Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

best pub in carlow?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭eddiehead

ShayK1 wrote: »
    ahhhahahah

Eddie G i'm guessing??

Bingo ;),

So....Hox for president? Ya with me?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

eddiehead wrote: »
    Bingo ;),

So....Hox for president? Ya with me?:D

absolutely!! 100%

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭steve66

Mylow wrote: »
    Over 20 years since I lived in Carlow...place I remember on Brown St. was Maggie Bolgers. I was in Castle Tavern about 3 or 4 years ago.....still same crowd in there. Wouldn't know where to go these days.... Dinn Ri wouldn't be my cup of tea. Haven't been out in Carlow for 2 or 3 years now.

I recall a certain Sergant used to drink in Stone Haven 20+ years ago...it was older crowd it Stone Haven, my dad used to drink in there and Jimmy Kings which is long gone.
    I used to work in Jimmy King's. Big Alfie King used te drink in there and have a chat with me. That was different than the time, Alfie and a friend of his threatened to throw a friend and meself into the Burrin. Gawd. those were the days.
    Jimmy was very fastidious. He'd take yer ear off if ye were cleaning up, and didn't put the right ashtray back on the right table.
    They don't make em like that anymore
    Sorry, have te stop here. My eyes are getting wet. I think I'm coming down with something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 ashman007

I have taken a look at the barrow pub in carlow with a posability of taking it over. What do the locals think of the barrow when it was open. It looks like a nice place and i would plan to revamp the function room for private hire and also live bands.

I hear the attached night club did good business so what does carlow make of the barrow

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

ashman007 wrote: »
    I have taken a look at the barrow pub in carlow with a posability of taking it over. What do the locals think of the barrow when it was open. It looks like a nice place and i would plan to revamp the function room for private hire and also live bands.

I hear the attached night club did good business so what does carlow make of the barrow

Cheers

If you were ever to listen to only one piece of advice in your life then this is it. Stay as far away as possible from that place unless you are going to drink in it or buy it outright. There has been 5 lease owners there in 3 years and everyone failed because the amount of money the owners wanted each month was far too much. This is 100% fact as i have worked there on and off for longer than i can remember. I thought of taking over myself a couple of years back and the only way i would have made any money from it was if i had bought the place outright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭tombull82

super-rush wrote: »
    If you were ever to listen to only one piece of advice in your life then this is it. Stay as far away as possible from that place unless you are going to drink in it or buy it outright. There has been 5 lease owners there in 3 years and everyone failed because the amount of money the owners wanted each month was far too much. This is 100% fact as i have worked there on and off for longer than i can remember. I thought of taking over myself a couple of years back and the only way i would have made any money from it was if i had bought the place outright.

+1 (without the working in it part)

Where's The Barrow Pub?

Was looking at the barrow pub with a view to taking it over and it looks and feels like a half decent place and i thought yeah this could do well especially with the night club beside it....................But

In this thread nobody has mentioned it once whether it was a good spot in the past leaving me thinking........mmmmmm should or should not??

Let me know what you think

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭DANNY22XX

Been there a a lot nice place,,just dont follow the rest of the pubs,,the last few owners had entertainment but it was same bands as what was in the town people kinda get bored with the same acts they can see in another pub another night .

Pm me if you want a heads up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

Where is the Barrow pub? Can't think of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭DANNY22XX

were devraux use to be beside the temple

Oh so that's what it's called these days...

Was looking at the barrow pub with a view to taking it over and it looks and feels like a half decent place and i thought yeah this could do well especially with the night club beside it....................But

In this thread nobody has mentioned it once whether it was a good spot in the past leaving me thinking........mmmmmm should or should not??

Let me know what you think

This is my personal opinion of the place.

The Temple - Played there countless times only drank in it twice, once was when it was called The Edge and thats not today or yesterday. Its full of people who are either barred from The Foundry or hate The Foundry or barred from everywhere else in the town. Your night depends on how well the security do their job on the night.

The Barrow - Used to be the hen party venue but now Saints & Sinners cater for them. Put some regular entertainment in there and the place will be packed. Its really that simple, no entertainment no crowd. It does however attract a better sort of crowd, mainly older.

Level 1 - Great place for a party and The Midnight Club on Sundays has been packing them in forever.

The Underground - Was home to the rockers in Carlow and IMO it should still be either that or a lap dancing club. Crap mobile phone signals though and those stairs are a nightmare.

Saints and Sinners used to be the place to be years back. Always had a DJ there Fri, Sat & Sun(usually me:D) and was always packed to the roof.

Overall the entire place used to be a great spot but with new owners all the time and not having a great/regular entertainment programme, in the last 5 years or so it has gone downhill entirely.

