Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Camera Bags

• 10-09-2007 9:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭

What are peoples suggestions for camera bags ? Also views on bags over teh shoulders or rucksack type bags.

As an aside I saw this guy in Dublin yesterday taking a photo of the church on Dawson Street. He was soooooooo laden down with gear and lends and carrying a tripod on his back as well. Prepared for every eventuality (except being mugged!)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 858 ✭✭✭helios

I'll sure you'll find that most people will recommend Lowepro, specifically the Slingshot 200AW over-the-shoulder type bag... they're brilliant, well built, and decently priced

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Herself got me a Lowpro for my birthday to replace a laptop backpack we were using.
    Lowpro is an excellent bag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Lowpro is the way to go. Depending on how much equipment you have - AW200 or AW300.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

Domke F2 - the best of the best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭duffarama

Crumpler for me, but then I like a stylish bag :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭City-Exile

I have the Vertex 200 AW, which I need for going to football games. Other than that though, it's too big. The problem with a bag like that is, you tend to pack everything into it. When you do, it becomes really heavy. That can be a big problem if you're walking around for a few hours.

I think the Slingshot is the way to go, as a walkaround bag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭elven

I have a slingshot (the 100) and it's starting to annoy me now I have a couple of slightly larger lenses. Was looking at the stealth reporter d300 the other day and it looks quite good - the thing about the shoulder bags is that they are usually very deep, as in, front to back - and it makes them stick out from your hip. This one is slightly narrower. Crimplers are also a bit slimmer but are ridiculously expensive, and also have a really big flap that makes it awkward to get at the contents when you're still wearing the thing. the stealth reporter has a sneaky (maybe that's why they called it stealth, after all) zip in the top, which I think may be very handy...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

I'm a man of many bags.

I picked up a new Crumpler Daily XXL over the weekend, and would reccomend it. Carries my 17in widescreen laptop and charger, 5D with grip, 580ex flash, off camera cord, diffuser and omnibounce, 40" reflector, 24-70 or a 70-200 on the camera, the other in one of the pouches, 50 1.4, 105 2.8 macro, notebooks, memory cards, and all the rest. Is the same price as the lowepro equiv. too, and looks a lot cooler & less like a camera bag.

It's also a shoulder bag, so makes it really easy for using on the go - I dislike backpacks for this reason. My Computrekker Plus Aw is great for lugging all my gear around, but it's so heavy even with nothing in it, and means I have to take it off when I want to use it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭janmc

I have one of the Crumpler photo backpacks - it takes all my gear and my laptop, with room for other bits and pieces. I'm the opposite of Fajitas - I find shoulder bags really heavy after a while (though then again I am a 5"3 girl!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

Fajitas! wrote:
    I picked up a new Crumpler Daily XXL over the weekend

Didnt you tell me at the start of the year that crumpler were (and I quote) "gay" ? :D

• Advertisement

I not a fan of the crumpler at all!
    I haven't tried a slingshot on, when it's loaded with gear, but it can't be worse than the crumpler style.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭shepthedog

Anyone here use the Lowepro Compuday Pack?? I need a good bag for college that will hold my camera and laptop comfortably and will be using it everyday.. Dont want anything thats too obviously a camera bag either for the usual reasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Spyral

a cheapish over the shoulder, hell its just a bag and Im not as rich as you geezers to be spending cash on a fancy bag !

As an aside I saw this guy in Dublin yesterday taking a photo of the church on Dawson Street. He was soooooooo laden down with gear and lends and carrying a tripod on his back as well. Prepared for every eventuality (except being mugged!)

it's all for show :P

rymus wrote:
    Didnt you tell me at the start of the year that crumpler were (and I quote) "gay" ? :D

Yes.

But this bag is black.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

so's mine :P

I thought yours was red?

I wasn't exactly sober that night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

Wimps, the lot of you. I have a Computrekker AW, bought specifically as a backpack so that I could be sure the weight was evenly distributed except at those moments where I could inveigle a (very trusted) man to carry it for me. And I dragged it around a Portuguese beach last week.

