Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

A few quick test questions

Options
  • 10-09-2007 6:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭

1) On my car one of the main bulbs (on one side) and one side bulb (on the other side) have blown. When demonstrating an understanding of secondary controls, will there be an issue here, considering the test will be conducted when the lights will not be necessary (not incl. break lights, reverse and indicators of course). Should I just replace them?

2) The suspension in my car is fine, but there is a squeak coming from one section (due to worn rubber, I was told by a mechanic), but the car's suspension is fine besides. The only problem is a squeaky suspension sound as I turn a corner. Will this be a problem on the test day. A mechanic has told me that the car is fine and it's merely "a noise", as has my instructor.

3) When I show up (15 mins early) for my test appointment and I enter. All I need to bring is my provisional license, yes?.

4) What is the exact structure of the test? Do I first get asked rules of the road questions? (is this done by someone showing me a list of road signs and I tell them what they mean, or is it the same as the driver theory test, where I sit in front of a touch screen like before). Basically how are the questions asked. Could you give me an example? If I get a question wrong at this stage, will the test continue?

5) When outside with the tester at my car. Do they start with getting me to pop the bonnet and ask me to identify parts (which parts?). Then inside the car what functions do they ask me to perform?

I'm sorry for asking these questions, but all emphasis I find from talking to people is on the actual driving part itself. I am practiced and confident at this stage, but when you do an exam, apart from having knowledge of the actual subject I always feel it's good to know the exact layout of the paper/test beforehand. My instructor is good, but the test in my opinion is based on 3 discrete stages (Rules of road, how car works, driving car). So far my instructor keeps focusing on the latter stage, and I'm getting worried because my test is next week, that I haven't prepared enough for the first 2 stages.

Have I left anything out? Thank you very much, hopefully this will serve other's waiting to do their test also.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

1) Get them replaced, just in case. On my test the tester checked my headlights as well because it was pissing rain and they would be useful in such conditions. Just think about how pissed off you'll be if you get a tester who checks them and then doesn't let you do the test.

2) I wouldn't worry about that as far as the test is concerned.

3) Bring your appointment letter as well. Check that again as it has a checklist on it.

4) After the name, licence number etc bit you'll be shown some road signs on a chart and asked to identify a few which the tester will point to. These are mostly pretty simple, just check your Rules of the Road book beforehand. Then you'll be asked some questions on rules of the road, again these should be reasonably easy. Then out to the car where the tester will check the lights etc. then you go off for a twenty minute-ish drive.

5) When you pop the bonnet you'll be asked to identify three things, these'' be picked from a list including windscreen washer, power steering, break fluid, oil and a couple of others. Your instructor should be able to tell you the others.

Inside you'll be asked to demonstrate secondary controls such as windscreen wipers, indicators, demister, air con (if fitted) etc.

Good luck :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭ve

Thank you very much, I really do appreciate it.

With regards the rules of the road questions that don't involve the tester gesturing towards a particular road sign, how is that structured? For example in the Theory Test you are presented with a question visually and have a list of candidate answers, I assume the actual test doesn't have this luxury? Do I have to memorize the precise answers from the rules of the road.

I also read that you must demonstrate hand signals, is this aways asked/part of the standard test?

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Agree with twosheds,. Hand signals will be asked. They are not looking for verbatim, but an understanding, ie, they will not expect a memorised tract from the rules.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

The rules of the road questions are just verbal face to face before you go out in the car - i.e. 'when would you use your dipped headlights' etc.

The hand signals are done usually when you are stationary either directly before or after your turnabout.

good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,992 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

ve wrote:
    1) On my car one of the main bulbs (on one side) and one side bulb (on the other side) have blown. When demonstrating an understanding of secondary controls, will there be an issue here, considering the test will be conducted when the lights will not be necessary (not incl. break lights, reverse and indicators of course). Should I just replace them?
    It's illegal to drive around with lights that are not working. Regardless of whether you have a test or not, you should have replaced them.
    ve wrote:
    All I need to bring is my provisional license, yes?.
    ...and the vehicle that you intend to be tested in! ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement