Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N25 Bypass - Any Pics?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

One more batch before Pix.

Is there any easier access point to get a decent picture of the bridge? Rather then walking for an hour from B&Q :P

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

All that's left from the way I walked is a cleanup, lining and fitting of the rest of the street lights. When you arrive at the bridge there is a lot of work to be done. Security said it will be 2-3 months and the bridge will be fully completed. Apparently they get a load of visitors but he is the only guard on duty with no car and a lot to cover!

http://pix.ie/sully/album/336622 for all photos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭wellbutty

Is there any easier access point to get a decent picture of the bridge? Rather then walking for an hour from B&Q

I park near the Red Iron, walk towards the end of the lane and then hop over the gate on the left into a field, that way youre not on the building site ;)

Here's a photo from the Bowefield estate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

Some additional pictures of various parts of the Bypass are now viewable from the following site..........

http://www.waterfordcity.ie/n25bypass/gallery.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Bards

Bypass website has now been updated with new photos - at last!!!

http://www.waterfordcity.ie/n25bypass

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭soldering iron

20090315_7038.jpg

20090315_7039.jpg

20090315_7043.jpg

20090315_7046.jpg

Excellent pics :)

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭deiseman21

seen lots of pics of bypass from kilmeaden to bridge but never seen any from north of the river from any other source than bypass website itself. any suggestions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Took a few this morning on a cheapo p&s in a gale!

BypassbridgeA.jpg

BypassbridgeB.jpg

Bards wrote: »
    Bypass website has now been updated with new photos - at last!!!

http://www.waterfordcity.ie/n25bypass

Still fairly out of date by the looks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭Vanhalla

is there only goin to be one tower. would have been better with two

Vanhalla wrote: »

explain better???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Vanhalla wrote: »

Steady on, it's crossing the river Suir in Waterford, not San Francisco Bay!

It only has to cover 400 metres or so. Suspension bridges, which I presume you're referring to, cover distances more like 1,500 to 3,000 metres. The reason they have two towers is to allow them to cover these huge distances, with a span of maybe 1,000-1,400 metres in the middle.

The new bridge in Waterford is a cable-stayed bridge, which only needs one tower, and it's the ideal type for the river it has to cross.

If you don't think it looks cool, go and check it out. I see it every day from the north side of the river, and it gets cooler every day! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Flyer1

I might have a few pics of the Bypass and the new bridge from the air - i'm usually out flying around that direction....

The new bridge is mighty high, dunno if anyone has the stats on it. Even at 1500ft it seems mighty close :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Flyer1 wrote: »
    The new bridge is mighty high, dunno if anyone has the stats on it. Even at 1500ft it seems mighty close :D

112m (367.45ft) above foundation
    95.6m (313.64ft) above the road

Thanks for that. Handy to know those figures.

I might have a few pics of the Bypass and the new bridge from the air - i'm usually out flying around that direction....

from http://www.waterfordcity.ie/n25bypass/facts.html

River Suir Bridge Statistics
    Cable Stay Bridge carrying dual carriageway (D2AP) over the River Suir crossing between Waterford and Kilkenny.

Overall width: 30.60m
    Over length: 465m
    Main span length: 230m (Longest span in 26 counties. Foyle Bridge in Derry NI has a main span of 234m)
    Side span lengths: 40, 70, 90, (230), 35m
    Clearance over MHWS: 14m above MHWS
    Overall Tower height: 112m (above foundation)

Height of Tower above road level: 95.6m
    Tower width at base: 53m
    Total length of cable: 11900m (approx)
    Diameter of cables (Outer sheath): Between 250-400mm comprising between 19 and 73 strands (Approx 550km of strand)
    Tower = 300t
    Volume of concrete: Deck = 2700m3 approx.
    Tower/Substructure = 4000m3 Approx.
    Total = 6700m3

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

Love to see some shots from the air, if you can.

Took the plane up for a spin this morning around the city. Got some nice shots of the bridge and the bypass. ( including the toll plaza :mad: ).

I'm in work tonight, i'll try get the pics up tomorrow.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

Took the plane up for a spin this morning around the city. Got some nice shots of the bridge and the bypass. ( including the toll plaza :mad: ).

I'm in work tonight, i'll try get the pics up tomorrow.

Cool! Is it your own plane or a club thing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

Where is the toll plaza?

A.

alinton wrote: »
    Where is the toll plaza?

A.

Just before the bridge starts. :) Look back and you will see I posted pictures on it a few pages back

Right Folks,

As promised :)

dsc01049medium.th.jpg
    dsc01050medium.th.jpg
    dsc01055medium.th.jpg
    dsc01061medium.th.jpg
    dsc01063medium.th.jpg
    dsc01065medium.th.jpg
    dsc01068medium.th.jpg
    dsc01070medium.th.jpg
    dsc01073medium.th.jpg
    dsc01078medium.th.jpg
    dsc01082medium.th.jpg
    dsc01090medium.th.jpg
    dsc01098medium.th.jpg
    dsc01103medium.th.jpg

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Given eflow and all that why they hell are they building a toll plaza?

Flyer1, great pics
    #

Cabaal wrote: »
    Given eflow and all that why they hell are they building a toll plaza?

Flyer1, great pics
    #

The M50 is the only cashless toll road in Ireland. The cost of admin per year to have this sort of system on any other tolled road in Ireland would not yield a return on investment.

There will be automated express lanes for people who have electronic tags to whizz through along with other methods such as cash etc for the tourist traffic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,028 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Flyer 1 will you upload your pics to SABRE or allow me to do it on your behalf. They are too good (and a historical record in fact) to leave sitting on imageshack.

alinton wrote: »
    Where is the toll plaza?

A.

Don't worry you can use most of the by-pass either side of the river without needing to pay the b*stards! :pac:

mike65 wrote: »
    Don't worry you can use most of the by-pass either side of the river without needing to pay the b*stards! :pac:

Whats this now?

The toll plaza I assume wont be like the old one on the M50 with the booth. There doesn't look like any room to fit such..

I mean that if you are coming from the west and want to cut out Kilmeaden and head to the Industrial est area quickly then you can use the bypass as far as the junction before the tolls and similair on the other side of the river to avoid Ferrybank if looking to reach say Mullinabro

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

dsc01090medium.jpg

Love that picture. Really puts the overall size of the bridge in context. They're all brilliant images though Flyer, well done.

You might want to post those pics over on the Commuting & Transport forum too, I'm sure they'd love to see how it's coming on.

Advertisement