Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running and yoga

• 10-09-2007 11:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭

I'm on track for the Marathon next month.
    My flexibility is shocking, I certainly can't touch my toes and I'll admit I usually don't stretch before or after runs. Never had any strains or injuries though.

Been doing a bit of reading over the internet about the benefits of yoga. There's no way I'm going to a class but I picked up a yoga DVD with a 1 hour general workout.

Would this be benefical to do for the next few weeks maybe 3-4 times a week? Any runners here do yoga?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭Domer

Yoga is very beneficial to runners. It helps to build up flexibility, and also strengthens your core muscles.

Why not go to a Yoga class? I went a few times last year to a lunchtime course in Dublin, and I found it very worthwhile. There was a majority of women there, but so what. you are going for a specific purpose, and all those there will make you feel comfortable. You could be doing poses and positions incorrectly from the DVD and this could cause injuries. Better to go to a professional and be told what you are doing right and wrong.

Good luck in the marathon... and with the yoga,

Domer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

Certainly would help.
    I did new york marathon last year and the regular yoga practice helped massively to stay loose and help with recovery.

You will only get away with terrible flexibility for so long - be warned!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

if you find a yoga class designed for athletes it will be at least half men there if that is your concern. Having an instructor watch you and manipulate you is a great help.

Advertisement