Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bike tips

• 10-09-2007 4:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭

I've been running for years but my only involvement in triathlons so far is doing the run part for a relay team. Now I'm mad to do triathlons on my own, and hopefully an Ironman somewhere down the line. I've started swimming and cycling in preperation for next years season but it's the cycling I need help with....or at least what I'll be cycling on.

I'm currently using my big monster of a mountain bike for training which will be no good for racing, but my knowledge of road bikes is limited...very limited, so not sure what to buy.

Any body got any tips on what to look for in a bike? I've been reading various forums and this is a lot more technical than I imagined it would be. Between frames, gears, brakes, wheels, tyres, peddles.....there's a lot to take in.

At the moment this is where I'm at (correct me if I'm wrong):
    • Shimano make good gears but have different standards, including Dura Ace, Ultegra, Tiagra and Sara (which I think is in descending order of quality).
    • Clipless pedals are the way forward, with single strap shoes for quicker transitions.
    • Armadillo and Gatorskin type 'puncture proof' tyres save lots of hassle

And thats about it, apart from seeing many recommendations for Giant and Specialized Allez bikes. I don't want to spend a few grand on a bike but I don't want to get something that I'll be cursing and flogging in to a ditch some Saturday morning when I'm 40kms from home...

Any advice appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 482 ✭✭trinewbie

Clum wrote:
    I've been running for years but my only involvement in triathlons so far is doing the run part for a relay team. Now I'm mad to do triathlons on my own, and hopefully an Ironman somewhere down the line. I've started swimming and cycling in preperation for next years season but it's the cycling I need help with....or at least what I'll be cycling on.

I'm currently using my big monster of a mountain bike for training which will be no good for racing, but my knowledge of road bikes is limited...very limited, so not sure what to buy.

Any body got any tips on what to look for in a bike? I've been reading various forums and this is a lot more technical than I imagined it would be. Between frames, gears, brakes, wheels, tyres, peddles.....there's a lot to take in.

At the moment this is where I'm at (correct me if I'm wrong):
    • Shimano make good gears but have different standards, including Dura Ace, Ultegra, Tiagra and Sara (which I think is in descending order of quality).
    • Clipless pedals are the way forward, with single strap shoes for quicker transitions.
    • Armadillo and Gatorskin type 'puncture proof' tyres save lots of hassle

And thats about it, apart from seeing many recommendations for Giant and Specialized Allez bikes. I don't want to spend a few grand on a bike but I don't want to get something that I'll be cursing and flogging in to a ditch some Saturday morning when I'm 40kms from home...

Any advice appreciated.

Hey man -
    Im no expert but.....

the best bit of advice I could give is based on my own experience and mistake. First things first establish a budget and stick to it - I assume that you will be going for an entry level road bike rather than a all out tri bike?

A basic starter road bike will set you back a minimum of 550, that would have a shimano STI groupset, one step lower than sora...a bike in this price region is the Giant SCR 4.

the ideal starter bike at the moment seems to be the SCR 3, its great value, you should be able to pick up to 07 model for around 650...The main differences between it and the SCR 4 would be a carbon fork, sora/ tiagra groupset and a better wheelset..

Although if you could stretch to it something with a full tiagra groupset something like....

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=20584 would be nice

As regards SPD pedals - they are the only way forward - Although some people choose to use toeclips/straps for shorter sprint tris and duathlons

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Clum

trinewbie wrote:
    I assume that you will be going for an entry level road bike rather than a all out tri bike?

Yeah, I'm not going for the all out tri bike, but may go for something slightly better than entry level. I've heard that most people new to triathlons trade in and upgrade their bikes within 12 months. Is this true? If so why? Is it because starter/entry level bikes are no good? I'm willing to get a decent bike but because I don't know what makes up a decent bike I'm a little lost.

I think I need some sort of a guide to bike components, explaining differences and advantages (eg. carbon vs aluminium...if that's even right). Anybody know any good sites for this? Or any preferences, experiences....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

carbon is a lot kinder on your joints than alu. I've got a full carbon and in Kenmare this year I was very glad of it because the road surface was awful. Having said that, at least one carbon bike cracked and given the state of the Irish roads it is certainly something to consider. You can get bikes with carbon forks and the rest other materials.

I would send a little more on groupset. I hear 105 have come on a lot in the last couple of years but if you're willing to spend a bit on it then I would go for at least ultegra (assuming you're getting a shimano build). D. Ace are the tops but expensive.

Make sure you get the correct size bike. This will affect your comfort and your power on the bike. Google bike fit and you'll get the full tech version about angles and so on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,584 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Hunnymonster have to disagree completley with you :)

A badly built carbon frame is alot kinder to your joints than a badly built alu frame. However a quality alu frame will hold its own up against a quality carbon frame.

I rode Kenmare on a full Alu frame and was as comfortably as can be. No road buzz, no jarring, just complete comfort.

Alot of the issues with comfort come from poorly built frames, cheap contact points, poor bike fit and imho lack of fitness.

I've no idea how Liam managed to finish the bike with a cracked head tube like he had. I know one brand of bikes I'll never touch!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 OllieMac

Hey Clum - Im just back from Chicago - did my first Triathlon over there. I bought decent, slightly above entry level bike - its a Giant Bike. Im not gonna be doing another Triathlon so im looking to sell it - I have all the Tri - Bars and distance / speed computer and all the gear. Let me know if youd like more info or you'd like to take a look at it / try it out - its literally as good as new. Number is 087 206 1670

Cheers,

Ollie

• Advertisement
Advertisement