after many phone calls we have finally managed to get them to agree to make good their promise.
    The new unit finally arrived today. This is the current unit eircom offer, silver.
    It has wireless antennas, ethernet ports, but no usb port . My current problem. The new unit will allow me to connect wirelessly from my laptop, but now the desktop unable to connect as it was previously using the usb connection.

If anyone has encountered this issue before, or knows how to fix it. I'd be grateful. I could buy a ethernet port for the desktop, but would rather a short term solution as I plan on replacing the desktop at christmas. Is a usb/ethernet adapter worthwhile, are they any good

Would you consider getting an Ethernet Card... fairly cheap?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,326 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Mellor wrote:
    As I said, im replacing it soon and would rather more of a quick fix. I may have to go this route. The cards are cheaper than a thought, from about €10 online, with about €12 delivery.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

There is no other solution - buy the card!:rolleyes: 10 euros!!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

dub45 wrote:
    There is no other solution - buy the card!:rolleyes: 10 euros!!!!
    Of course there are other solutions, a ethernet/usb adapter how much as these? I've no problem paying €22 (inc delivery) for a ethernat card, but i'd like to sort it asap, a quick fix from maplins would be prefered

• Advertisement

Mellor wrote:
    Of course there are other solutions, a ethernet/usb adapter how much as these? I've no problem paying €22 (inc delivery) for a ethernat card, but i'd like to sort it asap, a quick fix from maplins would be prefered

I think you have a problem with parting with money! An ethernet card in town if you can manage the bus fare will cost about 15 euros! An ethernet usb card will be dearer I bet - why not go into Maplins and look for yourself?

http://www.komplett.ie/k/search.aspx?q=usb+ethernet

not an ethernet usb card
    an ethernet usb adapter, to put on the ethernet line to allow it to connect through the USB port.

Its not anything to do with the money. I think your being a little sad even suggesting that. It can most likely be done with no addition hardware. Connect the two modems using the second as an access point. looking for help on how to do that.
    If I can't manage it, i'll probably just install the wireless modem, and replace the desktop this week instead.

Mellor wrote:
    not an ethernet usb card
    an ethernet usb adapter, to put on the ethernet line to allow it to connect through the USB port.

Its not anything to do with the money. I think your being a little sad even suggesting that. It can most likely be done with no addition hardware. Connect the two modems using the second as an access point. looking for help on how to do that.
    If I can't manage it, i'll probably just install the wireless modem, and replace the desktop this week instead.

Well if its not a matter of money why not go into town and spend 15 euros on an ethernet card and stop wasting time. You were the one who bullied Eircom into giving you a new router and threatened to go to another isp if you did not get a free wirless router was that not a matter of money?:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Shaner-B

hey since this is a broadband discussion would like to ask a question of my own. i hav been using an eircom wireless connection but we recently bought a second desktop. we intend on using this with an ethernet connection. but when we have an internet connection on one desktop the other has no connection. do i have to ring eircom and buy a second IP address or something?? u can safely assume that i know little about computers!!!:confused:

Shaner-B wrote:
    hey since this is a broadband discussion would like to ask a question of my own. i hav been using an eircom wireless connection but we recently bought a second desktop. we intend on using this with an ethernet connection. but when we have an internet connection on one desktop the other has no connection. do i have to ring eircom and buy a second IP address or something?? u can safely assume that i know little about computers!!!:confused:

You should have started a separate thread on this - firstly you don't have to ring Eircom - the purpose of the wireless router is to share one bb connection either by ethernet cable or by wireless connection.

Could you give more detailed information about your actual set up please. And once again you are not using an 'Eircom wireless connection'. You are using a wireless router/modem to attempt share your connection to the internet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Why is there €12 for delivery???

You can get "white box" basic ethernet cards which do the job just fine in Maplins.

I think they're around €10 or €15 so a good deal if you don't have to travel far to the nearest Maplin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Shaner-B

dub45 wrote:
    You should have started a separate thread on this - firstly you don't have to ring Eircom - the purpose of the wireless router is to share one bb connection either by ethernet cable or by wireless connection.

Could you give more detailed information about your actual set up please. And once again you are not using an 'Eircom wireless connection'. You are using a wireless router/modem to attempt share your connection to the internet.

jesus sorrryyy, i told u i dont have a clue about computers!! basically i hav an eircom modem, and have a wirelsee 3D reach card for my desktop to pick up d wireless signal. i just want to know since we got a second desktop how can i set this up to the same modem via ethernet without taking the internet connection away from my first desktop (basically how can i access the internet from the 2 computers at once???)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Mellor wrote:
    not an ethernet usb card

You're asking for trouble doing that. In effect you are trying to use the original router as a USB ethernet hub by linking it to the new router with a CAT5 patch lead.

Since both routers act as DHCP servers as standard, you will have some fun getting connection to the new router.

Get an Ethernet card. They're cheap, easy to install and solve a lot of problems. USB ethernet adaptors are problematic and don't always work well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Shaner-B wrote:
    jesus sorrryyy, i told u i dont have a clue about computers!! basically i hav an eircom modem, and have a wirelsee 3D reach card for my desktop to pick up d wireless signal. i just want to know since we got a second desktop how can i set this up to the same modem via ethernet without taking the internet connection away from my first desktop (basically how can i access the internet from the 2 computers at once???)

Depends on the router/modem model you have. If it's got both ethernet and wireless access, you can just use a CAT5 patch lead (one should have come with your modem) and plug the second computer into one of the ports on the router.

The Netopia ones that Eircom have been dishing out over the last few years have 4 ethernet ports in the back. If your computer is close enough you can use that. You can also access the router wirelessly, you just need to get another wireless card for the new computer same as the old one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

It would be cheaper and less hassle to get a Network Card than to purchase one of those USB adapter yokes. Maplin sell network cards for around a tenner

Advertisement