Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transition Year has Ruined Me!

Options
  • 10-09-2007 8:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭

Evening all,

I have just started back into the rigours of education after a year of doing nothing. To be honest, i'm doing all honours and I find all the classwork mostly easy so far, but when I home in the evenings I find that I have no drive at all. Sitting down at my desk is a chore.. I just cant get myself back into the working mindset at all. This evening, I did one honours balance sheet and it didn't balance, and I just cant be arsed.

I'm not a bad student. Got 7 a's and 4 b's in my Junior with no work at all.
    I know i have work to do but I just can't be bothered. Still have Chemistry, Maths and English to do but.. I'm just too lazy after TY!:(

Did any of the rest of yis suffer from this damnation of TY?
    How did ye put a stop to the rot?

Later,
    Christopher

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭lilmissprincess

I'm exactly the same, except in class i'm bad too...
    Maths is a hopeless point even chapter one, revision of JC stuff is killing me...
    Irish may as well be Japanese...
    Surprisingly French is really easy, and we did nothing in that class all last year!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

I'm exactly the same, except in class i'm bad too...
    Maths is a hopeless point even chapter one, revision of JC stuff is killing me...
    Irish may as well be Japanese...
    Surprisingly French is really easy, and we did nothing in that class all last year!

French is a breeze too for me.. i thought it would be the end of me after one lesson we had during TY

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭macroman

I think everyone is in the same boat. There's usually the two week settling down period, two weeks for you to get away with not going your homework and changing options.

Once that's over the usual shíte begins...

Just a thought: Why are you doing the Leaving Cert? Honest question. There's no requirement to do it, it's optional. If you want to go to college, you'll know that it will require work. If you want a decent Leaving Cert, it'll require some work.

So perhaps it's motivation. In TY there was nothing really at the end of the year, but by completing 5th year you'll have covered nearly half (or over half) of what is examinable. Just think, what you're doing in class right now might come up on your Leaving Cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

I found what motivated me in fifth year was watching my friends doing sixth year. I didn't want to end up in a situation of having to do crazy loads of work and being stressed out.

Also, as regards doing homework, I find it's easiest if you just do it as soon as you get in. It takes a bit of determination to actually force yourself to work just after finishing school, but then you can forget about it and enjoy the rest of the evening. : ) I find if I leave it until later, I end up doing something I actually enjoy and then can't tear myself away from it.

• Advertisement

Class is a doddle as i say..

Its at home that i just cant be arsed

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭lemansky

Yea TY didn't do me any favours on that front either, OP, but after a few weeks I was grand again. Near the end of TY I was sick of it and just wanted my holidays, then to get back to real work.

Of course once I started 5th year that changed what with homework and everything, but soon I got used to it and really forgot that I had ever had the freedom of TY. It's only temporary you'll be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

Evening all,

I have just started back into the rigours of education after a year of doing nothing. To be honest, i'm doing all honours and I find all the classwork mostly easy so far, but when I home in the evenings I find that I have no drive at all. Sitting down at my desk is a chore.. I just cant get myself back into the working mindset at all. This evening, I did one honours balance sheet and it didn't balance, and I just cant be arsed.

I'm not a bad student. Got 7 a's and 4 b's in my Junior with no work at all.
    I know i have work to do but I just can't be bothered. Still have Chemistry, Maths and English to do but.. I'm just too lazy after TY!:(

Did any of the rest of yis suffer from this damnation of TY?
    How did ye put a stop to the rot?

Later,
    Christopher
    Give it time, you'll be grand and with grades like yours you have nothing to worry about

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭macroman

Once you settle into it you'll be grand. One good way, is to tune into the iPod and zone out. I'm the same where I can never be arsed to do the homework if I leave it and go out and say "I'll do it when I get home" as it usually never happens.

