Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

skins series 2

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭daithi_student

I hope thats not the last we see of Cassie! :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭MikeHoncho

That was one of the worst written most ill judged pieces of television I have seen in a long time. They have ruined this show in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭tvnutz

MikeHoncho wrote: »
    That was one of the worst written most ill judged pieces of television I have seen in a long time. They have ruined this show in my opinion.

Completely agree. Not only was it the worst episode of Skins,it was in fact one of the worst episodes of a tv show I have seen in a long time,and I watch a $hit load of tv! They have ruined this show after a good first season.

What was that about? It felt as if it was written by a 10 year old. I was waiting for it all to be in Cassie's head and although that would have been lazy and Clichéd,it would have been hell of a lot better than that tripe. Right so they go and
    kill off probably the best character on the show,but of course does its really matter because apparantly they are getting rid of the entire cast and getting a new one. Nice way to lose any ratings you had with the show,it won't even be the same show anymore.

Beyond that the last 20 mins were just ridiculous.
    So cassie,for some reason decides to go to New York after Chris dies. Love to see where she got the few grand for the plane ticket and then of course meets an American stranger from Iowa who lets her stay with him. through in some bizzare scene in a nightclub,some bizzare scenes with the american chap having tons of stalker like photos of some bird on his wall and then have him sleep with Cassie only to leave saying she can have his apartment. What?? It just made no sense. Where they trying to be artsy and clever but failed miserably? Did they get a bigger budget after the success of season 1 and decide to blow it and go shoot some scenes in New York for $hits and Giggles.

I don't usually review episodes of this show much because it was only ever just entertaining. Nothing amazing. I enjoyed season 1 but this rubbish (tonights episode) should not be allowed on tv.

Rant Over! :) :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Gingervitis

Couldn't understand the last 20 minutes either...
    Choice of music they use is probably the best thing about it now, which isn't saying much

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Flashraziel

What I want to know is where the hell are that girls parents. They seemed nice, if a little distracted in series one but I doubt they would leave an obviously messed up 17 year old to just go to bristol or wherever it is with no idea where she is staying or anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭BigWilly

It really boggles the mind. I know it's a long-shot, but maybe they explain it in the next episode? Probably not.

They could have had her pack her bags, and ended the show with her just walking off. The New York thing was really unnecessary.

I disagree that it was a bad move kiling Chris off. Because he was many people's favourite character, it makes the next episode a sad one, and a proper ending in many ways.

Que the next season which will probably be led by Tony's little sister. Which I'll probably be told old to be in any way interested in..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

BigWilly wrote: »
    They could have had her pack her bags, and ended the show with her just walking off. The New York thing was really unnecessary.

I think the New York thing was all a dream, a bit like the whole of Tony's episode. I presume the dream is supposed to represent the character resolving their issues, but as a device, it really wasn't pulled off very well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Ruskie4Rent

When the myspace episode came out before this series i was really worried that the show was just going to try and maintain its current audience with stories about partying with trendy bands and and how 'cool' the characters are.
    I think its good how they're taking it in a different direction and at least keeping it interesting. It does seem like that they don't know where they are going with alot of the storylines but the fact that most of us are willing to hold off any final judgement untill the final episode shows that the creators did a good job of keeping our interest throughout. It's the only current youth orientated programe on at the moment that refuses to treat its audience like idiots, which is refreshing IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭MikeHoncho

When the myspace episode came out before this series i was really worried that the show was just going to try and maintain its current audience with stories about partying with trendy bands and and how 'cool' the characters are.
    I think its good how they're taking it in a different direction and at least keeping it interesting. It does seem like that they don't know where they are going with alot of the storylines but the fact that most of us are willing to hold off any final judgement untill the final episode shows that the creators did a good job of keeping our interest throughout. It's the only current youth orientated programe on at the moment that refuses to treat its audience like idiots, which is refreshing IMO.

But that episode last night was very insulting to me as a viewer. It made no sense at all. Its no coincidence that this seasons best episode's were the ones that were most like last season (Chris and Effies). Too much tragedy in the rest. The fact that they had write that whole stalker episode shows that the writers were completly devoid of ideas this season. They knew they needed to try and be a bit different this year to keep people interested but they missed the mark completly and last nights episode is a culmination of that.

