Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quakewars demo now available

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Coming down nicely.
    63% \o/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

this'll be the same as the beta I'd imagine

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Mantel

There's an ATI hotfix for anyone playing this on an ATI card (obviously)

http://support.ati.com/ics/support/default.asp?deptID=894&task=knowledge&questionID=29459

I get an error when starting it up on an X1600, hopefully this hotfix will do the trick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

1st impressions, its a bit mad theres hit going on all over the screen and i have no idea whats going on, i was on digiweb server it plays perfectly runs on high and not an ounce of lag or any game issues. The game is flawless from load times to all the mad **** going on.

But i have no idea whats going on, get MCP fixed bring it forward let it shoot take out shield, fix galways water. Stroggs seem to have more powerful weapons whereas GDF just have more weaker ones.

Will play some more after i figure out how to use C4.

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

Tis excellent :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

I'm not really impressed at the moment. I can t change the video settings , how do you do that?

I'm not really impressed at the moment. I can t change the video settings , how do you do that?

lol 1st thing i asked its hidden in Options/Settings on the top left.

kdjac

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Beta was fun :)

Torrent is uber slow... :/ any good mirror?

**EDIT** Nzone server is maxing my connection :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

On the top, Chris, top left corner.

Menus are hard to navigate, and very unintuitive, I could hardly find the graphics options myself.

As for the game itself....... meh, vehicles handle like crap, I don't like the guns, so I can say I don't like the game, hard to believe it took them so many years to produce this crap.

Thanks guys I eventually found the settings. I would have to agree so far, its not very good. I much prefer the BF games.

• Advertisement

Basically, the map runs like this...

1st. GDF need to build the bridge. This is done by the Engineer class at a small pile of boxes/sticks at the beginning of the bridge slightly to the right. It should be marked on your 3D map.

2nd. The GDF get an MCP which they need to drive over the bridge, through the tunnel and to the outpost. Just follow the road basically. The driver of the MCP will see arrows on the road pointing him in the right direction. Any class can drive the MCP but the most useful is again the Engineer who can repair it. If you drive the MCP off course for more than 30 seconds it gets destroyed and a new one is brought in near the start.

3rd. Hack the shield generator. When your MCP reaches the outpost you then need to hack the Strogg sheild generator so you can fire a missile at the Contamanator building. The generator is located across the river and just infront of the Strogg spawn. Its a fairly conspicious looking tower and should appear on your 3D map. The Cover Ops class is who can hack the generator using the hacking tool. Use the tool at the base of the tower, takes about 60 seconds to hack iirc. This imo is the hardest of the objectives.

4th. Plant the explosives. After you hack the generator an SSM is automatically launched which blows open the front of the Contamination building. You need to plant C4 on the Contaminator which is located near the back of the building inside, its fairly large and Strogg looking. The Soldier class can plant C4. After they're planted defend them from any Strogg who try to disarm them.

The default "use" key is f, use this key to do most things. When an engineer press f to repair or build, or else you can choose the pliers from your weapon selection and use the trigger button to do it. Same for the hacking tool on Covert Ops. As a soldier you need to plant the C4, then use your arming tool to arm it, similar to the pliers or the hacking tool.

So after arming i usually press buttons and nothing happens then i get shot in the back.

kdjac

CyberGhost wrote:
    On the top, Chris, top left corner.

Menus are hard to navigate, and very unintuitive, I could hardly find the graphics options myself.

As for the game itself....... meh, vehicles handle like crap, I don't like the guns, so I can say I don't like the game, hard to believe it took them so many years to produce this crap.
    I would disagree.

Been playing the game for a couple of months and imo its excellent. Far better than the BF series for fun and playability (a series which I was a huge fan of, but got turned off after BF2 became quickyl boring). The main problem with the game is that there is alot going on and alot to learn. As I said I've been playing a couple of months and I'm still learning as I go along.

is there still just the one map with the demo ?

MooseJam wrote:
    is there still just the one map with the demo ?
    Yes, its the same map (Valley) as was with Beta2, with a couple of minor changes. Was a bit annoyed myself when I heard but the game isn't far off release anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

Mantel wrote:
    There's an ATI hotfix for anyone playing this on an ATI card (obviously)

http://support.ati.com/ics/support/default.asp?deptID=894&task=knowledge&questionID=29459

I get an error when starting it up on an X1600, hopefully this hotfix will do the trick.

I wonder if that is still necessary given that ATI released the new 7.9 catalyst drivers today ?

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

I have to say, I think this is just brilliant. Yes, its damn confusing at first but once you get the hang of it its very satisfying.

More enjoyable than any of the BF games in my opinion.

Oh and the new 7.9 ATI drivers are needed - certainly if you have a 2900XT like me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭TheHairyFairy

Repeat after me "Its not BF2, its not BF2...."

In all fairness there it was always going to be compatared with 2142, which it is extreamely similar to and in my oppinion inferior to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

lost interest int his after the beta. It was good but not the revolituon i was expecting. Dunno if ill bother with it now tbh..also online MP is boring the **** out of me lately. 'Oh wow i shot someone! for the millionth time..' I mustve killed more people than arnie, sly, JCVD and every other 80s action star put together at this stage, its starting to wear thin

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭TheHairyFairy

In all fairness there it was always going to be compatared with 2142, which it is extreamely similar to and in my oppinion inferior to.

The comparison is unjust to the max. The game preforms way better than 2142, however its a team game, there is no room for rambos. Some of the small things are great. Join a server playing the map you are on, disconnect, and reconnect to another server playing the same map, you reconnect in seconds. The admin UI is great as well, simple and to the point.