As PurpleFistMixer said it's worth doing it as soon as you get in, then the rest of the evening is yours. I always have some homework to do in the mornings though - stuff didn't understand etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

Kinda feeling the same way OP... no motivation, just can't be arsed to study/do homework at home since I went into fifth year.

Like just 5 minutes ago I was studying honours Maths, then said f*ck it and came on boards. I guess it'll come back to haunt me if I don't start soon.

• Advertisement

Jello wrote:
    Kinda feeling the same way OP... no motivation, just can't be arsed to study/do homework at home since I went into fifth year.

Like just 5 minutes ago I was studying honours Maths, then said f*ck it and came on boards. I guess it'll come back to haunt me if I don't start soon.

same as me.. the f*ck it.

ill always find an excuse.

Nothing to be done h/w wise tonight really. Most of my people in my classes are gettin results tomorrow.. hence no school for me. i should be studying but im here.. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I'm the same to an extent, it's hard to actually open my bag and start homework but once I drag myself away from Dawson's Creek I find I can usually get through it. It's crap at the weekends though, I can't just go out all day Saturday and Sunday :(

Yeah same came home tonite and did nothing, we had a free english class so thats most of the homework done, and I'll do classics tomorrow night...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Piste wrote:
    It's crap at the weekends though, I can't just go out all day Saturday and Sunday :(
    Just do it early morning saturday, or Friday after school. Though I find by Friday I feel like I deserve a day off.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

Well don't do the panicky sunday night job im accustomed to

I did the panicky Monday morning thing yesterday...oops..got away with it though, did my economics before school started, french letter during break, also maths, and irish during lunch...

Not something I'm going to repeat though...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Jack Sheehan

Same here, I fell asleep in Irish yesterday, though to be fair my Irish teacher talks incessantly about Friends, thats the TV programme.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 mise19

transition year definitely made me pretty lazy when i went into 5th year.

i'd say what motivated me was the fact that the stuff you cover this year is just as important as next year's, if not more! and next year will go so quick that you won't really have time to revise everything!

if you work well in 5th year it takes a lot of pressure off leaving cert year

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

french letter during break
    *giggle* :D

anyway, same thing here.. I actually motivated myself to do it tonight though and it didnt take that long to do like 5 subjects worth of work.. damn no motivation!..

Its after going from looking at 5 subjects of actual work a week(max) to per day.. atleast.. I'm wondering why I'm doing 3 sciences and applied maths now.. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭A racy brainrot

I regret doing TY. Ive finished secondary. The extra year really was just something that i wish i never took. There was such a small group that it was claustrophic, (sp), and then joining a new year.
    Conclusion : I wish i never did it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭jefreywithonef

I'm doing alright homework-wise depsite doing basically nothing last year.

Studying for an Irish test earlier though proved tough. Then I remembered my old habit of learning things by writing them out and testing myself that way. Learned it then. I'll still probably fail the actual test. :(

Would need to quit work 'cause working both days of the weekend proved very stressful last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

TY definitely made me more lazy. Didn't really do much studying in fifth year but once i got into 6th i just started doing some work coz i knew what was coming.

I actually asked the co-ordinator teacher could i repeat TY. Thats how bad I am this yar. I was good at Maths in TY.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 ally_mull

yea I was the very same in at the beginning of 5th but you will get back into the routine eventually. The amount of homework you will get will just increase and increase as the weeks go on and you will gradually ease your way back into it. You cant stall in 5th year believe me Im in 6th now and if I had dossed in 5th I would be completely screwed for this year!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭marshmallow

Just can't get motivated. Got up reasonably early this morning to get my work out of the way and enjoy the evening but it's now half 1 and I've basically nothing done. Was struggling with maths and gave up.

So much on my mind, I just can't concentrate! Then I keep remembering how much work I have to do. Then I resort to boards for ressurance!

I really want to go out but know I can't afford to. Friends have gone to parties/town on Friday nights and been at training at 9am Saturday morning. I can barely do that having got some decent sleep nevermind having gone out the night before! :(

Advertisement