Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ballybrit area

Options
  • 10-09-2007 8:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 669 ✭✭✭

Hi guys/gals,
    I'm going to be moving up to galway fairly soon and am on the look out for a place in Ballybrit as I will be working in Parkmoore Industrial Estate (east). Just wondering how far is Old Monivea Road from Parkmoore Industrial Estate? That seems to be the only place in Ballybrit that I can find accommodation at the moment. My work hours will be crazy (4am start some mornings) so I'm going to need a place in Ballybrit. Any advice is welcome.

Thanks!
    pid().

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Not far, my advice is to buy a bicycle and some good lights and you'll be there in no time. Distance, I doubt it's over 2km but not realy sure.

There's a few threads here by juanveron45 a page or two back that has good info.
    I'd post a link but there's a few of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 669 ✭✭✭pid()

Thanks a million. A bike is a good idea, will get me one this weekend I'd say. Thanks again for the advice micmclo. Lets hope the accomodation is still available in the morning. :D

Actually, would Knocknacarra be far from Parkmore? I'm looking on google maps but can't really find much info. Sorry for posting again!

pid() wrote:
    Actually, would Knocknacarra be far from Parkmoore?

Don't worry about posting again-we're all here to help :)
    Just keep it all in one thread

Knocknacarra is the on other side of the city.
    And you just turned your easy 2km cycle into a 10km cross city cycle :eek:

micmclo wrote:
    Don't worry about posting again-we're all here to help :)
    Just keep it all in one thread

Knocknacarra is the on other side of the city.
    And you just turned your easy 2km cycle into a 10km cross city cycle :eek:

Haha, screw that so! :p

Thanks again micmclo. :) Is there any other areas or places to rent I should keep an eye on which would be near Parkmore? Daft.ie just has one place in Ballybrit. I was talking to a taxi driver two weeks ago who said that a new apartment block went up not too far from Parkmore. Was wondering if anyone knew anything about that?

• Advertisement

I do know that daft.ie is the best site in Dublin but the Galway Advertiser seems to be the main one for Galway.
    Or least it was when I was in Galway

http://www.galwayadvertiser.ie
    I had a look through the site but couldn't figure out how to see the rental ads. And me with a Computing degree lol

Try yourself and if it's not there then call around to the offices and see if they have a list of rental accomadation.

Nearby areas:
    Renmore :)
    Doughiska :confused:
    Ballybrit :)
    Castlepark :eek:
    Mervue & Ballybane :eek:

And now I'll leave this thread so people who currently live in Galway can give you advice :cool:
    Apologies for all the faces, went a bit mad

micmclo wrote:
    I do know that daft.ie is the best site in Dublin but the Galway Advertiser seems to be the main one for Galway.
    Or least it was when I was in Galway

http://www.galwayadvertiser.ie
    I had a look through the site but couldn't figure out how to see the rental ads. And me with a Computing degree lol

Try yourself and if it's not there then call around to the offices and see if they have a list of rental accomadation.

Nearby areas:
    Renmore :)
    Doughiska :confused:
    Ballybrit :)
    Castlepark :eek:
    Mervue & Ballybane :eek:

And now I'll leave this thread so people who currently live in Galway can give you advice :cool:
    Apologies for all the faces, went a bit mad

Cheers again micmclo! I'd be lost without ya. ;)

Will take note of those places! Saw a few places sharing in Ballybrit, namely Gort Na GCapaill and An Fiodan. I imagine they're not too far away either? Get your ass to the Galway area, I owe you several pints for all your help. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭Dalfiatach

The Galway Advertiser accommodation list is available from their office on Eyre Sq on Wednesdays. Around noon, IIRC. So wander along there on Wednesday and get the fresh list of properties for rent, a day before the print edition comes out.

I work in Parkmore meself, but I have a car...the bus service to Parkmore isn't bad at all, but obviously it won't be running at 4am!

I think you need to strike a nice balance between being within easy cycling distance from work, having some amenities (shops, pubs etc) nearby, not being stuck in shamville, and not being crazy far out of town if ye fancy a night in de pub!

I dunno. Yer kinda restricted to Wellpark, Mervue/Monivea Rd, Ballybrit, Ballybane and Doughiska....and they all have their drawbacks...there's some right scummy estates in your general target area. Renmore is a possibility, cycle up the Dublin Road to GMIT then up the Ballybane Rd, then the old Monivea road to the Parkmore roundabout...

I'd go for Renmore or Wellpark myself, then either try and get a lift from someone on the same shifts as you, change to public-transport-friendly shifts, or buy a car...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭nonamemark

Where will you be working? Celestica or one of those? I'm working on the old monavie rd at the moment and the houses around seem ok

Dalfiatach wrote:
    The Galway Advertiser accommodation list is available from their office on Eyre Sq on Wednesdays. Around noon, IIRC. So wander along there on Wednesday and get the fresh list of properties for rent, a day before the print edition comes out.

I work in Parkmore meself, but I have a car...the bus service to Parkmore isn't bad at all, but obviously it won't be running at 4am!

