Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple recipe favourites

• 10-09-2007 9:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,441 ✭✭✭✭

I bought some cooking apples the other day with the intention of making an apple pie.

However, as I'm on holidays I've decided that's not adventurous enough and would like to try something new for a change of pace.

So, does any one have a apple recipe (main course or dessert) that they can recommend to try - except apple pie!

I was looking at Apple cheesecake recipes on allrecipe but they have weird American processed foods on there that aren't available here so that was a non starter.
    I really don't like preprepared stuff, cheese is as preprepared as I go, unless i've cooked it, its not the same for me!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

I presume apple crumble is too normal too? I do have a lovely recipe for a Danish apple cake. I need to find out the exact amounts though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,441 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I presume apple crumble is too normal too? I do have a lovely recipe for a Danish apple cake. I need to find out the exact amounts though.

Apple crumble sounds lovely - haven't had that in ages!
    It doesn't have to be anything mad, just not apple pie which I've made loads of times.

Danish apple cake sounds nice too, do please share both recipies.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

For a really nice crumble topping;
    6oz flour, 4oz butter, 4oz porridge oats, 4oz brown sugar
    Rub in butter and flour then stir in the rest. Halve these amounts if you're making a little one.

If you're tired of apple crumble/pie filling, try stewing your apple with sultanas and brown sugar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I make single serve apple crumble in a non stick frying pan on the hob.

Make up a topping, the one above sounds good. I rub it up and then fry it gently in the pan until golden brown, then dump out the crumble into a bowl. Now cut the apples into chunks or slices (I use eating apples as they already have the sugar and do not go too mushy). I fry them off in a little oil, slices are easier to get evenly cooked since you can turn them just once. When soft I put the topping back on.

I make my apple crumble with the above crumble recipe minus the oats (much too healthy in my opinion)and I'm afraid I do it by feel, till it looks like the right sort of crumbs.

Stew the apples a bit then chuck on crumble topping (adding cinnamon and maybe a couple of cloves, though watch out for these later when eating) bung in a hot oven for about 20 mins, eat with whipped cream (it melts so nicely).

Apple cake I have to do a bit of research on as it's in a handwritten cookbook which has no order to it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I serve apple crumble with Custard Cream - stir 1 part whipped cream into 2 parts ready-made custard. Yum

Crumble with custard FTW!!

Yes, it is a king amonst apple recipies, thanks all, nummyness resulted from your posts here :D

BTW, I'm maybe few pounds heavier after these hols..ohh well...no pain no gain and pain is so close to pleasure..thats how it works right?

Longfield wrote:
    BTW, I'm maybe few pounds heavier after these hols..ohh well...no pain no gain and pain is so close to pleasure..thats how it works right?

Exactly :p

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Scoobydoobydoo

My son had apple creme brulee recently and said it was delicious. I don't have a recipe but you could look it up if you like the idea.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Stuffed baked apples.

Wash and core the apples and stuff with a mixture of either mince meat or
    rasians, cinnamon, nutmeg, honey/golden syrup warp in tin foil and bake.

serve with custard or cream.

Update on the AWOL apple cake recipe. Someone has moved the homemade recipe book, so this weekend will be dedicated to searching for it. (It also contains the recipe for the nicest layer cake ever)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭dereko1969

i know this is an apple pie recipe but it sounds great! it's a nigel slater recipe and he does like his desserts!
    http://observer.guardian.co.uk/magazine/story/0,,1926012,00.html

Advertisement