OP, I did find with a Tamrac Explorer until very recently. I got the Computrekker to carry a 500mm zoom and a laptop. If you have no need of all that, I recommend the Tamrac - it's a backpack or those bloody trendy Slingshot things but they don't do it for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭kcphoto

Got the tamrac adventure recently and sold the lowepro slingshot 100.
    I liked the slingshot at first but then found that lenses easily fell out when trying to retrieve the camera.(admittedly might be the configuration I used but I couldn't find a better way to fit things in). Also was a very tight squeeze for 350d with battery grip.
    Have travelled with the adventure to france and found it excellent. The top compartment can take extra photo gear or non photo gear and the lower part has compartments for camera, lenses etc.
    Have to take it off to get out camera but normally I would take the camera out when I need it and keep it out until I'm done, so not a big deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

Have one camera with 50mm lense on your neck all the time, films in your pockets, cloth to clean the fitler on the lense in other pocket and you won't need any bag :-)
    I just luv simple sollutions.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Phaictan

I have a lowepro slingshot 200 and now have more lens than I have space for in it so looking round for alternatives too but not having much luck. I like the style of the slingshot and the easy swing to get it round the front and hooch the camera out. I was treking with it in Canada a couple of weeks ago and it was the first trip real long trip out with it. I must admit after a week or so I thought it was heavy and not as fast to use as I'd like. I'm gonna try rearranging the internal dividers and see if that helps.

I have an EOS400D with the battery grip and this is a bit of a squash with a mid sized zoom.

I'm not sure if there is another bag that would give the accessibility that the slingshot gives and it certainly has some nice features like the rain jacket and the sown-in lens cloth. I don't think a backpack style bag would suit me. I had a small shoulder Kata bag for while and couldn't get on with it at all.

Overall I would say if you have a small DSLR and a couple of lens then it is a great bag.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Dara Robinson

the laptop section of the Vertex 200 AW, any padding there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

I'm looking at getting the lowepro slingshot 100 at the moment, although I would be tempted to get something that can also fit my laptop in aswell.

the laptop section of the Vertex 200 AW, any padding there?

Yes, there's enough padding.
    Only thing with that bag though, you tend to fill it up & it gets really heavy. I've not done my back any favours.
    Now, I tend to throw a few things into my laptop backpack, as it's smaller & means I only carry what I need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Dara Robinson

Seems good to bring all your equipment with you and then leave it at the Hotel/Hostel/Car or whatever and use the lowepro slingshot and bring the basics

Must look into this more. Thanks for the info

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

http://www.interpunk.com/itemimages/47342.jpg
    this

with foam inserts from my old bag is what i'm doing, i'd like my bag to look as least like a camera bag as possible

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

have just ordered a Lowepro Mini Trekker Classic for €95 incl delivery from these guys up north.

Everywhere else I saw it was for €120 - 130 mark so got myself a bargain :):) Will be filling it up with plenty of new gear in no time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

Are all camera bags, rain proof? I'm looking around but majority of them seem to be backpack types, what would one carry their camera in at a gig for instance ?
    also i never set out for photography so would like a casual style one.

i think these are nice
    http://www.connscameras.com/flat_areaEQLproductsAMPCategoryIDEQL9473_entry.html

bit pricey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭Fionn

my Slingshot was bursting at the seams, i've got a bulky stealth reporter but i've recently got a Think Tank Urban Disguise60 takes the laptop and all,
    very nice. :)

City-Exile wrote: »
    I have the Vertex 200 AW, which I need for going to football games.

This bag has now become surplus to requirements.
    Thinking of selling it, but it's great for storing gear.

• Advertisement

think il get this
    http://www.crumpler.de/?page=details&product_id=PB3000-002&language=EN

it is rain proof according to the official site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

City-Exile wrote: »
    This bag has now become surplus to requirements.
    Thinking of selling it, but it's great for storing gear.

Tried to get that online at a few different places, but for one reason or another, they all let me down. Let it be known if you decide to sell it.

Am not a fan of my Slingshot 300.

whyulittle wrote: »
    Tried to get that online at a few different places, but for one reason or another, they all let me down. Let it be known if you decide to sell it.

It has touched the soil of almost every eircom LoI Premier League ground, as well as Croke Park & the RDS. :)

Is it waterproof? You bet your arse it is, thankfully! ;)

Any problems closing the bag with the Aquatech eye-piece on the camera CE?

whyulittle wrote: »
    Any problems closing the bag with the Aquatech eye-piece on the camera CE?

