Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats a good RPG

Options
  • 10-09-2007 11:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭

I've always played fps and rts never tried any rpg's untill now, I'm playing through my first one Loki which is a hack n' slash action rpg. I'm pretty surprised to find myself enjoying questing and levelling up and slaying monsters and wowing at the hundreds of weapons and armour, the spells are pretty cool too. I think this particular game isn't brill - it's very hard I'm 40 hours in and have only managed to kill 2 boses, it's a bit repetative but very addictive, anyway can anyone recommend a good similar title, I thought I might try neverwinter nights 2 or dawn of magic next

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

well I LoL'd ... but erm ... wrong forum possibley ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

Depends on what tickles your fancy, since you're hinting at H'n'S I'll start with that.

Diablo II (old-ish but the peak of the H'n'S genre in it's prime)
    Dungeon Siege (somewhat more recent with sequels and a new game due soon enough)
    A very sketchy Sacred (TONS of bugs when I used to play, but had promise).

Other RPGs include:
    Baulder's Gate
    Neverwinter Nights (personally never got into this, bored the hell out of me)
    Vampire Masquerade
    And more... people will be along, I've a bit of a blank atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I hate RPGs, but I loved Knights of the Old Republic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Dungeon siege I and II,
    Planescape torment,
    Deamonstone
    Morrowwind
    Fable

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Second Nekky's suggestion, KOTOR is a great game, and has the added bonus of being really easy to get into, so particularly if you're not used to RPGs and don't want to jump in the deep end, it's a great choice. Would give you an idea of what Mass Effect will be like too.

Personally I'd pretty much just recommend anything Bioware have done, they've got the Western RPG down to an art. Be sure to put Baldur's Gates (particularly II) on your list. NWN is good, but tbh the expansion packs and user content are where it's really at with that game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I'd say Neverwinter Nights 2 is really good. Much better than the first one and going back to it's Baldur's Gate roots. Plus, there's loads of user mods to download for it.

Also, Jade Empire is a good mix of RPG and hack n' slash action.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

NWN has a bewilderingly wonder range of mods

Dreamweaver series were one of the best.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

the gothic series is good,as is icewind dale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭Mawg

Zelda, if you have your hands on a Wii. World of Warcraft is good, but you do have to pay to play it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Spyral

wow is an mmo not a proper rpg per se.

Baldurs gate just get the lot for about a tenner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Third vote for KOTOR as a starting point to get into RPGs.

One of my all time faves is Baldurs Gate II

Icewind Dale and it's sequel are two I've played but I rarely have the time to invest heavily into them so never really got going. I've also Planescape Torment waiting to be played...... Think I'm going to kick off IWDII over Christmas when I've nothing better to be doing.

Neverwinter Nights..... It's not bad but it's a little on the easy side and it was very hard for me to get over a feeling of it being a constructed world from a kit compared to fantastically made sets from the likes of BGII and IWD despite these two being based on old old engines.

Morrowind or Oblivion are first person RPGs and another way of getting into the genre.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

I'm disgusted with you all.

Fallout 2. That is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

Knights of the old republic

Well you can hardly recommend Fallout 2 as a start point. The story may be fantastic and hillariously written, but the controls are a nightmare and would put off most casual gamers.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

humanji wrote:
    Well you can hardly recommend Fallout 2 as a start point. The story may be fantastic and hillariously written, but the controls are a nightmare and would put off most casual gamers.
    I don't care *huff*

It's just a great game and I love it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭Gizzle

Zelda: Links Awakening. That was my first and boy was it sweet....

I don't care *huff*

It's just a great game and I love it.

I know how you feel *hug*

• Registered Users Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭TelePaul

Oblivion!!! SO good.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,960 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

humanji wrote:

Fallout 2 has flaws? :eek:

The only thing that would have turned me off that game when I originally played it was it's first impression. Which was one of a tribal guy moving slowly through a dungeon killing insects with a stick.

Luckily I had someone telling me "Stick with it! it gets better!"

"Gets better" was a vast understatement on their behalf. What a game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

good stuff, thanks guys I shall take a list to game and see what they have, mightn't have alot of these though if they are old, probly end up buying online

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

kotor and jade empire.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Oblivion!!! SO good

So rubbish tbh,, dont waste your cash on it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I hear Valkyrie Profile 2 is quite accessiable for the newbies :p
    But Oblivion is terrific, and probably not quite as stat heavy as some of it's Japanese counterparts. Probably the best way to transfer from FPS to RPG.
    If you are willing to give it a try, Dragon Quest VIII is wonderful. Old skool turn based battles though - needs time and effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Steven

Zelda games are action/adventures. They're great, but not RPGs.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭KoKane

Play the fallout series.

Then play Oblivian

Now drool over a Fallout world with better graphics and detail and bigger than oblivion.

Then visit the falllout 3 homepage :D :eek: :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

play morrowind before oblivion. its a good game and deserves to played without the total overshadowing that oblivion gives it..

but more importantly.

play fallout2. seriously.. i mean.. just.. just go freakin play it.

yeah the interface will take a while to acquaint youself with and such.. but once your an hour in your hooked. once your 10 years in, you occasionally still find surprises and tactics.

also, final fantasy? probably X is the easy place to start, but VII is best

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

Try Might & Magic 6,7 or 8

Really addictive and engrossing RPG's. Personally i think the outdated look graphics of 3D and 2D make the game much more enjoyable to play as well. The ninth game was completely 3D and personally was quite crap and didn't recieve as much popularity as it did. The games got progressively worse after 6 but if you try 6 and enjoy it you will definetly enjoy 7 & 8, or try any of them for that matter and id say you will enjoy them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

Vampire: The Masquerade Bloodlines (highly recommended)
    KOTOR
    Diablo 2
    Fallout 1 + 2
    Baldurs Gate 1 + 2
    Planescape Torment
    Gothic 1 + 2
    Morrowind
    Oblivion

• Registered Users Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Play KOTOR 2 first, that'll let you adjust to RPG's although still have an actionie feel.
    Then play
    Planescape Torment
    Fallout 2
    Baldurs Gate 2

It's important to note that those last three games are imo the best three games ever made, however, the only way you will ever like them is if you committ to playing through the first three hours. If you don't, and quit before then, you'll leave hating them, as the first sections of all of them are utter crap, although BG2 is the least worst. Once you get past that, you'll spend your life playing the games until they are finished.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

mawk wrote:

also, final fantasy? probably X is the easy place to start, but VII is best

thank you, 2 pages and no one mentions final fantasy?

Advertisement