MikeHoncho wrote: »
    But that episode last night was very insulting to me as a viewer. It made no sense at all. Its no coincidence that this seasons best episode's were the ones that were most like last season (Chris and Effies). Too much tragedy in the rest. The fact that they had write that whole stalker episode shows that the writers were completly devoid of ideas this season. They knew they needed to try and be a bit different this year to keep people interested but they missed the mark completly and last nights episode is a culmination of that.

Again I completely agree. It felt as if it was written by idiots. Last season it had a lot of contributions from young people,including the guy who plays Posh Kenneth. This season he actually wrote a fairly dodgy episode and it feels like that is what more happened this season and when you look at it as a whole,it feels like it was written by teenagers who have never written scripts before and can't tell a story properly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭KrazeeEyezKilla

The episode reminded me of Six Feet Under. Character has a serious brain condition and collapses at the end of an episode. He then survives only to die later in the next one. He even has unborn child like Nate had in Six Feet Under.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Cokehead Mother

I loved last night. Lots of Cassie, no Maxxie. 'Twas great. I really liked the whole mad New York thing for some reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Couldn't understand the last 20 minutes either...
    Choice of music they use is probably the best thing about it now, which isn't saying much

That song about New York when she was in the appartment wasn't good though.

Be good or be gone was a great choice though.

I think it was grand until she went to New York, surreal, random and most probably unrealistic. A lot of it made little sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I hate when shows do what they did with series 2 of Skins and go the way of giving each character their own episode. They pretty much just drop 60% of the cast out of each episode.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Stekelly wrote: »
    I hate when shows do what they did with series 2 of Skins and go the way of giving each character their own episode. They pretty much just drop 60% of the cast out of each episode.

Season 1 was the same. It works quite well imo

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Pacifico wrote: »
    Season 1 was the same. It works quite well imo
    Saves on writing plausible relationships between the characters too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Marshy

Stekelly wrote: »
    They did the same in Series 1 but I agree that it has been much more obvious and less successful this time around. Take Maxxie, who was very prominent in the first 2 episodes but has barely featured since. There is lack of continuity perhaps that probably wasn't as noticeable in season 1 where I think the episodes were less centred around one individual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Just saw the repeat last night..
    Anyone know the name of that Amy Winehouse song they finished with?

Adele - Hometown Glory, not that skank Whinehouse.

Didn't really like that episode myself. The whole NY thing was very, eh, crap. Pretty much agree with what tvnutz and MikeHoncho were saying about it. A poor penultimate episode, just seemed very distant, or separate, from all the previous episodes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Pretty dire imho. Agree with other posters that the whole NY thing was ill conceived and not fully thought out.

I will be surprised if it is renewed for a third season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 900 ✭✭✭cosgrove80

The New York thing worked for about 3 minutes. The cut from events to NY was unexpected and it's initial separation and contrast was pretty cool but it sure did go downhill fast.

Only one more episode before we get a whole new cast. Should be interesting to see if it works.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 707 ✭✭✭seabee

is tonights episode repeated anytime?

That song about New York when she was in the appartment wasn't good though.

Dude that was LCD soundsystem.Quality song.

Thought and rumblings after discussing with others:
    Adam is an allegorical character.Cassie is often running from her problems rather than tackling them head on. She wouldn't tackle her eating disorder, she just tried to fool the doctors. When Sid disappointed her she tried to kill herself. Then she moved to Scotland.

Again, things have become too much for her and she ran away.

The New York thing seemed a bit random but it's again allegorical. New York is the Big Apple. She is starting a new life there. Who does she meet there? Adam - who ultimately leaves her an apple. New York is an allegory for the Garden of Eden, and Adam represents the temptations available there. Eve committed the original sin when she succumbed to the temptations in the garden and ate the forbidden apple.

New York is tempting for Cassie as it offers a lot of the stuff she's into without the baggage she has left behind. Likewise, Cassie represents a temptation for Adam.

