Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just to let people know, as there's been a lot of questions about this...

• 10-09-2007 6:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭

I had registered for a 1st year elective module (I'm in 4th year), and got it,
    but heard that the lowest year from which I could take electives from is 3rd year.

So I went to the Arts Programme Office today, and was assured that I could take electives from 1st year (or any other year for that matter).

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭TelePaul

Yep that whole 'one year behind' thing is total bs. You can do anything except a level 0.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

What modules are level 0? Ive never seen one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

I asked last week and was told something different by the Programme Office. They said that not all my electives should be from Stage one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

FAQs—Choosing your elective modules:

I am a first year (Stage 1) and want to choose a Level 3 module as one of my electives. Is this permissible?

Yes. There are no level restrictions for elective modules. However, you should carefully consider the level of difficulty and expected learning outcomes of the module before you enrol to it.

I am a Stage 2 student and want to take a Level 0 module as one of my electives. Is this permissible?

Yes, provided you have not already taken 10 credits of Level 0 modules (10 is the maximum number of Level 0 modules).

I am a Stage 2 (or Stage 3) student and want to take a Level 1 module as one of my electives. Is this permissible?

Yes. There are no level restrictions for elective modules. However, you should keep in mind that you must take at least 100 credits of Level 2 or higher modules and at least 50 credits of Level 3 or higher modules in order to graduate. Thus, if you are on a 3-year programme, the most Level 0 and Level 1 credits you may take are 80.

I am a Stage 3 student and want to take a Level 2 module as one of my electives. Is this permissible?

Yes. There are no level restrictions for elective modules. However, you should keep in mind that you must take least 50 credits of Level 3 or higher modules in order to graduate.

SumGuy wrote:

Yep so say you're in a three year program, your level one electives in first year are 10 credits (and your core are 50), your level one electives in second year are 10, your level one electives in third year are 10 which equals 80.

But you said you're in fourth year so presumably you have taken second/third year electives somewhere?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

so its ok for me as a 3rd arts year to be in information studies 101 as an elective?

ferdi wrote:
    so its ok for me as a 3rd arts year to be in information studies 101 as an elective?

Presumably so if it's worth 5 credits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

This means that I have to take both my electives from Stage 2 or 3 :(
    I could really have done without this.

This means that I have to take both my electives from Stage 2 or 3 :(
    I could really have done without this.

Why, how'd you manage to do 16 stage one modules already and not graduate? How many years you doing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

TelePaul wrote:
    Yep so say you're in a three year program, your level one electives in first year are 10 credits (and your core are 50), your level one electives in second year are 10, your level one electives in third year are 10 which equals 80.

But you said you're in fourth year so presumably you have taken second/third year electives somewhere?

This is the first year I have done under the new system.
    The last three years have been the traditional system.

• Advertisement

SumGuy wrote:
    This is the first year I have done under the new system.
    The last three years have been the traditional system.

Ah right ok.

Advertisement