The complex as a hole has a bad name for the type of clientele that drinks there..(are let in) I've drank in it a few times but never really by my choice, only if meeting someone or if it was raining very heavy as we passed kind of thing.. this has gone on over the last few owners and so has made it stick so would be very hard to change its rep.. you could say that you are going to open with strict rules and admittance but this was also done and eventually owners found it so hard (cash flow I assume) they seem to just give up and start letting anybody in again. My 2 cents.. But as Super Rush says. If you could manage to bring in a decent type of entertainment schedule then maybe it could be successful..

How about just stick in a DJ and sell bottles and cans.... there is no can bars in town anymore.:(.
    And selling foreign drink you could sell cheep and cater for people that don't want to go out on the town anymore due to price etc.

The only reason why Mr McLoughlin has done so well with Dinn Ri and The Foundry is because he is consistent with entertainment. It might be sh1te entertainment most of the time but its always there.

Thanks for the feedback guys, sadly its all bad feedback. Not what i wanted to hear but anyway......

It looks like managed well it would be a good spot i am in the market for a nice place where the family can go on a sunday for nice lunch etc and was also hoping to corner the market for live music and different theme night for the function room.

The underground pub could have been used for student nights but it seems i wont get that.

If the night club has been known for patrons who dont get into the foundry or other places well its always will have that brand of client

I do not want to be refusing cash either but i have been in the hospitality business for over 12 years now and a friendly pub atmosphere is what i am aming at

Thanks for the feedback guys, sadly its all bad feedback. Not what i wanted to hear but anyway......

It looks like managed well it would be a good spot i am in the market for a nice place where the family can go on a sunday for nice lunch etc and was also hoping to corner the market for live music and different theme night for the function room.

The underground pub could have been used for student nights but it seems i wont get that.

If the night club has been known for patrons who dont get into the foundry or other places well its always will have that brand of client

I do not want to be refusing cash either but i have been in the hospitality business for over 12 years now and a friendly pub atmosphere is what i am aming at

Yeah sorry about that but your are best off going into somewhere with your eye's wide open..

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭random.stranger

Hi all,
    could anybody recommend a pub in carlow town that has a nice atmosphere & isn't too loud/crowded? Suggestions for a nice little restaurant would also be appreciated.
    Thanks.
    rs

for what night of the week and does it have to be Carlow town or would you go out of town a bit?

hi ShayK1
    saturday night, it would preferably be in town.

• Advertisement

I'm gonna suggest Le Treks, not from personal experience but just from reading boards.ie

then afterwards The Barracks is across the street which isn't usually uncomfortably full. Plenty of seats and 3 bars to choose from. The main bar, one upstairs and one in the smoking area.

If that doesn't suit, the Med bar is just down the road too. Its smaller and busier and opens later.

Great, thanks ShayK1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

Little Venice, in Haymerket is prob the best place in town for food imo. Then the med or barracks for beers after.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭foundry

Best pub in town is the med bar, expensive but classy!! but its not the best place to get full in!!

Lev's 2nd 3 euro drinks mon-thurs nite

3rd Tullys

LAST Scraggs

Italian connection for food!! NOM NOM NOM

foundry wrote: »
    Best pub in town is the med bar, expensive but classy!! but its not the best place to get full in!!

Nice pub but the pints are MUCK!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭iamhunted

I still think the underground is the best venue in Carlow for live bands - in a real, genuinely suitable places for bands to play. Its a pity it'll never be used for that (as far as I can see anyway).

We ran gigs in there for over 2 years and though people rarely turned up, the bands themselves - like fight like apes, delorentos, ham sandwich - used to love playing there regardless.

iamhunted wrote: »
    I still think the underground is the best venue in Carlow for live bands - in a real, genuinely suitable places for bands to play. Its a pity it'll never be used for that (as far as I can see anyway).

We ran gigs in there for over 2 years and though people rarely turned up, the bands themselves - like fight like apes, delorentos, ham sandwich - used to love playing there regardless.

Saw Future Kings of Spain there. Good gig, pity there's nothing like that these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

foundry wrote: »

Lev's 2nd 3 euro drinks mon-thurs nite

3rd Tullys

LAST Scraggs

Italian connection for food!! NOM NOM NOM

med bar is usually full of posers

cashback wrote: »
    Saw Future Kings of Spain there. Good gig, pity there's nothing like that these days.

the boys were giving out to me about the poster for that as I had 'the future kings of spain' rather than 'future kings of spain'. Well, they werent really giving out - more of a slagging than anything else. We had David Kitt (he was crap and blew the PA), the flaws and a few other bands in there too.

It is a pity those kind of gigs dont go on anymore, but if theres no-one in the town willing to support such gigs ... or if more people arent willing (youll remember the fkos gig wasnt exactly packed in any way shape or form) to check out such gigs, then they just arent worth the hassle of putting on.

• Advertisement

med bar is usually full of posers

I hate the med bar. too packed, music is crap and it's full of older people trying to be young. Theres no harm in being old - I am for example - but trying to pretend you're cooler than you are? that doesnt work. Maybe that isnt really what the Med is like, but any time I get dragged in there, thats the impression I get.

Advertisement