Quite a few TiG etc guys have been beta testing this for a while, and the ammount of time the developers have taken to listen to feed back and discuss the game is simply amazing. I dont know of any other game dev that has done this. Valley however is a tough map, mostly ending in full holds for the Strogg. Some of the other maps in teh full game are great, with the end objective resembling CTF.

Quick 1st impressions .

what , who , when , where , ooooh can I do that ... what happens if I do this .

Loads going on and takes a bit of getting used to , plays like ET.W , so team play is a must ..looks great .....

And on first impression it does remind me of 2142 .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,022 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Graphics dont seem that good, especially while in vehicles?

Anyway It has potential but you need to really stick at it to get the most out of it. I played it for two hours and was still didnt really know what was fully going on?

The comparison is unjust to the max. The game preforms way better than 2142, however its a team game, there is no room for rambos. Some of the small things are great. Join a server playing the map you are on, disconnect, and reconnect to another server playing the same map, you reconnect in seconds. The admin UI is great as well, simple and to the point.

Quite a few TiG etc guys have been beta testing this for a while, and the ammount of time the developers have taken to listen to feed back and discuss the game is simply amazing. I dont know of any other game dev that has done this. Valley however is a tough map, mostly ending in full holds for the Strogg. Some of the other maps in teh full game are great, with the end objective resembling CTF.

How do you mean it performs way better then 2142? I have no problem with the time it takes to join and leave a server in 2142, particularly because I tend to stay in one server for the whole gaming session.

The Admin UI may be great, but the general in game interface is absolutly ****e, it is quite confusing the first time you open the game( see the people saying they had problems trying to find the video settings).

Its good to see the developers taking an interest in what the beta testers think, but that does not really bother me at all.

Hmmm , the more I play it the more I think .....so what , yeah it's a team game , but thats how we always played BF anyway . Yeah the graphics are good but not stretching any boundaries . Maybe I am just not into futuristic games , and then maybe I'll play it some more and decide differently .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭satchmo

Fun enough game, but the bloody mouse smoothing drives me nuts. Why do games insist on having this feature? And yes I've turned it off in Windows and yes I've turned it off in the game and the input is still laggy. CS and AA have absolutely no mouse lag, why can't every game?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

Why are people so concerned about graphics ? Who gives a sh1t what it looks like as long as the team game/playablility is there ? The game is jam packed full of team play, its pointless to run in by yourself guns blazing because you won't get anywhere ! I don't know why people are comparing it to any of the Battlefield series games.

Yeah the vehicles seem crap at first but once you get to know how to actually use them properly in a fight you'll find its more enjoyable, you don't just charge the tank in head on. Keep it back and repaired with mobile engineers, stop infantry trying to sneak up on vital points, take back ever changing spawn points, PLAY AS A TEAM then you'll see how fun it can be ! Take the time to play skirmish which is included in the demo, join the gdf by yourself with one other enemy player and do the objectives, learn the map by yourself !. The whole "I can't be bothered because the beta was rubbish" attitude is just shocking. People never seem to realise it was just a BETA !! It played and operated far better than I expected, and the drastic changes in each release was a nice change in terms of developers listen to the people and not f^cking up the game even more like certain other developers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Grim.

Pyr0 wrote:
    Why are people so concerned about graphics ? Who gives a sh1t what it looks like as long as the team game/playablility is there ? The game is jam packed full of team play, its pointless to run in by yourself guns blazing because you won't get anywhere ! I don't know why people are comparing it to any of the Battlefield series games.

Yeah the vehicles seem crap at first but once you get to know how to actually use them properly in a fight you'll find its more enjoyable, you don't just charge the tank in head on. Keep it back and repaired with mobile engineers, stop infantry trying to sneak up on vital points, take back ever changing spawn points, PLAY AS A TEAM then you'll see how fun it can be ! Take the time to play skirmish which is included in the demo, join the gdf by yourself with one other enemy player and do the objectives, learn the map by yourself !. The whole "I can't be bothered because the beta was rubbish" attitude is just shocking. People never seem to realise it was just a BETA !! It played and operated far better than I expected, and the drastic changes in each release was a nice change in terms of developers listen to the people and not f^cking up the game even more like certain other developers.

QFT!!!!

satchmo wrote:
    Fun enough game, but the bloody mouse smoothing drives me nuts. Why do games insist on having this feature? And yes I've turned it off in Windows and yes I've turned it off in the game and the input is still laggy. CS and AA have absolutely no mouse lag, why can't every game?

yea noticed the mouse lag all right, didn't think it was a feature though, thought it was a problem that would be sorted

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

installed and played a bit last night, offline against bots though so I'll reserve judgement until I play online against at least one person who is as crap as me :)

First impressions though:
    Its fun. probably the most important thing to me in a game.
    Controls are fairly easy to get the hang of (except it took me a while to sort out changing positions in a vehicle!).
    Interface and minimap are hectic and will take some getting used to.
    graphics are good. (XP with a 7900gtx , 4gb ram, E6600). not fantastic but good, I'm happy anyway but not overawed.
    teamplay, cant really comment as it was bots. is everyone as omnipotent and accurate as that online ?

So, from teh hour I played last night i definitely want to give it another go and I certainly had fun. Looking forward to online play.

honestly though, I prefer the BF series but htat could be just a case of familiarity, I'll reserve judgement until I can at least get around a map without having to stop and think :D (I do like the hectic pace but the map feels a bit ... scripted? , armies will clash at *this point*, strogg will come from *here* and gdf will come from *here*. Is this just the nature of the linear objectives or am I just missing out because of the bots? )

Advertisement