Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your musical guilty pleasures?

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭The Novacastrian

back for good: take that
    some J timberlake songs
    Take on me: AHA

god i'm so ashamed to ad mit these

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

In all fairness there are no guilty pleasures for me, can't see how you could feel guilty about your own tastes. I showed one of my mates a video (down m'ere) of one of my favorite band, and he looked at me and said, "do you not be a bit ashamed that you like that" :(... Certainly not!!

If you like the `One Armed Boxer Remix` I don't mind ;)...

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Holmer

Any Roxette, though I'm not too guilty about it, it's sort of post-embarrassing to like stuff like that now isn't it? I do a mean acoustic version of Must Have Been Love when there's a few beers on board. Obviously I'm excluding the songs the bloke sang though, they were brutal. Partial to a bit of Girls Aloud on the quiet too, especially Something Kinda Oooh. Or Car Wash by Christina and Missy Elliot, anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Does Sabrina Salerno - Boys (Summertime Love) count as music pleasure or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭highlydebased

That justin timberlake song....apologise :O

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Hardly guilty as I feel fine about my choices as someone said above ! But I am partial to a bit of Justin Timberlake , Timbaland , the boyband A1 had some cracking singles at the turn of the century , some Girls Aloud singles All good stuff:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 BadfingerBoogie

My guilty pleasure is to say that melody is more important to me than lyrics.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,392 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Dudess wrote: »
    Imagination - tacky British "soul" (I use the term loosely - don't want to insult Marvin et al) group from the early 80s. Top notch!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9nXEXWlQ5Q
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RCZM2kRQ1c

Imagination - now there's a blast from the past. My fav of theirs was In And Out of Love if anyone remembers. The 80's has a lot to answer for and this video is no exception. You have been warned!:o
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dwxYSsS8Js&feature=related

I don't know about guilty pleasures but I used to be mad about a band called Fivestar who were big in the eighties. Haven't heard anything of theirs in years but I shudder to think how dated they have become in the intervening years.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 6,100 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Hermy wrote: »
    Imagination - now there's a blast from the past. My fav of theirs was In And Out of Love if anyone remembers. The 80's has a lot to answer for and this video is no exception. You have been warned!:o
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dwxYSsS8Js&feature=related

I don't know about guilty pleasures but I used to be mad about a band called Fivestar who were big in the eighties. Haven't heard anything of theirs in years but I shudder to think how dated they have become in the intervening years.

People are right in that no-one should feel guilty about the music they listen to, but I do feel funny admitting to liking certain songs or acts which do not tally with the kind of music that people are given to believe that I go for. Rock music, in most of its different forms, would be my first love (as I would tell people), but that does not mean I do not have an appreciation of other genres or specific tunes. I feel "guilty" because I have given them a pre-conceived narrow notion of my music tastes. I don't want to bore them, as I'm doing to you now!

Here are some of my "guilty pleasures", i.e. the ones people would not suspect me of liking:
    - The aforementioned Imagination - "Music and Lights", "It's Just an Illusion" but especially "Bodytalk", particularly the long version.
    - "System Addict" by the aforementioned Fivestar.
    - A no. of songs from the "Private Dancer" album by Tina Turner, especially the title track. Also : Tina's "We Don't Need Another Hero" - my favourite by her.
    - "Human Nature" by Michael Jackson ... haunting tune in my opinion.
    - "Everyone's A Winner" by Hot Chocolate
    - Loads of songs by Abba
    - Shakatak - that 80s jazz-funk combo
    - "Careless Whispers", "Cowboys and Angels" and "Jesus As a Child" by George Micheal
    - "Club Tropicana" by Wham! (the exclamation was always in their name!)
    - "Wild Boys", "A View to a Kill", "Save a Prayer" but especially the first hit "Planet Earth" from Duran Duran
    - A no. of tunes from Spandau Ballet
    - "Longer Than" by Dan Fogelberg
    - "Rhythm is a Dancer" by Snap
    - "Can't Touch That" by MC Hammer
    - "I've Been Thinking of You" by The London Boys
    - "Texas Cowboy" and "Swamp Thing" by The Grid
    - The following from Cliff Richard : "Devil Woman", "We Don't Talk Anymore", "Cary", "Some People" and "All I Ask of You" (with Sarah Brightman)
    - Nessum Dorma as sung by Pavarotti
    - Some classical music, especially Tchiakovsky, Mozart, Prokoiev, and Zoltan Kodaly ("The Hari Janos Suite").

... There are loads more, but that's enough to be going on with!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

System Addict by Five Star is FABTASTIC!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

An old fav of mine from the 70s is GUILTY by the pearls .

I like the new spice girls /girls aloud singles.

If you have virgin on demand you can view all the latest releases.Some good stuff on there and a lot of new artists . http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/dtv/ondemand/index.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Nailz wrote: »
    In all fairness there are no guilty pleasures for me, can't see how you could feel guilty about your own tastes. I showed one of my mates a video (down m'ere) of one of my favorite band, and he looked at me and said, "do you not be a bit ashamed that you like that" :(... Certainly not!!

If you like the `One Armed Boxer Remix` I don't mind ;)...
    The Mondays are certainly not cheesy, although that's one of their weaker songs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Nailz wrote: »

Certainly wouldn't describe the original inside sleeve of 'Bummed' as any kind of pleasure eh :coo

More guilt:

Police - Every little thing she does is magic
    Five Star - All fall down
    Kim Wilde - Kids in America

Advertisement