Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Laptop

• 10-09-2007 5:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭

Hi there, getting a laptop for Christmas this year. The budget is about €700 or €800 but preferably less obviously!

I really don't know that much about computers, all I want is basically one that runs Microsoft Word and all those things for college, etc. I don't need some fancy one for gaming or anything like that.

So, does anyone have any ideas about a good one with no need for any fancy things in my price range?

Thanks very much.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Timans

I hear the Dell Vostro's are nice.

Tbh, you don't need much guiding if you don't want anything fancy. Just recommendations where to get it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

CoolCiaran wrote:
    Hi there, getting a laptop for Christmas this year. The budget is about €700 or €800 but preferably less obviously!

I really don't know that much about computers, all I want is basically one that runs Microsoft Word and all those things for college, etc. I don't need some fancy one for gaming or anything like that.

So, does anyone have any ideas about a good one with no need for any fancy things in my price range?

Thanks very much.

Lower spec MacBook from Apple is an excellent machine which would suit you well. With educational discount it should be about €980 inc VAT.

hc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

CoolCiaran wrote:
    The budget is about €700 or €800 but preferably less obviously!
    hughchal wrote:
    Lower spec MacBook from Apple is an excellent machine which would suit you well. With educational discount it should be about €980

Why waste bandwidth with posts like this? I've warned you before - next time I ban you, it will be permanent.

Maths may not be my strong point, but last time I checked, €980 was more than €800.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Why not buy a Dell laptop? I purchased one for a client recently, about €500. Very good price, incl. delivery and VAT.

Getting a Dell for less then €700 should be easy. :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

A good dell inspiron 6400 with 2GB of ram and 160GB hard drive comes out at around €700. That's pretty good. The hard drive is bigger than the one in my laptop. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭440Hz

tom dunne wrote:
    Why waste bandwidth with posts like this? I've warned you before - next time I ban you, it will be permanent.

Maths may not be my strong point, but last time I checked, €980 was more than €800.

Out of the price range originally given by the OP sure, but I can appreciate the suggestion, the Macbook is a great machine, no harm pointing it out as a possibilty the OP could consider.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Crania

Yeah, thanks for all the suggestions so far. I really know nothing about computers so you are helping me anyway.

I was looking at the Dell website there and I seen the Inspiron 1501. It has 1024MB of memory(is that ram?!) and a 120GB hard-drive for €549. That sounds good to me, and a great price too. Anyone know much about the Dell Inspiron 1501? Bear in mind that I don't need or want a laptop to play games or anything like that so I don't need a huge memory. I just want something easy enough to run with all the programmes like Microsoft Word, etc on it for essays and that.

Also does that particular model enable the use of mobile broadband? I know I'm going a bit off topic here, but could anyone explain mobile braodband in a nutshell to me. I just heard one of my techy friends talking about it seemed very handy as I use the internet a lot and from what he was saying you can basically use this mobile broadband anywhere where you have a mobile phone coverage. I thought this would be very hard for travelling on the bus and that.

Sorry about all my silly questions, lol!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Tis the exact laptop I got and setup fully the other day for a client. Was very pleased with the end result and so was the client. Memory is RAM, correct and you have a good bit along with a nice size hard drive which id imagine you will have a hard time filling! Built in wireless card came in handy for me when setting it up, and found the performance of the laptop very good.

Its ideal for college work. Dont be mistaken, games can be played - its just not the ideal specification for it. It could perform better with a higher speced machine.

Mobile Broadband could mean either of two things;
    1) Broadband offered by your phone provider (O2 or Vodafone) where if your within the right broadband range, you can connect to the internet wireless without wires. Each network has there own range, see the website for more info on prices, speed and coverage. Becoming pretty popular these days.

2) WiFi which does not use your phone provider. It makes use of any open (or closed, if you have access) WiFi connection. The wireless card picks up wireless networks and lets you connect to them.

The difference? Mobile being from your phone provider - they set the price, speed and coverage. They offer wireless broadband with the above, in the above mentioned coverage. You can find out easily the spots to find it.

WiFi makes use of wireless hotspots such as those found in Hotels, some guesthouses and McDonalds. Some cafes have them also. However, your not really ever going to know when you will find a WiFi hotspot without looking for the WiFi signs or regular scanning of the area for a network. Hence, the ones from your phone is a nicer solution for broadband on the move.

The FON movement is one which uses WiFi. You can pay, or if your a FON member sharing your broadband at home - you can get WiFi free. WiFi spots are around the world and you can see area of coverage on their website http://www.fon.com. It kicked of in Ireland not long ago, but again, your phone provider offers better coverage.

Hope that helps. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Crania

Thanks very much for that very informative and helpful post Sully, I really appreciate it.

Does the model I'm talking about allow for WiFi or Mobile Broadband?

I think this is the one I shall be buying, I think Dell should employ you Sully! Very helpful. Thank you again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Jack Sheehan

http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/products/features.aspx/notebooks_better?c=ie&cs=iedhs1&l=en&s=dhs

First one heres nice, my brother and sister are getting one each for college, also i think tesco are doing some nice deals, Id check them out.

• Advertisement
Advertisement