Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CMS Help!

Options
  • 10-09-2007 8:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭

looking at helping a friend out with a real estate website, very simple just a list of properties, description and photo. been messing around with joomla and drupal although i havent been able to get the hang of them and I am usually quite quick to pick these things up. anyone know some good tutorials or even a better cms to use?

thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭DJB

I've done a lot of property websites and I'd advise you not to use an open source cms. A custom built cms is usually better. I've built my own one that I use for many clients and it handles different property specific features much better for the client such as google map coordinates, photo upload and auto resizing, descriptions, prices, searching, etc.

Maybe do a bit of searching around for an off the shelf real estate cms and use that as the backend but build the frontend from scratch based on the database. The frontends that come with these cms's aren't really great so you might want to build your own, depending on your skillset.

If you need any advice or opinion on a particular one, let me know, as I've played with a lot of them out there.

Rgds, Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Call_me_al wrote:
    looking at helping a friend out with a real estate website, very simple just a list of properties, description and photo. been messing around with joomla and drupal although i havent been able to get the hang of them and I am usually quite quick to pick these things up. anyone know some good tutorials or even a better cms to use?

thanks!
    Joomla & Mosets Hot Property or EZ Realty

What is it about Joomla you are not getting the hang of?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

not really interested in writing my own backend coz its just a favour really and not being paid for it.
    looked at hot property before and ez reality before but i think they may6 be over kill.

problems with joomlainclude not being able to get any links of the front page working and image handling really - i havent even begun to look at most of the functionality for users yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

http://open-realty.org/

loads of add-ons
    loads of templates

Advertisement