Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hyperlink in Word

Options
  • 10-09-2007 7:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know how to create a hyperlink in Word (97-2003 & 2007) which incorporates a command line. I can do it by adding a command button and shelling the application replete with command line, but that requires the recipient to either have macros enabled, which they should not have, or disabled with notification.

What I have is a document which describes a various functions within a system together with screen recordings, made with camstudio, of the function in use. I want the recipient, if they so desire, to be able to click the approriate 'show me' hyperlink which will then open the camstudio player with the appropriate video and then exit on completion. the hyperlink would be:-
    {full path to camstudio player plus} -x {full path to video} The -x switch is used in Player Plus to open the video, play it and exit on completion.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

That would be a huge security bug if the user was not to get any type of error messages, especially if macros are not trusted.

What happens when you put the path to the camstudio exe in the link?

I put in a path to an exe as a link in a word doc, but I have Office 2003 so the behaviour could be different. I got a warning message when I clicked the link, but was able to open the exe after accepting the message.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

Just put a note at the top of the document to say that macros must be enabled and a short 1.2.3. to explain how to turn them on and a 4.5.6 to turn it back off. Alternatively can you put the whole lot in a network location with sperate files and point to the player files from your document.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I just got it to work using the file:// format of the hyperlink. So, create a batch file containing the command line and point the hyperlink to the batch file.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

Thanks for your suggestions. I've decided to use a simple programme to display the text with command buttons for the 'show me how'. Command buttons will sit on top of a text box and so can be placed within the text. With no borders on the text box or form it just appears as a document. Doing it this way the recipient only has to store the programme and the clips in the same folder anywhere on their computer/network, whereas using a hyperlink requires prior knowledge of the location where the clips are stored.

Advertisement