Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looks like RMA time (Artifacts)

Options
  • 10-09-2007 11:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭

Well ive had my new build for nearly two weeks now.

basic specs:

Q6600
    2gb 800mhz
    x1950pro 256
    Gigabyte GA-P35C-DS3R
    OCZ GameXStream Powersupply ATX/EPS 600W

Well anyways. Been playing the world in conflict demo. And I would randomly get artifacts while playing. The game itself would still run smooth! So anyway when I go to quit the game, the artifacts would remain.

It's happened to me in stalker aswell. So I'm assuming its my x1950pro and I received a dodgy one. I notice the fan making a rattling noise sometimes, plus sometimes when I turn on my PC. The monitor would not turn on. I'd have to restart it.

The card isnt over heating though. But ive tried a number of different drivers for it.

So while I'm pretty sure its the card, someone told me they had the same card and the same problems as me but it turned out to be their PSU.

But as far as I can tell my PSU is running fine and I dunno how to tell otherwise.

Both I got from Komplett, anyways.

Screen shots :

http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/8740/screen0005un5.jpg

http://img119.imageshack.us/img119/8462/deskcz1.jpg

So what do you guys reckon?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

oh man thats nasty rma that sucka straight away , i dont think its your psu

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

Sigh

Well after getting artifacts in the Quake Wars demo I decided I'd take the card out and slap in my 6800GS from my old pc.

And thats when everything went crazy.

My PC turned on nothing came up on the screen (TFT couldnt read the card) then after 10 seconds the PC just turned off. Ive also noticed my CPU fan (Big typhoon) wasnt spinning.

I went to turn it back on again and its just instantly turned back off.

So maybe it is my PSU after all?

I took out the card and turned on the PC and it turned on fine, I then took out my Stalker DVD and turned it off.

I decided to make sure it my 6800GS was ok , so Ive just slapped it into my old PC which I'm typing this on now.

As for my new PC, I dunno wtf. PSU? must be the PSU.... But why did it react so bad to my weaker 6800GS.

I could play games with the x1950pro for 2 hours and nothing, then other days I'd get artifacts with in 5 minutes.

I couldnt even turn on the PC with the 6800..wtf???

So will I RMA the PSU and the card? bah ffs grrrrrrrrrrr:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

hmm does your mobo have an extra molex connector on it to stabilize the volts to the PCIe slots? Are you doing any overclocking?

@Papu: nice sig, lol, i actually thought there was a fly on my screen :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

and ive been blowing at my screen and flicking it....

Grab your pld psu from your old pc, and try it in your new pc. But before that try the new card in your old pc. So you can iliminate a problem with your card or psu. As its doubtfull it will be both.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

I go with what Anti suggested try the old PSU in the new PC and run 3Dmark and see if the system crashes at any point though it could conceivably crash from the PSU not being powerful enough but hopefully that wont happen.

• Advertisement

Cheers for the replies. Thing is my old PC's tower is an artic cooling one so I can't take out the psu from it. But I can try my x1950pro in my old pc and see how that goes.:(

well Ive just been playing a few rounds if WiC with my new card in my old pc and nothing happened. But I;ll have to do some more gaming to be 100% sure my cards ok.

But I guess it must be the PSU for sure then.

Can anyone tell me why it wouldnt even turn on with the 6800 in it? Yet it did with the x1950pro?

Is there any tests I can run to 100% make sure its my psu?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

the 6800gt is a much more power hungry card then the x1950pro. It sounds to me like one or more of the 12v rails are screwed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

3d Mark is pretty intense, www.madonion.com I think

Anti wrote:
    the 6800gt is a much more power hungry card then the x1950pro. It sounds to me like one or more of the 12v rails are screwed.

Oh wow I see, thats surprising. Was under the impression the more powerful the card the more power it used.

Is it common to receive dodgy power supplies? Anyways I guess I'll get it over with and RMA this PSU.

I don't want to slap my card back in and run benchmarks for fear of damaging my card at this stage.

Its fan already makes an annoying rattling sound every now and then.

I was just wondering if there was software that analysis PSU's to see if it works as it should as visually it seems fine.

• Advertisement

Well im fking FURIOUS now. Got major artifacts finishing off with a blue screen of death while playing a rather fun round of ET:QW.

So now I know my card IS ****ed. Probably due to the dodgy psu. But now ive no idea what other damage the PSU could have done.

Or is it likely the PSU could have damaged other parts?
    grrrrrrr

Advertisement