Why would there be?
    The bag is massive & you can move the dividers around to suit your needs.
    The only drawback is you'll keep buying more gear, just to fill it. :D

With my Mini Trekker, if I was to have the eyepiece on the camera with the lens attached as well, the back of the camera would be flush with the inside of the bag, so with the size of the eyepiece, it would be getting caught up in the zip.

• Advertisement

This bag is big enough to cater for a 1D MkIII with a 300mm f/2.8 attached (hood turned back), including Aquatech eyepiece.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

Hey

Have a look too at Tamrac. Bought myself a Velocity 5X yesterday from Camera Exchange on Trinity Street. Compact and good enough for basic kits plus an extra lens and flash.

The shop seems to have a couple of other models and brand too.

Marty

thanks again mart, i seem to be following ur purchase footsteps ;)
    how much was that ? link i posted above is 50 euros in conns

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

i'm not sure if i saw crumpler there but they have the lowepro, naneu and tamrac stuff. mine is 60 euros, maybe cheaper buying on-line or somewhere but i desperately need a bag and want to go out to take pics!

the other item which i checked there was the 67mm Hoya UV filter almost 50 euros! that's mad! i might go to conn and gunn tomorrow afternoon for the filters.

marty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭GristlyEnd

I recently picked up the lowepro fastpack 250 as the slingshot 200 was killing my shoulder. Much happier with the new setup and it will easily take a d300 with a 70-200 lens attached and room for 3 more lenses. You can also fit a laptop. A great bag.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭nilhg

DarrenG wrote: »
    I recently picked up the lowepro fastpack 250 as the slingshot 200 was killing my shoulder. Much happier with the new setup and it will easily take a d300 with a 70-200 lens attached and room for 3 more lenses. You can also fit a laptop. A great bag.

Is it compact enough to be carry on luggage on a plane?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 werewolf

What do you guys think about billingham bags, are they worth spending money on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭GristlyEnd

nilhg wrote: »
    Is it compact enough to be carry on luggage on a plane?

Yes, it's not much bigger than the slingshot 300. It's about the same size as the nature trekker but not as bulky.

couldnt find ones to fit my purposes anywhere. Didnt go gunns, too far out.
    Bought nikon one in the camera shop in grafton street for 25 euros [reduced from 50 euros], they were selling filters for 30 where as camera exchange had 58mm one for only 12 euros i think.
    got lcd protective cover for 10 euros [grafton street shop had it for 12]

service everywhere was pretty low tier.

attachment.php?attachmentid=4588&stc=1&d=1124812146

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Have a Tamrac Adventure 3 Messenger - only have a Bridge camera, so not loads of lenses to cart around, but it carries my camera, filters, batteries, cards & cleaning kit no problem and appears to be of decent quality too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭Psychobiker

I have a Long Schlong.

It's a Crumpler bag, and happily fits my 'on the move' rig of 400D, 70-200, 17-50 and 430EX, cards and spare batteries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,944 ✭✭✭JDxtra

The slingshots look good. My only concern would be are they too easy to open...? Looking at the video online (link on page below) I could imagine somebody nabbing my camera super quickly while it was on my back.

http://products.lowepro.com/product/SlingShot-100-AW,2034,4.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭djmike

Someone shoud break it to Crumpler that their hip, tongue-in-cheek branding is in fact very, very sad.
    The Pretty Boy Maxi comes in four different colors and is exactly the same as The Pretty Boy Mini except it´s way bigger, has internal dividers and looks totally different.

You can get The Pretty Boy Maxi in five different sizes M, L, XL, XXL and XXXL. We call these American sizes because these are the exact same sizes that Americans come in.

I do like their bags tho.

You weren't kidding about the size of the Vertex 200 CE, it's bleeding massive! I could squeeze my Mini Trekker inside of it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Dundhoone

I have a rover AW2, its a grand backpack, comfy and all. Its too big though - and im sick of lugging around all my stuff on the off chance I'll need it.

So im in the market for something that just holds my camera with a mid sized lens and thats about all.

• Advertisement
Advertisement