I think you need to strike a nice balance between being within easy cycling distance from work, having some amenities (shops, pubs etc) nearby, not being stuck in shamville, and not being crazy far out of town if ye fancy a night in de pub!

I dunno. Yer kinda restricted to Wellpark, Mervue/Monivea Rd, Ballybrit, Ballybane and Doughiska....and they all have their drawbacks...there's some right scummy estates in your general target area. Renmore is a possibility, cycle up the Dublin Road to GMIT then up the Ballybane Rd, then the old Monivea road to the Parkmore roundabout...

I'd go for Renmore or Wellpark myself, then either try and get a lift from someone on the same shifts as you, change to public-transport-friendly shifts, or buy a car...

Thanks for the advice mate. It's very much appreciated. Where are the places to avoid then, as in, shamsville. :p I definitely want to avoid those kind of places! I'll have a look for the places you mentioned and see what I can find. It's a bit of a balls that I'm in my last week of work and won't have a chance of being in galway on wednesday to get that paper and have a look about, but sure I will have to survive. I don't start till the 27th so I have a while to look regardless. How far of a cycle would it be from Renmore to Parkmore Industrial Estate? I have to wear a suit so don't fancy getting destroyed in the winter hehe. I plan on getting a car before christmas, once I sort the money out but if I'm paying 100 quid a week on taxis (city center to parkmore when there is no traffic) then I won't be able to save much! I'll try to grab a lift off of someone when I start there, that'd be the handiest. No chance of changing to a more friendly shift I'm afraid. Thanks so much for your help again, honestly I'd be lost without this forum.
    nonamemark wrote:
    Where will you be working? Celestica or one of those? I'm working on the old monavie rd at the moment and the houses around seem ok

I'll be working with Fidelity Investments, they're in the red brick building with all the windows. :) Somewhere on the Monavie Road would seem ideal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭nonamemark

I think I know it, some houses seem to be nice enough around there alright but dont know if theres any houses going though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

pid() wrote:
    I'll be working with Fidelity Investments, they're in the red brick building with all the windows. :) Somewhere on the Monavie Road would seem ideal.
    Go team Plaza! \o/

Viewed an apartment in Ballybrit today. Will know the story tomorrow. Fingers crossed I get it!

Got that apartment anyway. Thanks a million for your help guys and gals. Such a weight taken off my shoulders!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

score

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

Your working with Fidelity ?
    Nobody wears a suit there lol I work there too..
    Are you one of the Gifties ?

Gifties? :o

The Gift Class ? They are the the students taken straight from Uni.
    This years bunch started Yesterday :)

Oooh nope. Hehe. I'm one of the system engineers. :)

Well get back to Work I'm your boss lol
    only messin...only started and already on the boards dossin...you'll fit in fine haha

• Advertisement

Well get back to Work I'm your boss lol
    only messin...only started and already on the boards dossin...you'll fit in fine haha

:eek: hehe. Ah I'm not starting till the 27th. Can't wait now to be honest. Really excited. :)

I wouldn't get that excited :)

Might as well keep my queries in the one thread. :)

I'm looking for a gym in the Ballybrit area. I was thinking there might be one in the Clayton hotel, but their site didn't explain anything about it so I will have to give them a call later on. Could somoene recommend a gym in the Ballybrit area?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Kingfisher Renmore
    There's a gym in Ballybrit industrial estate, Olympic I think.
    http://www.galway.net/galwayguide/showyp.shtml?id=4363

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭renmorescout

I think you will have to go as far as Renmore to find a gym. There is none in the clayton. The nearest ones are The Kingfisher, on Renmore Ave, or the one in Days Hotel on the Dublin Road. There is also one nearer town, The Galway City Gym, but it is on the tuam Road.

Thanks a million for that lads. What is the quality of the gym in Days Hotel like? That's not too far from where I am. :) Is there a pool?

Quick queston lads, is Ballybrit Court far from The Meadows / The Clayton Hotel? I have a viewing there at half seven this evening. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

A little late but;
    As you come from Galway; you have Ballybrit Court then The Meadows then The Clayton. I wouldn't consider them far a apart. They are all on the on the same road which is well lit and busy (as in safe). You would be near Bus Stops and McGreals shop too and Dunnes is just across from the Clayton which is about a half a mile from Ballybrit Court.

pid() wrote: »
    I'm looking for a gym in the Ballybrit area.

Don't mind the gym.
    Go jogging around the racecourse, sure it's right beside you.
    Although the dark evenings will be a disadvantage.
    Loads of people go for a run at lunchtime though

Oh, and it's free :)

• Advertisement

Thanks sgthighway, I decided to go for another house anyway! Cheers though.

micmclo wrote: »
    Don't mind the gym.
    Go jogging around the racecourse, sure it's right beside you.
    Although the dark evenings will be a disadvantage.
    Loads of people go for a run at lunchtime though

Oh, and it's free :)

Brilliant idea! :D I'm moving into one of the houses on that road leading into Parkmore - plus I'm a regular at the Galway races each year so I'm delighted cause it's just out the back of my place. Just under a 10 minute walk from work too.

Thanks again guys.

Advertisement