Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your musical guilty pleasures?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭klaus flouride

I know all the words to the 'Fresh Prince of Bel Air' Theme tune. When I'm p1ssed I bust out the rhymes with great passion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭klaus flouride

mike65 wrote:
    Duran Duran - White Lines :o (Its great!)

Their music is not brilliant, but they had a great bass player; just listen to the rhythym section next time you hear a Duran x 2 song- you'll see what I mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Nichololas

Little Respect by Wheatus. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

mike65 wrote: »
    Why would Peter Gabriel be a guilty pleasure? Brilliant at times, always good.

Mike.

Yes, Peter Gabriel is fab. The SO album is one of the best albums my pile.

Heres my guilty pleasure - WHAM! - Greatest hits. Some great tunes in there. Great to have roaring out of the car window on O Connell street at 3pm.

Not as scary as above, but Im a big fan of Kate Bush as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭keefg

Me thinks I shall have to hang myself in a dark cupboard after admitting to these..........but I suppose thats the price you pay for growing up in the 80's :o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4R97AeM6IE

and......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZcBbltcUw4

Edit: Oh, and Dudess.....Yeah Yeah, I know:o:o:o:o, just leave me alone while I look for some rope.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

my guilty pleases , gotta be kool & the gang or grand master flash and the furious five... not many people know em but there some of the bigger bands around :)

not my normal choice in music but sure is great music so i gotta listen from time to time

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭keefg

S.I.R wrote: »
    gotta be kool & the gang

There is room in my dark cupboard..............bring your own rope, I only have enough for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Backstreet Boys, Take That, N Sync, Spice Girls, Tiffany, Bonnie Tyler, Belinda Carlisle.

Oh and Roxette, especially 'Listen To Your Heart'. Top tune

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

Ruu wrote: »
    I'm partial to some Wang

aww knacker. I bet you are!
    ZZTop's Eliminator album... too much 80's cheesy synths and soulless beats, but underneath there's still a **** hot blues band.

never.. EVER... EVVVERRR rag on the top. How dare you, wtf do you think you are? They can play what ever they want, and it will rock harder than something really hard. The fking cheek of some people.

/me takes out his car keys and twiddles his ZZTOP keychain... THATS RIGHT, I HAVE A REAL ONE!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Blisterman

my guilty pleases , gotta be kool & the gang or grand master flash and the furious five... not many people know em but there some of the bigger bands around :)

Nothing wrong with either of them.

In my opinion anyway. But, then again, I do get a lot of slaggng over my musical taste.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

What was it, Keefg - YouTube has lifted it. Clouds Across The Moon - great track. I refuse to apologise for liking that naff white eighties jazz-funk - Shakatak kicked ass:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upkpZjnckAc
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8k0EytNHQ7E

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Dudess wrote: »
    I refuse to apologise for liking that naff white eighties jazz-funk - Shakatak kicked ass:

Made my afternoon, that. Who'd have thought Peely had mates in Shakatak?

I'll have to raise you five...

Quality. Ah, there was a real love for that kind of stuff in Cork 10 or 12 years ago, which lasted til about 2001. Mór Disco was a weekly event that featured nothing but jazz-funk "joints", the back bar in Sir Henry's for chilled-out "cats", Soulsides in the Half-Moon Club, Telefunken, Jam in The Savoy.
    Happy days.... *sniff*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

anyone heard the german version of aqua s barbie girl now that was a classic lol
    on the topic of guilty pleasures aqua s candyman was an amazin song

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭tech77

Off the top of my head i can think of:
    True. Spandau Ballet
    Since you've been gone. Kelly Clarkson.
    Also have a soft spot for one or two Roxette tracks. Must have been love etc.

Imagination - tacky British "soul" (I use the term loosely - don't want to insult Marvin et al) group from the early 80s. Top notch!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9nXEXWlQ5Q
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RCZM2kRQ1c

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

my guilty pleases grand master flash and the furious five

wtf? Since when is Grandmaster Flash considered a guilty pleasure?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

The feeling. Some cheesy shizzle right thurr :D

Makaveli wrote: »
    wtf? Since when is Grandmaster Flash considered a guilty pleasure?
    The person who posted that is 15 - clearly doesn't realise how important and innovative The Message was/is considered.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

ecoli wrote: »
    anyone heard the german version of aqua s barbie girl now that was a classic lol
    on the topic of guilty pleasures aqua s candyman was an amazin song

This guy wins the thread by proving the 'shouldn't feel guilty for any music' posters wrong.

• Advertisement

Agreed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Bomb Diggy by Another Level is mine. I paticularly like at the start of the video when they pass a sign saying "Dancing Is Punishable By Death"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭tech77

A few more i can think of:
    Jump: Van Halen
    Wishing: Flock of Seagulls
    Don't you want me: The Human League

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭dantes74

mike65 wrote: »
    The wise man prefers Macca to Lennon.

My own "ahem" moments are to be found marked New Romantic!

Not the rubbish stuff naturally but the best by ABC, Visage, Human League etc.

Mike.

how can you say something like that. mccarthney is the master of pop fodder (mull of kintyre, the frog song) whereas lennon continued to write masterpieces after the beatles (imagine, jealous guy, woman)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Korn :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Driver 8

It's such a stereotype to say that Lennon wrote "classics" and McCartney wrote "pop songs". Lennon has been canonised-his last album was full of dull, middle of the road songs he used to tear in McCartney for writing. Lennon wrote just as many dodgy songs as McCartney, and McCartney wrote plenty of great songs post-Beatles (Live and Let Die, Maybe I'm Amazed etc.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Driver 8 wrote: »
    It's such a stereotype to say that Lennon wrote "classics" and McCartney wrote "pop songs". Lennon has been canonised-his last album was full of dull, middle of the road songs he used to tear in McCartney for writing. Lennon wrote just as many dodgy songs as McCartney, and McCartney wrote plenty of great songs post-Beatles (Live and Let Die, Maybe I'm Amazed etc.)

i'd always be more partial to McCartney myself. he's just a bit more adventurous and original than Lennon at times imo. funnily enough though i guess my guilty pleasure would be the frog song/all stand together. it was my favourite song when i was 3. :D

/me wistfully starts rendition

• Registered Users Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭fluke

avril lavigne-on the saturday of O... yeah she really did it for me, but then i just want to do her also!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

Driver 8 wrote: »

this struck me last night...

during the sixties, McCartney is writing songs like 'got to get you into my life, penny lane, helter skelter, lady madonna' and load of other good stuff. The Connection -> he wasn't a vegitarian. Nope - it were all bacon sandwiches and the like 'round chez Macca

come the seventies, and it's for the most part tripe and bilge along the lines of 'my love, goodnight tonight' and the divil and all knows what else. But by this time, he's eating lentils and nut roasts.

Sure, there's a few decent tunes in the 70's but i'm pretty convinced that they're all songs that were more or less ready to be issued as Beatles tracks except the band broke up...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭*Page*

koRn...

Advertisement