However, Cassie sees through the temptations. It helps her when she sees that Adam is still in love with his girl and she encourages him to go after her. When she gets into bed with Adam she turns the pictures the right way round and clearly states that she isn't going to accept the temptation that Adam - and New York - poses.

I don't see Adam's note as a suicide note. Rather, he's decided to stop moping round in his flat looking at photos of his girl, and go out and try to win her back. The apple he leaves is a final reminder to us of the viewer of the Garden of Eden allegory.

Cassie is crying not over Adam but over what she realises. When she bites the apple it shows she accepts reality - Eden can't last forever and you have to face up to the bad stuff in the world. She is trying to face up to things in life for once and accept what she's running from. It works on another level too as it shows she's breaking the eating disorder cycle again.

I thought this was a very good and well-written episode.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭evil_seed

^^^ thats what i thought too but i couldnt get the words out

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

just watched last nights episode on 4OD, bit of an unusal one, mainly with casie running off to NY, looking forward to the season closer on monday, gonna be a bit different with an all new cast next season, not sure if it will be the same

gotta buy that edale album now as well, cant get that song out of my head

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

seabee wrote: »
    is tonights episode repeated anytime?

4OD (channel4.com)

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

good episode ,so season 3 is going to be about tonys sister......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

what that final song....the du du dudud dudu.

• Advertisement

I just found that conclusion underwhelming. The second series in general and particularly the second half of it has been a disappointment.

what that final song....the du du dudud dudu.

MGMT-Time to pretend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭nikki 122

did anyone see the last episode i'm not going to say what happened in case someone did not see it yet if anyone did send a pm none of my mates watches it and i desperately need to talk about it!! ha

Quite a bad ending to a really bad seaosn. What happened? I really liked season 1,bought it on dvd even. But what kind of an ending was that?
    It felt like they just wanted to push the established characters out of the way as fast as possible so they could focus on Tony's sister,who wasn't even a very good charcter. There were one or two funny bits but beyond that it was just stupid. Especially Syd going around New York which has a population of how many,20 million? with cassie's picture asking have you seen this girl,oh and then they just miss each other by a second. *gag*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭nikki 122

yeah the season was not as funny as it should of been i'm shocked at jals decision!!! she was wrong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

major dissapointment

it was like they had a schedule of episodes, and they overdid early on, now they had to cram everything into the last few eps.

leaving out characters and focusing on crap, chris death seemed all but insignificant... i was never a fan of jal but this episode kinda helped in a way atleast ill never see her again.

it was a ridiculous ending to a ridiculous series, big time dissapointment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Not a very good ending. :(

The one funny moment was when Sid stole the coffin, the ensuing chase around town and then putting him back in the hearse. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭jellie

From a guy that has'nt seen series 1 i thought it was a little depressing but with some funny parts.
    The music in it was prob the best thing about it.

the music in the last episode was weird - girls aloud & britney spears? wouldnt have associated it with skins really!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

sar84 wrote: »
    girls aloud & britney spears? wouldnt have associated it with skins really!

Didn't notice those, bit off for Skins though.

Overall a pretty poor ending too. I take it from the final scene that we'll be seeing more of Effie next season. Thought that was a bit of a cop out, we've already seen as much of her as any of them and I think if they're starting a fresh, then it should be with all new characters. Plus, having her in leaves it open to forced and unnecessary cameos by other cast members, especially Tony (being her brother he'll surely be around some of the time), which again is a bit of a cop out if they were truly trying to change the entire thing next year.

Like so many shows before it, it's gone from an outstanding first series to a less than par second. I'll wait patiently to see what comes up in series 3.

• Advertisement

sar84 wrote: »
    the music in the last episode was weird - girls aloud & britney spears? wouldnt have associated it with skins really!
    Yeah I noticed that too. They seemed to play well known songs as opposed to the more obscure stuff that they usually play.

They threw Heart of Glass and 7 Nation Army in there as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

I enjoyed the series overall. It was very different to the first in that there where far fewer funny moments and the show focused more of the tragic aspects of life.

Advertisement