Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reducing Road Noise

Options
  • 10-09-2007 8:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

I have just bought a house. It is on a pretty busy road and I was wondering how best to reduce the road noise from the passing traffic. I was considering building a wall with a fence directly behind it and then growing some bushes. The noise isn't that bad but I just want to restrict it as much as possible.

Is there a particular type of wall I should get built? A particular type fence to use? Which bush looks good and absorbs sound?

Help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

do you have double glazing?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭10-10-20

The CoCo's here in Dublin seem to use solid block walls up to a height of approx 7ft to reduce motorway noise.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 sneepmo

Yes I do have double glazing and the noise is pretty deadened within the house. There is quite a bit of noise though in the garden that i wanted to reduce. I was hoping there was a recommended block type that would be superior. Maybe breeze block?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 joycerousselot

Hello, I have exactly the same problem and have been trawling the net for months and months. i'm in France with a house bought 4 years back in a sleep hamlet but since buying they built several little developments and now it's a nightmare!
    Here is the only sensible stuff I found but if you find a solution PLEEEEEZ post it, mine is a bit disjointed but better than nothing.

• Barriers can be formed from earth mounds or "berms" along the road, from high, vertical walls, or from a combination of earth berms and walls. Earth berms have a very natural appearance and are usually attractive. They also reduce noise by approximately 3 dB more than vertical walls of the same height. However, earth berms can require a lot of land to construct, especially if they are very tall. Walls require less space, but they are usually limited to eight meters (25 feet) in height for structural and aesthetic reasons
    Pyracanthus (I have an orange berried variety which I bought two years ago as little more than a twig and now if covers a whole panel - very good winter colour), Euronymous - I have Emerald and white and also green and gold - both look stunning all year round

Architectural Plants near Farnham in Surrey

installing tall, panel fences, trees and thich shrubs and bushes between the house, the source of the noise and any other area where that noise will be reflected back toward the house will reduce the noise level both in the yard and inside the house

juniper or cypress because both grow quickly and can be placed close enough together that they will intertwine over a couple of years

Built a large shed at the side of the property of breezeblock which cut down the noise

or buy some plastic hedgehogs.....attach string ...as cars aproach hide,,,and pull the string the drivers will think there walking and slow down.hope thats helped)

Advertisement