Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Broadband Really Slow

Options
  • 10-09-2007 10:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24

I tried to search for something similar but the search here is pretty crap/I can't use the interwebs.

Anyway, I had Eircom down home in Tralee. It was wireless. The router had one antenna... er... yeah. I think it was an NWG model, Netopia. If it helps we got it before Eircom upgraded the line connection from 1 meg to 2 meg. Anyway, it worked fine, internet browsing was fast, XBOX Live was fine and when properly configured LEGAL torrents worked fine, usually 200ks with a well seeded file.

Anyways... I moved up to Cork to work and we had terrible broadband in the house - Chorus. LOL. So I ordered Eircom broadband again.

I got this router:router156.gif a different one to before.

So I set it up, forwarded ports and all that. But it's painfully slow. For example, that picture of the router above this paragraph was a 10k file. To load the page from the google link took 7-10 seconds. Torrents rarely hit anything over 150ks and even if they do they fall straight back down to 20ks and fluctuate between the two speeds. Browsing is painfully slow.

I use an iMac also.

Now here's the thing that gets me, XBOX Live flies, also through a wireless connection. I download demos at a reasonable speed (can't give an accurate number) and playing Gears online rarely lags and if it does I suspect it's more to do with the server than my connection.

Does anyone have any ideas how to speed up the broadband on my iMac?

Also, I'm posting this here as well as the Mac forum as it might just be my imagination that the XBOX is faster.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

Is there an updated firmware for the router or other (open)DNS settings you could use? Also try turning the firewall down to low.

You should probably only try a firmware update as a last resort. My torrents and Internet browsing have been a bit slow today.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Again a totally misleading heading to a thread. It would seem given that your Xbox flies there is absolutely nothing wrong with your actual broadband connection. To confirm this can you tell us what your speed is with nothing else being used ie torrents (legal or otherwise!) or your x box, imac etc etc. www.irishisptest.com should help you with this.

Incidentally Eircom don't do wireless broadband - you are using a wireless router to distribute your bb to your various users - there is a big difference between that and wireless bb as provided by ibb or digiweb.

Do you have your wireless netowork secured? Are you all (xbox imac torrents and maybe the neighbours!) all attempting to use your connection at the same time?

Advertisement