Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rainwater harvesting drains

Options
  • 10-09-2007 9:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭

I need to put in some drains to collect water from my roof. I have a few downpipes around the house and I plan on linking them all together and routing them to a soak pit.

At some point I may replace the soak pit with a tank to collect the water and pump it up to the storage tank in the attic. I'm wondering whether it is advisable to have traps at the base of the downpipes for rainwater harvesting.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Yes, you need a trap, but I think you can get away with one.
    Here's a vortex filter...
    http://www.rainharvesting.co.uk/pages/systems/domestic.html

And here's a basic mesh filter...
    http://www.freerain.co.uk/domestic-rainwater-harvesting-systems.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

tribesman wrote:
    I need to put in some drains to collect water from my roof. I have a few downpipes around the house and I plan on linking them all together and routing them to a soak pit.

At some point I may replace the soak pit with a tank to collect the water and pump it up to the storage tank in the attic. [Unless u have serious UV and other filtration, it is not a very good idea to be putting the RW into the wash hand basins etc: brushing teath with RW can be a bit tricky health wise: the more normal system is to have the RW used for the hot water as well as dishwashers/washing machines and toilets but not wash hand basins ] I'm wondering whether it is advisable to have traps at the base of the downpipes for rainwater harvesting.
    HTH

Advertisement