Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

best pub in carlow?

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭doughef

fair play to ye!

saints and sinners? where is that??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

Its beside Devereaux's or The Temple or whatever the Fu*k its called these days. It kinda looks like its part of the same complex.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭DANNY22XX

next door to Cafe Roma

• Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭mirror mirror

At a beard shave charity do in Ardattin recently ,yer man who used own maggie bolgers bought the pub there .Great crowd turnout but the bar service was atrocious,owner themselves were as unwelcoming as god knows what.Lot of people left after getting fed up waiting to be served.No toilet roll in womens loos..with the large turnout there ,not even a cocktail sausage to be seen.From what i gather next time a charity do is being organised ,this place is not going to be asked to host.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭doughef

Not surprised..

Had dealings with them when they owned a pub in Carlow town..Wont say too much but not nice to deal with.

And this guy was/is the head of the vintners association..???

.an absolute joke

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Nead21

Saw yesterday that Leverette's had reopened again under new management. It's now called Flannery's and there's a side door with name Coppers!!...with those names i would imagine there are trying to attract a student crowd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

Nead21 wrote: »
    Saw yesterday that Leverette's had reopened again under new management. It's now called Flannery's and there's a side door with name Coppers!!...with those names i would imagine there are trying to attract a student crowd.

It'll be closed again by end of summer I'd say. The Temple has the student crowd now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,952 ✭✭✭duffman13

Yeah Leverettes have been sending me invites on Facebook, cant see it being that busy, they are charging €5 in and every other pub is free and the temple/foundry is only €3.50.

The drink promos are all identical to O'Loughlins, bit of a joke really

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Ardattin

At a beard shave charity do in Ardattin recently ,yer man who used own maggie bolgers bought the pub there .Great crowd turnout but the bar service was atrocious,owner themselves were as unwelcoming as god knows what.Lot of people left after getting fed up waiting to be served.No toilet roll in womens loos..with the large turnout there ,not even a cocktail sausage to be seen.From what i gather next time a charity do is being organised ,this place is not going to be asked to host.

Hi Mirror Mirror,

Unfortunately on the night the turnout was well over what we were expecting and staffing levels were insufficient. We apologize to any persons who experienced extended waiting periods for service.

Med Bar is now in the top 5 pubs in the country, according to ratemypub.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

ottostreet wrote: »
    Med Bar is now in the top 5 pubs in the country, according to ratemypub.ie

Thats mad considering its probably the dearest pint in the town.. :eek:

Probably is, but I don't think rating is based completely on price.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭tom traubert

When The Med opened I was disgusted; for no other reason than I was very fond of Monday nights in the previous pub on the site, The Old House.

Never been a fan of The Med, but that being said I've been there sporadically over the years, meeting others at a party or gathering etc etc.

Despite the above I'll also say this. Anytime I've been there the service has been razor sharp and the beer quality excellent so fair play to them.

Any truth in the rumour about The Barracks closing up??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Nead21

Rumour from where?

Any truth in the rumour about The Barracks closing up??
    Nead21 wrote: »
    Rumour from where?

There is truth, but I can't say sources. It's not certain yet though apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭dabestman1

doubt the barracks will close. saying that i was in there 2 saturdays ago at 4-5 o'clock and i was the only one there.

I maintain that Carlow has at least one or two pubs too many. Leveretts was the one under pressure this time last year, but instead of closing, they invested more money...it doesn't seem to have worked. The refurbished back bar is rarely open, and I reckon Leveretts would have closed if it hadnt been part of a group of pubs rather than a standalone venue.

I like the Barracks a lot, but I can't help but think that all their promotions and attempts at different things over the last few months have been an attempt to stave off the ineveitable. A great looking bar, thats lacking something that other bars seem to have. I hope it doesn't close, but realistically, I think it will.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

I maintain that Carlow has at least one or two pubs too many. Leveretts was the one under pressure this time last year, but instead of closing, they invested more money...it doesn't seem to have worked. The refurbished back bar is rarely open, and I reckon Leveretts would have closed if it hadnt been part of a group of pubs rather than a standalone venue.

Tbh they shot themsleves in the foot by claiming that they were the "official" headquarters of the student union and of rag week. Once the students stopped going in there the place went down hill and never cam back. Plus nearly every week you went in ther it was different. One of the pubs in that group has closed again and is available for lease. Think its the 4th or 5th time in two years its closed down and the one in Abbeyleix has died a death.
    I like the Barracks a lot, but I can't help but think that all their promotions and attempts at different things over the last few months have been an attempt to stave off the ineveitable. A great looking bar, thats lacking something that other bars seem to have. I hope it doesn't close, but realistically, I think it will.
    I couldn't agree more. It was one of the best looking pubs in town. I always loved going there. Hope it doesn't close.

i have to agree with the above post in realtion that carlow has too many pubs. its a seven day business and too many of them cannot justify this with some like the barracks and the med bar only busy on a saturday night. Now i dont want anyone to lose their jobs, but i can think of at least 3 pubs that have to be making a loss.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27 IVIada

I used to love The Cellar and Gully's before they both shut down. My favourite would now be O'Loughlin's for the craic but the Barrack's is a real nice pub to watch the football on a game night!

dabestman1 wrote: »
    i have to agree with the above post in realtion that carlow has too many pubs. its a seven day business and too many of them cannot justify this with some like the barracks and the med bar only busy on a saturday night. Now i dont want anyone to lose their jobs, but i can think of at least 3 pubs that have to be making a loss.

The Med is packed on Fridays & Saturdays, with decent numbers in during the week. You'll rarely walk in and find the place empty. The Med is doing very well financially.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

and the worst!

The Med is packed on Fridays & Saturdays, with decent numbers in during the week. You'll rarely walk in and find the place empty. The Med is doing very well financially.
    Apart from the robberies.

dabestman1 wrote: »
    Apart from the robberies.

Shush you might get in trouble for mentioning that around here :D

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭bytheglass

Anyone know if there is any live music on in the tavern tonight?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Wed night in Tullys is deadly crack

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭bogof

Dicey Reillys is good for the crack. Plus all pints shorts cocktails are 3.50 seven days a week. Great music too . Mick will play anything you want

Advertisement